Stain Finishes on Mahogany/Sapele

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Bodsterbug, Feb 2, 2018.

1. Bodsterbug

Bodsterbug TDPRI Member

Hi!

Has anyone used a stain on darker woods like Mahogany/Sapele? I'm currently building a telecaster which is sapele. I plan on using Crimson Guitars guitar finishing oil, but I was thinking of a stain underneath it first. I was thinking green, but I'm not sure if it would come out too dark. The hardware is all black. I see that most stains are used with lighter coloured woods like ash etc, which obviously brings out the colour more. I don't want to paint it as I prefer the look of the natural timber. My last build was mahogany with just a finishing oil which looks lush, but I just want to try something different on this one. Don't want to go waste money on some coloured stain, if it's gonna look crap! Any advice/pics would be fantastic!

Cheers

Justin

IMG_0819.PNG

Tele Mockup.jpg

Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
  2. Tullecaster

Tullecaster TDPRI Member

Try Fieblings Leather Dye in a color of your liking. You can mix them as well to customize your color. Sometimes the Saddle Tan color is what you need to get the grain to pop while still having your natural wood tones. Apply and then sand back until you have exposed the level of figure that you like. The oil finish will respond well over it and you will get far better depth than with a conventional pigment stain. Youtube will have several tutorials on using leather dyes on figured wood. Try 'leather dye on flamed or tiger maple' and see what comes up. Good luck. -Chris

Crobbins likes this.
  3. Bodsterbug

Bodsterbug TDPRI Member

Thanks Chris! I will have a look. I'm still wanting to go green. Think it would look fab! Do you think it would come out too dark though, as it's going on a darker/red wood? Another big question which has mixed opinions after looking online. Grain filler before or after staining/dye application?

Cheers!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.