Star Wars VII Force Awakens - What'd ya think?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Big_Bend, Dec 20, 2015.

1. wildschwein

wildschwein Tele-Afflicted

The thing with these films is to have fun and not get bogged down in minute details of logic -- it's all made up and not possible. I don't like Lord Of the Rings stuff so I just don't watch it. Life's too short really to ***** about how movies don't meet your extensive specific criteria when there are a lot of people in world scratching around for a morsel to eat, or people with disabilities who can't see or hear these flicks. I feel lucky to be getting more Star Wars films and privileged to be able to enjoy every one of them as an event.

And now to go into minute details of internal logic. A lot of people have commented on how Rey was able to defeat Kylo but he was harbouring some pretty heavy wounds by being shot with Chewie's crossbow -- we saw how much damage that thing could do when Han shot it earlier in the film. The film also shows Kylo banging on hs wound during the fight as to get himself through it -- also he just killed his dad. I think too that Rey has more power than she remembers and was probably trained by Luke as a child but has had the memory blocked or suppressed. We will find out later I guess.

I enjoyed the Kylo villain -- he's torn between good and bad; acting like a spoiled adolescent with grand visions of universal domination, talented, untrained, scared and flawed in so many ways -- it's a very human 3D portrayal of the dark side.

2. beach bob

beach bob Friend of Leo's

Here ya go...

3. beach bob

beach bob Friend of Leo's

Took the family to see it last night. It was a hum-dinger, and we totally enjoyed it, and all had a great time.

Definitely it felt like a remake of Episode IV. I don't care. I even whispered lines from Blue Harvest during the movie to my son... There's all manner of things to make fun of in the Star Wars franchise, and Family Guy did fine sendups of 4, 5, and 6, and I still love the original stuff. My son spent the afternoon watching 4 - 6 as a warm up activity, and I caught the last 45min of no. 6 when I got home from work... there's a ton of silly jokes in it. WHO CARES [OK I realize some do care a great deal]. It's like ordering mint chocolate chip ice cream and grumbling that there are black specks in it and it lacks the acidity of a good orange sorbet. Feh. Buy the ticket, take the ride.

The Millennium Falcon coming back to life was the best part, for me. Glad it still looks like a piece of junk, like always. That fight / flight scene after Rey and Fin get it in the air was mighty cool.

They even included a scene where Rey wanders into the basement of Maz Kanata's castle, and after an exhaustive three minute search, find's Luke's light saber :D ... very much reminded me of Ep5, when Luke goes wandering into the swamp and encounters his own face in a Darth's mask. Way to grind the movie to a halt, guys! :D

I'll go back and see it in a week or so. Maybe 3D this time. It's fun stuff.

4. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Poster Extraordinaire

A group from the office watched it last night, and the tickets available were for the 3D version. I'm not a big fan of that and would not otherwise do it. It was worth seeing, but if it had not been a group holiday activity, I could have waited until it was out on DVD. I've largely forgotten who is who and what happened in the 3 leading up to this and saw the other 3 once but have largely forgotten them as well.

How did Han Solo get unfrozen from the Empire Strikes Back days?

5. J-man

J-man Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    It was better than I thought it would be and I enjoyed it. I thought they played it very safe - not necessarily a bad thing though, considering the prequels..

6. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

Wait a minute, the scroll the text at the beginning of all the movies just like the original? I have only seen the original one.

7. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Poster Extraordinaire

I predict that Rae or Rey (or whatever) will turn out to be the daughter of Luke Skywalker and cousin to Kylo Ren.

That will set up the next several movies fairly well, a family feud with high force factor, one good cousin and one bad one.
    The purpose of Disney buying Lucas Films for so much money was to use them to make a lot more money. So more films, more characters and robots and things for merchandising, and more money pursuit were made possible by the delivery of Rae to Skywalker for further training.

That ugly dude from Girls was a bad choice for Ren, IMO. But maybe they wanted someone with a strange appearance that people could root against and in favor of his more attractive female adversary in all the future installments.

