Standard shape tele pickguard for TV jones

ReverendRevolver

Friend of Leo's
There hasn't been a thread on this in 15 years. I'm hoping things have changed.

Order is in for a Japan junior tele. Order is in for the Bootstrap Pretzel bridge pickup. Order is in for TV jones Setzer signature neck pickup.

I need a pickgaurd to put the TV jones in.

WD would be ~$60to$65 USD for a mint green 3ply (or matte black) guard cut for a TV Jones, after shipping. For reference, it's $15 tops shipped for one not from them but cut standard. For a $50 price gap I'd use a drill and file the shape out before I'd pay them that.
Also, they have one shade of mint, which looks like stagnant urine. So total no-go.
There's a UK company on ebay that has like 6 different mint green variations, including both single and 3 ply in beautiful actual mint green (totally still exists, who knew...) it'd be just about $50, because crossing the pond costs $15. Oh, and they have one with proper mij screw placement.

But I'm hitting my upper limits on what I'm feeling for upgrade parts.
$50 would be rough. Like, generic block saddles and not buying a strap for it.

Who does reasonably priced guards cut for TV jones 'tron shaped neck pickups that are regular tele shape guards?

Or do I just snag a template and hope for the best? I don't have tools to make that job go easily, but I could theoretically get access to some.

Last edited:

ReverendRevolver

Friend of Leo's
Your best option is to get a standard pickguard and then get with a pal that does woodworking and knows how to use a router. Making a template is a cinch and cutting the hole for the Filtertron is simple to do.
Thank you.
The more I look at pictures of the Junior series next to real teles, the more the guard looks "shrank". So I'm thinking $13 mint guard and using the stock guard as a guide for the perimeter and then carve a 'tron hole.

standup

Tele-Meister
Looks like guitarfetish has Tele pickguard with a filtertron hole for about $15. I got a pearloid pickguard for my cabronita-ish guitar, but can’t find emails about where it came from.

ReverendRevolver

Friend of Leo's
Looks like guitarfetish has Tele pickguard with a filtertron hole for about $15. I got a pearloid pickguard for my cabronita-ish guitar, but can’t find emails about where it came from.
They totally do....
But no mint or flat black.
I'm awaiting a response from a Reverb seller about 'tron route on a 3ply mint guard. If they say no, it's $9 free shipping on a standard 3ply in actual green mint green guard from someone else. It looks like I'll be using my father's scroll saw to trim the perimeter down anyway. At least I won't have to bevel the hole for the pickup...

Coquina012

TDPRI Member
I have cut a couple of pickguards. I had my best success using a pickup template with a router and a homemade jig. I didn't enjoy the experience. It is surprisingly difficult to get the straight edges correct unless you have a router table, which I don't. Mine look OK from a distance but if you carefully inspect you can see some ragged edges. I have cut several by hand. They look amateurish. I am going to cut a 50s bigsby style pickguard for this next build and use french curves to put the volute shape on the bass bout.