Stain/ Burn from strap on nitro

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by customkraft, Feb 10, 2016.

1. customkraft

customkraft TDPRI Member

Hello Friends,
    First post here, but I've been reading for a long time and appreciate the advice given by all of you.
    I took my strat out of the soft case to find this lovely semi-circular brown mark on it. I can only guess it can be from the suede strap, which i left on it. i don't feel any residue/texture when i rub my hand over it. Cloth with elbow grease has had no effect. Any ideas on what to do here?
    It's a 1986 American vintage reissue so i can only assume the paint is nitro.
    Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

2. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire

Hello CK, If the dye from the strap has migrated into the nitro, there's no way to get it out. you would have to sand it off, risking sanding into the color coat; it would be a complete re-finish job. I suggest you look at it as a rock and roll battle scar and let it be. There's a chance it will fade over time. Nice looking Strat!

3. poolshark

poolshark Tele-Holic

Bet it comes out with some polishing compound. I like Meguiar's ScratchX 2.0. Almost zero risk.

4. customkraft

customkraft TDPRI Member

Thanks both for your advice...I am going to try The ScratchX and see what happens.

Good lesson here people, don't get lazy and forget to take the strap off of your favorite vintage guitar..or leave it on a cheap stand for months! You don't want the feeling i had when I opened the case....

5. Blue Bill

Let us know how the ScratchX works out.

6. customkraft

customkraft TDPRI Member

Unfortunately the ScratchX didn't touch it. the stain is pretty well soaked into the color I guess. It did make the rest of the guitar look really nice though...

7. poolshark

poolshark Tele-Holic

It strikes me as unlikely that your stain goes much deeper than the surface clear - if it did, you'd almost certainly see deformation in the surface of the paint. Since ScratchX is a very mild abrasive, your next option is a more aggressive abrasive, likely in the form of high grit wet sanding. The more aggressive the abrasive, the more risk you run for breaking through the color and into the primer/sealer. That said, it's the only way you'll get that stain out.

8. Blue Bill

I still say it adds character.

customkraft likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.