Stanelectro #001 -first attempt at something resembling a guitar..

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by SeanSt, Jul 27, 2013.

1. SeanSt

SeanSt TDPRI Member

It's my first post here after weeks of lurking gathering inspiration and a deeper appreciation of all the things I don't know!

After a lot of deliberation I decided on a rough copy of my Danelectro U2 reissue which I love. True to the reissues, I figured a ply framed, chambered, and hardwood capped body. Hopefully ply will be a little more forgiving than hefty hardwood.

Stage one was making a table suitable for the task out of 2x4 and 3/4" Ply. And before anyone mentions it my garage does need a serious tidy up one of these days ;)

[​IMG]

All the hardware arrived last week so I made a start on a first attempt at template and body. I took an outline on paper from my body and copied it onto 1/2" MDF. Quite a while later after some jigsaw work and sanding it came out something like this.

[​IMG]

3 sheets of 1/2" far eastern ply were laminated with innumerable clamps to make a blank for the body.

[​IMG]

Which with a template outline and some rough plans for the chambers looks like this.

[​IMG]

A rough cut with the jigsaw today is likely to be the last thing for a few days while I wait for a router table to cut it exactly to the template.

[​IMG]

Hopefully no disasters so far, but lots of questions running through my head that I hope the TDPRI experts can help me with! Without this forum, it would definitely have been a day dream, not a real hunk of wood. There's so much great free information on here for me to fall back on.

2. crazygtr

crazygtr TDPRI Member

Welcome to the forum, remember that plywood don't act like wood so sand as close to the line as possible and then rout.

3. SeanSt

SeanSt TDPRI Member

Thanks for the tip, it's around 2-3mm from the line (on the flip side) with a few slightly wider sections, how close should I go before I rout?

4. crazygtr

crazygtr TDPRI Member

The line is off cut material, go as close as posible, even touching, without erasing it. Index your template first so when it's time to rout, you position the template in the exact same position as you marked it.

5. SeanSt

SeanSt TDPRI Member

Thanks, I have a few days till the router table gets here to sort out the indexing and tidy up the outline.

I'll have a few goes trying out the router shaping a surfing handplane to a template before I try to destroy the body! I suppose plywood is cheap and plentiful if it all goes horribly wrong...

6. ModerneGuy

ModerneGuy Tele-Holic

Good luck with the build, I've just been wrestling with a Dano style DC myself (Builds four & five ...) with varying degrees of success, though I'm yet to wire it I'm sure it will sound "right". What material are you using for the top - Masonite? Your post says hardwood ...and maybe that's what you meant.

Look forward to following this. Cheers

7. SeanSt

SeanSt TDPRI Member

Thanks ModerneGuy, I do love the sound of Danelectros, incredible sound for £100 in the shop over here.

Hardwood was sadly a typo, it's Hardboard, which is the closest thing to masonite I could get locally.

Did you use the original style pickup mount through the back of the guitar? If you did I'd love to know how deep you routed for it. I struggled to find much info via Google about it. I've even thought about removing the mount and attaching them direct to a pickguard to make things simpler.

Is you're build posted on here?

Sean

8. ModerneGuy

ModerneGuy Tele-Holic

Sean, I have a thread going on at the moment but the pick-up part isn't documented. The thread is here.

I did do the pickups from the back and basically routed the cavity down pretty close to the back board. I was really worried about this part but it turned out ok and the pickups lined up fine and were easy to thread. I'll have to have a bit of think about what my method was and get back to you later.

Sorry, gotta go and get my son to football (yes, the proper round ball one!)

cheers, Dario

9. SeanSt

SeanSt TDPRI Member

If mine comes out even half as good as your aubergine sparkle I'd be delighted!

Thanks

Sean

10. ModerneGuy

ModerneGuy Tele-Holic

Keep reading, and try to keep the tears at bay! ; )

11. SeanSt

SeanSt TDPRI Member

What a nightmare! It looked absolutely stunning, it would be a real shame to have to totally refinish :(

I think I'll be going a lot simpler for a finish!!!

12. Roy72

Roy72 TDPRI Member

I will be watching this one with interest.

13. Crafty Fox

Crafty Fox Tele-Afflicted

Me too!!!

14. ModerneGuy

ModerneGuy Tele-Holic

Ok, I found some photos and took a couple more this afternoon - hope they help!

First photo is of the frame - not the final thing as I ended up thinning it to around about where the sharpie line is. I left a centre block mainly as I thought it might be structurally stronger and easier to glue up. The wider section is support the bridge. You can see the pickup route positions pencilled in. In the second photo you can see that the pickup cavities go all the way to the back sheet of masonite (the holes are from the forstner bit).

[​IMG][​IMG]

In terms of lining up the pickups and the height screws it was really very easy. I just lined up the holes by putting the template on the back of the guitar and rested the pickups in the there and marked where the mounting holes are. This photo is from today - the template is on the back and sitting on the strap button - so a bit wonky, but you get the idea.

Cheers, and all the best with the build - I'll be following closely.

[​IMG]

15. SeanSt

SeanSt TDPRI Member

Thanks guys, prepare to be dissapointed! ;)

16. SeanSt

SeanSt TDPRI Member

Template on the back, that is genius! It will be infinitely easier doing it that way... Thanks for the advice!

Sean

17. crazydave911

crazydave911 Poster Extraordinaire

What you lacked there having a router table wasn't much ;) LINK

18. SeanSt

SeanSt TDPRI Member

There's no shortage of materials here, but some thing with a reliable fence/power switch seemed like a better idea than one of my wobbly creations!

19. SeanSt

SeanSt TDPRI Member

Not much action today, the router table is still en route... Everything takes a very long time to get to the middle of the north sea.

I did sort out some exact template positioning with dowel, appearance shouldn't matter as this is just the internal frame.

Once I had that lined up perfect I cut very close to the line with the jigsaw, almost touching the line. Next step routing to the template, hopefully one day very soon!

[​IMG]

20. SeanSt

SeanSt TDPRI Member

So I finally summoned the nerve to rout the body to the template outline today, and amazingly no real disasters. All body parts still in place and no terminal disasters with the body!

The router table I ordered wasn't really big enough and didn't leave enough cutting depth. But it was only £30 and will do for other woodworking stuff. So I started my own table construction from 2x4s and mdf, waiting on some perspex as the insert.

I did it all handheld with a flush trim bit, terrifying!

[​IMG]
    Didn't turn out too bad...

[​IMG]
    There were a few areas of burn/snipe

[​IMG]
    Generally very happy with how it's going so far, time to move on to the chambers tomorrow, then glue on the hardboard veneers.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.