8. Diamond Dave

Diamond Dave Tele-Meister

Actually, that's exactly what the mask is. He's obsessed with Darth Vader. People who aren't into Star Wars wouldn't bother to wonder if Luke Skywalker were behind the mask, and people who are would know better since there were pictures of Kylo Ren without the mask, clearly showing it to be Adam Driver and not Mark Hamill, for a long while before the film was released...in addition to the not-so-secret plot, which had Rey walking up to Jedi Luke at the very end of the film.

9. Diamond Dave

Well, Luke was strong enough in the Force to shoot those torpedos down the exhaust port without his tracking system...and the fact that he was flying an x-wing is pretty remarkable. Anakin was the only human who could podrace, and as a child, too. So it's not like there's no precedent for Force sensitives to do powerful things with no training. Plus, Kylo Ren's training is incomplete, which Snoke himself said. So for Rey to nick him a few times isn't inconceivable. She didn't cut off his arms and legs or anything. :twisted:

10. Diamond Dave

Aaaaaaaaaaaaand having said that...I liked the movie. It was just what was needed. A reboot, a chance to reunite with old friends and a reminder of why we used to love Star Wars. Have there been better movies? Lord yes. But this film was a specific fix for a problem. The slate is cleared. Onward.

11. cyclopean

cyclopean Friend of Leo's

All the Joseph Campbell archetypes still apply. It's part of being human.

12. captainc

captainc Tele-Meister

I’d rather have the list of minor complaints of this film than what we got with the prequels. I loved this film. The nods to the originals did not bother me in the least. The humor was subtle and good. My favorite being Han trying out Chewie’s Crossbow. You could nitpick ANY of the original films (Ewoks come to mind)… well maybe except for Empire Strikes Back.

I’m thankful they were made, thankful JJ Abrams made them, loved every minute of them and won’t be complaining a bit. It was FUN. And its not often you get to go to a movie and have it just be a thrill. Mad Max hit that mark for me too but that’s another thread.

13. Ash Telecaster

Ash Telecaster Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

But Luke was already a "bush" pilot and he had some training from Ben including having Bens voice in his head.

The Anakin point is a pretty good one though and so is your point about Kylo being wounded...plus he was a goob, a Vader wannabe.

14. fatcat

fatcat Friend of Leo's

Overall; I liked it. Action packed too.

But the storyline went a little sideways.

Another Death Star; Really! Story should have focused on the original path of finding Luke. They could have stretched that out to a couple of films even.

The acting was still much better than episodes 1-3.

15. captainc

captainc Tele-Meister

The same can be said for Return of the Jedi.

What doesn’t bother me about it is its totally feasible for any iteration of the Empire to be obsessed with being able to and perfect the ability to wipe out entire planets

16. Boomhauer

Boomhauer Friend of Leo's

Was it my imagination, or was Supreme Leader Snoke mentioned by name in RotJ?

17. Diamond Dave

Your imagination.

18. Diamond Dave

This is fun...Rey was already a pilot, too (to Finn's disbelief), and may have had Obi-Wan and Yoda's voices in her head, as both spoke to her in her vision when she picked up Luke's lightsaber.

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/12/20/jj-abrams-reveals-obi-wan-and-yoda-are-star-wars-force-awakens

But the REAL question is--who plays what instrument? I think Rey is the tele queen. Humble but don't eff with her or you'll get a ash plank to the noggin. Finn is the drummer. He can't sit still. He's all syncopated and in a hurry. Needs to bang on something to release some nervous energy. Poe is the lead guitarist. Space jockeying and strat wanking go hand-in-hand.

19. captainc

captainc Tele-Meister

Woah woah woah woah….

Wait a second… a good read (thanks for sharing) but whilst reading, it just occurred to me that this is the Blue Lightsaber which would have gone down the chute in Cloud City when his hand was cut off.

I have to ponder this… I now am faced with an unanswered question.

20. KokoTele

KokoTele Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

That was exactly how I felt about it, and is my response to those that didn't like how much it paralleled A New Hope. The prequels derailed the franchise, and it needed to be put back on track for new generations, so it was necessary for it to be similar to the first one.

I'll be pissed if the final two chapters are reboots of Empire and ROTJ, though.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.