Standing In the Shower Thinking. How does he play this??

Dacropoly

TDPRI Member

A few months ago I dropped this song into Anytune Pro with the goal of learning how to play it. When I got to the solo I could not figure out how Dave Navarro played the first few notes.

The notes are super high. At first I thought it was a Whammy Pedal. But the Whammy’s did not come out until 1989… Then I thought it has to be a slide being played over the pickups. I left it at that, and learned it by playing the first few notes with a slide. It was really awkward, and never quite sounded like the recorded version.

Dave never played the recorded solo live like the record. So even after watching a bunch live clips I was still at a loss.

Until tonight.

There I was eating my medium rare steak, and drinking an Arnold Palmer at Swinger’s Diner in West Hollywood. Who walks in…? Who sits at the booth next to mine facing me…? My facial recognition has never been great. You add a hat, mask, and glasses to the mix, and this person could have been anyone.

Now here I am. Am I going to be that guy? I am never that guy. Is it even him??? But I thought it’s only a few notes man. A question about 3 notes I thought. If it was indeed Dave Navarro would he even remember what he played? It’s not like asking for a selfie I thought.

Dave played those few notes by pulling the high E string down off the fretboard toward the ground. The notes sounded by the high E string touching the body of the guitar. I said but the notes were in key. He said yes it was not random. But the problem he said was the E string had to be pulled so far that they would break. He said that is why he did not try to play it live.

He said he never had a guitar player ask him about that solo. He said I blew his mind, and he thanked me for making his night.

Bottom line is I still can’t play the first 3 notes of the solo, but at least I now know how he did it.

Nightclub Dwight

Friend of Leo's
I still owe Dave Navarro twenty bucks. Telecaster content, I promise.

Back in the last century when Reagan was still president, JA was on their first US tour and they spent a few days in NYC with one of my best friends. I'm not sure how to put this politely, and with the respect that I have for her, but she always managed to "befriend" musicians of a certain stature. I've met some serious people through her. Anyhoo, she rode with them to New Haven where we all hooked up before the show. Afterwards, she and I headed over to Dave's room for the afterparty. We walked in and he was playing a white Telecaster, unplugged, sitting on the bed. He had just ordered Dominos pizza. Most of you who have been on this forum for any length of time have probably witnessed my passionate defense of authentic New Haven pizza (the undisputed best in the land), so I first complemented him on the Telecaster, noting that it was my favorite guitar, and then sort of let Navarro have it. He had a half-assed defense about being on the road, yada, yada, yada. But he also confirmed that he loved to play the Telecaster every night when he got back to the hotel after the show.

In time, talk turned to party favors. Me, being the local, offered to go get some. Dave gave me twenty bucks, and me and my friend set out for the sort-of mean streets of New Haven circa nineteen eighty something. It was one of those nights when everything went wrong. In the end she and I decided to bail, and headed back to my place to crash. By the time we got up the next day it was probably sound check time in Boston or some other god-awful Northeast city with substandard pizza.

I always intended to give him his twenty bucks back, but it just never worked out. Had I been with the OP the other day, Dave would have been paid twenty bucks for the guitar lesson.

One of these days.

Peegoo

Doctor of Teleocity
Navarro is a beast.

Sounds to me like string is not touching the body of the guitar; rather, it's being pulled over the edge of the fingerboard and around toward the back of the neck. That glissando/slide sound is the string skipping off the ends of the frets as he pulls the string hard and releases it.

If you want to try this, do a hard bend by pulling and rolling the high E string over the side of the fingerboard at the 12th fret.

Use your index, middle, and ring fingers together for the best control.

Last edited:

Dacropoly

TDPRI Member
Navarro is a beast.

Sounds to me like string is not touching the body of the guitar; rather, it's being pulled over the edge of the fingerboard and around toward the back of the neck. That glissando/slide sound is the string skipping off the ends of the frets as he pulls the string hard and releases it.

If you want to try this, do a hard bend by pulling and rolling the high E string over the side of the fingerboard at the 12th fret.

Use your index, middle, and ring fingers together for the best control.

You are probably right. I wish he could have actually showed me. He did say as I was leaving to go get a bunch of single high E strings. He said most of the time the string breaks when he tries it.

PhredE

Tele-Afflicted
Dave played those few notes by pulling the high E string down off the fretboard toward the ground. The notes sounded by the high E string touching the body of the guitar.

Jeff Beck was one of a handful of guitarists of 'the era' that did that sort of thing a lot, but mostly with the 6th (low E) and A strings. Example: the bend ('pulling' downward, vs bending/pushing upward) of D (6th str, 10th fret) up to the E (on A str; 7th fret) is a good example. Do it fast (as opposed to the high note full step bends players often do on the high strings..) for full effect.

Cool story.

SixStringSlinger

Poster Extraordinaire
The "Master of Puppets" solo has something similar. Kirk Hammett was doing a bend and slid off the fretboard. Pretty sure that one was in the "accidental-but-cool" category, though.

Doctor of Teleocity
I remember buying that tape when it first came out. I also saw them play at the first Lollapalooza in Raleigh, NC. I don’t remember much of the show, except they had a dancer or two with S&M trappings. A little piercing/tattoo tent was set up outside during the festival, this was a few years before it became mainstream.

drmordo

Tele-Afflicted
Navarro is a big deal for me and my close friends. We wore out the JA albums and the bootlegs we could find, and spent a fair amount of time leaning his licks. My first real concert was seeing them on their last tour.

I always wondered about "Standing in the Shower", but I always assumed it was a combination of a bend and yanking up on the wang bar. I love that you had the presence of mind to ask him about it. I also love that he was cool enough to answer you!

Very cool story!

Dacropoly

TDPRI Member
Navarro is a big deal for me and my close friends. We wore out the JA albums and the bootlegs we could find, and spent a fair amount of time leaning his licks. My first real concert was seeing them on their last tour.

I always wondered about "Standing in the Shower", but I always assumed it was a combination of a bend and yanking up on the wang bar. I love that you had the presence of mind to ask him about it. I also love that he was cool enough to answer you!

Very cool story!

Thanks! He seemed really excited that I asked. He did not even take a second to think about the answer. He knew exactly what notes I was asking about. He processed it instantaneously, and went right into an answer. That did floor me. Before I asked I was thinking I may have to cue the song up. Just a really good experience.

drmordo

Tele-Afflicted
Thanks! He seemed really excited that I asked. He did not even take a second to think about the answer. He knew exactly what notes I was asking about. He processed it instantaneously, and went right into an answer. That did floor me. Before I asked I was thinking I may have to cue the song up. Just a really good experience.

I'm pretty jealous. I've really only met a couple of guys who influenced me, and only one who influenced me that much. I'll tell the story 'cause it's quick - I met Greg Lisher after a Camper Van Beethoven show and we chatted for a minute or two where I got to tell him that I was a huge fan and he had been a big influence over the years. He was very cool and said I should contact him on facebook (which I don't do) and we shook hands.

Not as cool as your Dave Navarro story, though, because you had that specific question to roll out.

Danjabellza

Friend of Leo's
So I hate to let my “millennial” show… but I didn’t realize that Janes addiction has been around that long. I heard their songs on the radio and in movies growing up, so I kinda just figured they were a mid-90’s alternative band. The more you know…