Stain discolored guitar

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by kwest80, Jul 20, 2017.

1. kwest80

kwest80 NEW MEMBER!

Hi, I am considering staining a stripped Mustang body - hoping to do a dark walnut.

The body has a few dark patches of discoloration - looks like water damage, I have tried to remove the discoloration but its proving difficult.

Does anyone have any experience staining over discolored areas like this - I don't mind a finish where some areas are a little darker - I'm going for a kind of 'rustic', worn in kind of a finish - no need for it to be perfect even color. Keen to see any before and after pictures of similar work?

Thanks a lot

2. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Tele-Afflicted

Bleach may be your friend, though I'm not sure of the process for your needs.
    Just My $.02,
    Gene

3. harold h

harold h Friend of Leo's

Bleach may help but with a dark walnut finish the dark areas probably wont show through anyway.

4. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Tele-Afflicted

Well, it turns out that when folks talk about "bleaching" wood, they are likely using oxalic acid or similar. I'll let those interested spend their own time on research the subject!:lol:
    Just Sayin'
    Gene

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.