Star Wars VII Force Awakens - What'd ya think?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Big_Bend, Dec 20, 2015.

1. Big_Bend

Big_Bend Poster Extraordinaire

SPOILERS (duh)

I saw the new Star Wars movie yesterday with my family, big screen 3D. Always such a rush when those iconic words and music scroll across the screen as the movie starts. Takes me back to 1977 when I 13 and the first movie came out. Has it been that long? Time flies. I absolutely loved this new movie! Really felt like a modern remake of Episode IV A New Hope, done with a masterful genius. It was a wonderful experience yesterday.

Some unanswered questions tho...

I was thinking, that Supreme Leader Snoke looks a lot like Gollum, and sure enough, its the same dude! How did that happen?

And who knew that Han Solo and Princess (er, General) Leia had a kid who turned out so rotten? Those Jedi people having babies, ya never know how it'll go. Will Han Solo come back from the dead in the next 2 movies?

And whats up with the map with the missing piece... did Luke do that? Did someone else split the map? Why did Luke make a map in the first place?

And who are Rey's parents? I'm guessing Darth Vadar had a mistress somewhere... Rey will have fun in Episode VIII being trained by Luke the new obi-wan esque jedi master... can't wait! Poor Finn, he wants to be a Jedi, but he just doesn't have what it takes.

But ya, great movie, I want to go see it again soon and try to catch all the twists again. What do you think about the new Star Wars? What questions do you have after having seen it? Gona go see it again?

Always an adventure when a new Star Wars movie is released... I bet George Lucas is proud of this one.

2. Skully

Skully Doctor of Teleocity

Those things are plot devices with too much of the machinery showing -- in other words, they don't feel organic. For me, the worst one was Kylo Ren's mask. Darth Vader needed his. What was Ren's excuse? A tribute to grandpa? To me, it was clear it was just a filmmaking device to create mystery and confusion, and get you thinking, "Is it really Luke Skywalker behind that mask?"

3. JReazor

JReazor Tele-Holic

That plot device was also used in the novels before Disney bought the property. Jacen Solo became Darth Caedus and did lots of bad stuff. Predictably, he wound up dead.

As for Kylo Ren's mask, anyone who was paying attention would have known that it wasn't Luke. They made no secret of Adam Driver's role. I guess very casual fans might have been led to believe that it was Luke but I don't think that was the film maker's intent. This was the first movie in the cycle. There is still an awful lot that we don't know. Kylo held a great deal of reverence for his grandfather. It may indeed be a tribute to him. On the other hand, we don't know anything about The Knights of Ren yet. The mask could be part of a uniform. There's plenty of precedent for that. Stormtroopers, Mandalorians, The Imperial Guard.

Don't get me wrong, the movie was far from perfect but I didn't have a problem with either of those points.

4. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

I'll tell you in about 6-9 months, when it hits the Market Square Theater, and I can see it for 2.50

5. kylejf90

kylejf90 Tele-Meister

Just finished watching it about an hour ago! Oh man! it was really good. However, I do agree with the complaints that nothing felt organic. Kylo seemed like a kid putting on his dad's/grandpa's boots and playing pretend, but, I think that was intentional.

6. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

So, nothing felt "organic," kinda like shoehorning C3PO and R2D2 into Episode 1.
    Hmm, methinks I'll be giving this one a miss too.

7. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

Somebody has a very GOOD Agent!!!

8. hazcat

hazcat Tele-Meister

I saw it at a special screening at an ungodly time of day, so I was in danger of nodding during the coming attractions. With that as an indicator of my mental state, I thought Episode VII felt very much of a piece with the original trilogy in terms of its tone.

Also, at least at that screening in that theater, the soundtrack was dialed to "Tufnel." The guy next to me wore earplugs through the whole thing and reported no difficulty in hearing dialogue. At least, I think that's what he said.

I enjoyed it for what it was, and if nothing else, it's helping me to forget the most recent series. Let us not forget to thank George Lucas for not directing.

9. raito

raito Poster Extraordinaire

Since we're spoilering...

My wife got tickets months ago to the new fancy theater. A 12" pizza was 17 bucks and nothing special. And if your'e going to serve 'Tie(Thai) Fighter Pasta', you should probably make it bowties instead of linguine.

The movie did not suck. Abrams apparently is more scared of Star Wars fanboys than Star Trek fanboys.

The comment about it being Star Wars (I refuse the appellation Episode IV) is dead on, and one of the movie's good points. There are many scenes that echo that movie, albeit staged with different characters. That made it familiar enough to work.

My largest quibble could be best described (and you guys here will understand) as 'analog' vs. 'digital'. To be specific, the sort of digital that feels it necessary to hide it's digitalness by attempting to hide behind digitally added dirt, thus making the digitalness even more screamingly obvious. But that's not such a large thing (I spent several years doing programming related to computer graphics, though not for movies, some things jump out at me).

The original characters are left intact. They act like themselves. This is also good.

I didn't associate Snoke with Gollum, though I knew that Serkis played him. Serkis may or may not have a good agent. It hardly matters. He's the 'it' guy for mo-cap now, and producers call him. I associates Snoke with Voldemort. Seems like all CGI bad guys go sans nose.

Now the plot quibbles. Many of them are cyclical in nature (i.e. the same stupid holes are in the other movies).

Where do these bad guys keep popping up from? In Star Wars, there were 4 (plus 1 yet to meet). Obi-wan, the Emperor, Darth Vader, Luke, and Yoda. By the end of Return of the Jedi, only Luke is left. Where do they keep coming from? And where did they get (if they ever did) >their< training?

