Stamped saddle order.

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by RotelliCaster, Apr 5, 2020.

1. RotelliCaster

RotelliCaster Tele-Holic

I have a 72 reissue telecaster, that the finish was pulling away from the body.
    I peeled the poly finish off and did a refinished it with Danish oil and renaissance wax.

Now after reassembling and setting it up I'm struggling with it. All of the saddles seem to be the same length, as well as the intonation screws. The height adjustment screws have two saddles with shorter screws and the rest are taller. I'm not sure of the saddles, according to the screw height.

The problem: I can not get the 6th E to intimate (sharp after crushing the spring). I. Used the micro tilt This morning in hopes of lengthening the strings, and I got much closer to a better setup but I could not raise the 6th E to intonate flat enough at the 12th with running out of screw height and length.

Strings and saddles are off at the moment.

Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

2. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

The short screws go to the outside, the long in the middle.
    Are you sure the low E intonated before you did the work? Many of mine wont quite get there either. I have removed the spring completely on one.
    I dont worry too much about the low E, it seems to pull slightly sharp when fretting high up... but realistically, I rarely fret up there on that string and if I do it's a passing note in a run of notes and no one is ever going to notice.

3. Smylight

Smylight TDPRI Member

Just clip the springs that are too long, or remove them entirely. Not unusual at all on Fenders.

The micro-tilt does NOT serve this purpose. It is intended to change the neck angle. I suggest you have a look at StewMacs videos on setup. Frudua also has a very good channel on YouTube on the subject.

Pierre

nojazzhere likes this.
  4. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

Hey stranger....:)

RotelliCaster likes this.
  5. DavidP

DavidP Friend of Leo's

What Smylight said...
    If hesitant to cut the OEM springs, you might try scavenging old retractable ball point pens and sacrifice/cut one on those.

RotelliCaster likes this.
  6. RotelliCaster

RotelliCaster Tele-Holic

Thank you for your help folks!

I went ahead and put the original pickguard back on it since I had it apart again, and I'm glad I did. A pickup cover fell off. After fixing that, getting the saddles in the right order and putting on some 10-47 instead of 10-46, it's radiused, intonation set and sound awesome with the thick poly finish off of it.

About a half cent flat on the low E at the 12th fret. I can live with that!

Attached Files:

Smylight likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.