1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Stairway to Heaven - Cello & Guitar Cover

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Tommyd55, Jan 16, 2021.

1. Tommyd55

Tommyd55 Tele-Holic

2. Chicago Matt

Chicago Matt Friend of Leo's

Nice job.

3. scooteraz

scooteraz Friend of Leo's

Nicely done.

4. BFcaster

BFcaster Tele-Meister

Reminds me of Stairway cover I did with an old friend and co-worker. He is into jazz and orchestral double bass, but was also into punk. That's an upright to you rockabilly types :cool:. He has perfect pitch and 99% of what's popular/on the radio bores him. Go figure...
    Anyways, out of boredom he joined our bar (cover tunes) band. Careful to only suggest it when the wife went on a beer run, he goes "okay, while Libby is away, do Stairway to Heaven. We gotta do it quick". I almost fainted. He knows I know it, being a Zep fan, but I hadn't played it in years. The drummer was just gonna wing it especially since he didn't have to play half of it, lol. No worries about singing it, we didn't care about vocals, just wanted to hear what he was getting on to.
    So I start in on my clean Telecaster, and he joins in by using his bow on the double bass and it sounds AMAZING. He's basically mimicking the Melotron parts, not doing an interpretation of the vocals as this video does.
    When it came to doing an actual bar gig a few weeks later he lugged that thing there (he had a pickup on it from doing orchestral symphony gigs) and he did a similar thing to our cover of Sheryl Crow's "The Difficult Kind". A lady we worked with had an amazing voice and would join us for some numbers like that. With his bowed double bass.....AMAZING!

We may have done the Stairway acoustic later, unfortunately I can't remember. I would kill for recordings of that show!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.