Yes, we know that Ren is an idiot adolescent, but is he really that blind to try to do a Vader? He's Han and Leia's son, and trained under Luke. Did he really never learn that Vader repented in the end? And even if no one told him, why hasn't Anakin's ghost (or Yda's, or Obi-wan's) shown up and slapped some sense into him? Weak, very weak. Smacks of sitcom continuity. The mask didn't bother me. Look how easily he could be persuaded to take it off.

And Luke is still a putz. Let's see, his mentor had been his father's teacher. And when his father went bad, Obi-wan ran off and hid. And we saw how that turned out for Alderan, if for no one else. So what does Luke do? His student goes off the rails, and he runs and hides! He has learned nothing!

And on the subject of where do these guys keep popping up, it sure seems like a good way to be a Jedi is to be a slave on a desert planet (must be the spice). Anakin, Luke (not really a slave, he just felt like one), now Rey. No, we'll never see her parents again. They don't fit into the story, and since the larger theme is 'who is your family', we'll never see them, as people who would give you up aren't your family.

10. Crowcaster

Crowcaster Tele-Holic

I enjoyed it and had fun. We were in Minneapolis over the weekend. I figured I wouldn't be able to roll in and buy a ticket on Friday and so I planned on seeing 'In the Heart of the Sea," but my wife had contacted my old buddy that lives there and got us both premier tickets.....3D with the motion seats. I'd never seen a movie in those seats.

Since so far Snoke has been an image that looks large and intimidating, I'm guessing we find out later that he's really Yoda size.

Good fun and look forward to the next one......How long do you think we'll wait for the next one? I told my buddy on the way out, "Harrison Ford is such a curmudgeon, they couldn't sign him up for any more."

11. Maricopa

Maricopa Friend of Leo's

It was pretty OK. Nice change of pace from those three cartoon suckfest prequels. Maybe a little too 'schmaltzy' in places but nicely done. Very much more 'Empire' in feel and pacing.

12. captainc

captainc Tele-Meister

Just got back

I absolutely loved it. And loved it jus as much as the originals. Saw both ESB and ROTJ On opening day and this film brought me the same joy. The only think I sort of missed was the 20th Century Fox bumper. I always associated that with Star Wars. But he second that line came on screen and the words Star Wars appeared I was in awe. I get the sense that Rey is Luke's Daughter. Will Mara Jade Skywalker be written in? And I also think Kylo might be the pupil Luke trained and "failed"

This film did not disappoint

Thank you JJ Abrams

13. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

I liked it. as much as the originals. I have the same questions as you guys posted, but I was just enjoying the film like I was transported back in time..

It's also a good thing that Chewbacca didn't "howl" as much as he did before. His sound kept ringing my ears for days when I was a kid.

14. kylejf90

kylejf90 Tele-Meister

I can't help but feel like they did manage to recapture the magic of episode IV

Last edited: Dec 21, 2015
  15. wildschwein

wildschwein Tele-Afflicted

I enjoyed it, but it perhaps contains a few too many post-modern "winks" to the audience where it is very obviously referencing the earlier movies. It largely follows the plot of Episode IV with a bit of Empire and Jedi thrown in. I want to see more though. Excellent visuals -- worth seeing in 3D. I dig all the films including the prequels.

16. Baloo010

Baloo010 TDPRI Member

I enjoyed every minute of it and would watch it again, if it wasn't going to cost me 20bucks.

JJ obviously played it safe. No big surprises, basically the same story as the very first movie. I love Fin and Rey I think they make a great team.
    Few things I didn't like:
    How come the entire Resistance only has 12 xwings?
    How come the entire "First Order" which built a gigantic cannon into a planet can't deal with 12 planes?
    That silver storm trooper had no reason to be in the movie. But maybe he will be important later, afterall it's just the first movie.
    I didn't like that we saw Skylo's face that early.
    Too many jokes. Although all of them were really funny and I laughed everytime, sometimes it felt a little too much.

Can't wait for the next one!

17. Coop47

Coop47 Poster Extraordinaire

I thought it was fun, beautifully shot, and well-paced. None of the bloat that stretched Epi's 1-3 into three movies when they should've been two.

Minor quibbles - as Big Bend says above, the map makes no sense as a plot device, and R2 suddenly coming to life for no apparent reason other than to move things along was far too convenient. And in the scene preceding it, the Falcon lands and a grieving Chewie walks right past a grieving Leia so that she and Rey can embrace. That drove me nuts - the two people (people, wookies, bi-peds, whatever) who were closest to Han don't even look at each other?

The movie won me back a few scenes later when Chewie helped Rey in the cockpit. That was so deft and very quick, but a powerful bit of storytelling.

18. CrisHendrix

CrisHendrix Tele-Afflicted

Unless her parent is Luke or Obi Wan. But the bad guys popping up I look at as something like WW2. Once Hitler was defeated there wasn't just everlasting world peace after that. There's always new bad guys somewhere in the world, and in Star Wars there's an entire galaxy of them. I did think the First Order was too similar to the Empire though, would've been more daring to create an entirely new evil organization but then we'd lose the stormtroopers and such.

19. Bill

Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

It's gotten rave reviews.

SPOILERS....

Yet I didn't like it. It reshot so many of the same scenes from the original that it felt unimaginative and frankly, awkward. Like, "OK, here is the scene of him blasting the lock to open the door, here is the scene of 'what's that smell?', here is the scene where father and son meet on the catwalk, here is the scene of the of them shooting as the storm troopers rush back into the ship, here is the scene of the "don't get cocky, kid." I mean there were literally dozens. The more I think about it, the less I like it.

20. captainc

captainc Tele-Meister

I loved it...

The nods to the originals didn't bother me. I think if anything you can thank the prequels for that.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.