Stainless steel vintage bridge plate?

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by klasher, May 22, 2021.

1. klasher

klasher Tele-Holic

Anyone know where to purchase a stainless steel vintage style tele bridge? I'm going to give the Dimarzio Area T's a try in one of my tele's but I've read for the bridge pup to be as noiseless as possible it needs to have a stainless steel or brass style bridge. I'm hoping for stainless steal. If anyone can help, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

2. lammie200

lammie200 Friend of Leo's

I have an Area T in a standard chrome plated bridge and it doesn’t make any noise except for the notes that I play. Not sure SS is a requirement.

3. wabashslim

wabashslim Friend of Leo's

Glendale, at least they did years ago when I bought mine.

rjtwangs, bob barcus and moosie like this.
  4. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Afflicted

I've never heard anything like that before. Stainless steel and brass are both non-ferrous & poor conductors in comparison to chromed steel. When you're trying to reduce single coil noise you add grounded copper or aluminium shielding tape. If you want to change the magnetic field you put a steel or copper plate on the pickup bottom.

I can't see how either brass or stainless steel would clean up anything.

I could be wrong, I'm no electronics expert but to my limited knowledge on the subject it doesn't make sense.

It would change the pickup sound because stainless steel wouldn't do what steel does.

Last edited: May 22, 2021
  5. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

6. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Afflicted

Funny how it says stainless steel bridges will basically do what others say adding steel plates apparently does.

https://www.philadelphialuthiertool...strat-single-coil-baseplate-non-plated-steel/

Telecaster bridge pickups have a conductive/ferrous plate to increase perceived output, mids and lows.

How can having less conductive/ferrous material around the pickup also increase perceived volume, mids and lows?

One thing not mentioned for stainless steel bridges is anything to do with noise reduction. Though to be fair that's also not mentioned with the baseplates either.

Last edited: May 23, 2021
    effzee likes this.
  7. Tele-phone man

Tele-phone man Tele-Afflicted

You guys are missing the point. The advantage of stainless steel or brass in this context has nothing to do with conductivity. It has to do with the way that ferrous steel distorts the magnetic field, and how that can negatively impact the performance of a stacked humbucker, like the Dimarzio AreaT, or the Wilde L290TL. I can tell you from personal experience that regular steel profoundly and negatively affects the Wilde pup. Not only did the noise canceling properties work poorly (it hummed a bit when it should have been dead silent), but it also made the tone way too harsh and it was stupidly microphonic.
    I replaced that bridge with a stainless steel bridge and ALL of those issues vanished. Immediately. Now, the Area T models seems to be less affected by this phenomenon than the Wilde units, but it’s not silly to think that it could when you consider that they are similar in design.
    I have used brass, stamped steel and stainless steel on that guitar. By far, stainless steel was the best material for both the acoustic liveliness of the guitar and the best performance of the pickup.
    I encourage the OP to go with stainless if he is going noiseless.

PeterUK and effzee like this.
  8. _MementoMori_

_MementoMori_ Tele-Afflicted

The Glendale bridge is nice. I think Rutters offers one too.

If you want to save a little money though, Bob Logan also offers one for around $30 - $35 less than Glendale and Rutters. I almost used it for the build that I just finished. It's a vintage style dual loader, so not 100% vintage correct.

bender66 likes this.
  9. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

I'd say try the Area T before you purchase a ss bridge.

10. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Afflicted

I guess I learned something. I used to learn something new everyday. Now that I'm a little older I think I'm done for the week.

moosie and Tele-phone man like this.
  11. Tele-phone man

Tele-phone man Tele-Afflicted

When I went SS, I bought something similar to this, and just transferred the saddles and hardware from the bridge I was replacing.

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338148343&icep_item=131719007983

This approach can save you a few bucks. In one of my Teles, I replaced the Wilde L280TL with an Area T 615. The Dimarzio has more output and a fatter bottom, but still sounds like a Tele, just on steroids. My other Tele has the Wilde L200TL, which has a more vintage voice and output, and if that sound appeals to you, I cannot recommend it more highly. It's cost is on a par with the Dimarzio.

https://www.wildepickups.com/products/noisefree-tele-lead?variant=15102506926149

By the way, the Wilde L280TN Tele neck pickup is the best I have ever found. It has more output than the Area T neck, works well paired with any Wilde Tele bridge model, and it works well with my Area 615. Clear, yet warm, totally noiseless, and it costs less than the Dimarzio Area T neck. NOTE: the Dimarzios and the Wildes are out of phase with each other; you must reverse the wiring on one of them to combine the two brands. This isn't a problem, as they each have separate coil and ground wires.

https://www.wildepickups.com/products/noisefree-tele

The only other possible downside of the L280TN is that it doesn't come with a chrome cover. If that is important to you, you can try the L202TN chrome. It's a slightly different pickup; the basic geometry is the same (stacked coils), but the L200 and the L202 use Alnico magnets, while the L280 uses ceramic magnets. In terms of sound, I found the L280 to have a bit more output and clarity, which I love.

12. Jay Jernigan

Jay Jernigan Tele-Afflicted

I have the same issue with a DiMarzio. Had the same problem with a Fender Vintage Noiseless. Don't know if ss is a fix or not: I did some thorough shielding and it improved it enough. It's an actual thing.

13. PeterUK

PeterUK Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

This ^^^^^^^^^^^

A friend of mine was the pioneer of stainless steel bridges and the last time I was in his workshop he showed me an experiment to show how different bridge materials impact the magnet field on pick ups.

He had a testing tool - something used in dentistry or some other non-guitar related industry - and he was able to visually demonstrate how steel, stainless, brass and aluminium impacts the conductive field of the pick up!

He knew and would speak to Bill Lawrence to validate his thoughts.

We surmised - based on this test - that noiseless pick ups which used the stacked (humbucker) design could have the top half of the pick up influenced by the bridge (if it was ferrous) but the bottom half of the stack unaffected and therefore the results of the pick up delivering something (sound, tone, whatever you want to call it) that it was never designed to do. One of the possible effects: squealing.

I use the traditional Fender bridges with 'normal' pick ups but if I have a stacked humbucker then I use stainless. I've got a brass bridge on one build which I'm hoping to fire up this weekend.

FYI, if you use a stainless bridge with 'normal' pick ups, it does change the tone (IMHO) and can deliver more twang and responsiveness.

These, for the record, are my opinions but my eyes and ears have been influenced by sights and sounds - and these work for me. :)

Attached Files:

14. hmemerson

hmemerson Tele-Meister Platinum Supporter

I don't know if this relates much to what you're talking about here, but I think there may be a connection, so to speak.

At some point a few years ago I installed Bill Lawrence Tele neck pickup in my National Resolectric. It is a stacked humbucker model with a black plastic cover and adjustable pole pieces.

I thought that the pickup was really microphonic at first, but quickly realized that the cover plate had become a microphone because it was a steel cover. The pickup, being embedded in that steel cover, just extended its 'listening' range.....or something like that.

In any case I changed covers and pickups and the problem was gone, but in theory it should have been a great thing because you'd want the acoustic sound of a resonator to come through somehow. Magnetic pickups normally don't help with that.

Anyway I thought it might be pertinent to a part of the problem being discussed here.

Regards,
    Howard Emerson

PeterUK likes this.
  15. old wrench

old wrench Friend of Leo's

Coffeemutt likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.