Staggered tuners, to use a string tree or not?

jhowdysBSB

TDPRI Member
Hi. I'm all new to Telecasters (had a strat copy 40 years ago, but have forgotten all about it). I bought a 2022 MiM Player Tele two weeks ago and changed to locking tuners yesterday, to ease the string change etc.

They work just swell, but the question is: Should I still use the factory installed string tree for the 1st and 2nd strings, as the new locking tuners are staggered (three long, three short shafts)? The string angle that goes up, down and up again and the sharp edged string tree combination looks pretty awful to my own eyes, been used to the big Gretsch hollow bodies before this.

20221012_184750.jpg

20221013_102252.jpg

Cyberi4n

Tele-Afflicted
I kept the string tree on my telecaster when I moved to locking (staggered) tuners for no other reason than it would leave a hole if I removed it. Mine came with those fender ‘roller’ string trees though, that are considerably higher than the bent steel ones

C2100A37-DD6B-44D8-99A1-B93661F2538F.jpeg

Beebe

Tele-Afflicted
I've used the Gotoh vintage staggered safety tuners multiple times without installing string trees. But I usually have about 2 inches of slack to wind the string angle lower.

Given the string trees are already installed, you don't really need to decide. Just see if you notice a difference. Or use them if they are in the way.

tomasz

Tele-Afflicted
Yes! I#d recommend keeping the string tree - you don't lose anything, while by removing it, the break angle may be too small and cause some sittaring. Some guitars, without naming brands, have this problem without a string tree. Some have the headstock face a tad deeper and the problem does not come up if the nur is slotted correctly.

kuch

Friend of Leo's
+1 on keep using them. I thought all recent fenders are using staggered shafts. Maybe it's only on the US models....

brookdalebill

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I like staggered locking tuners, and no string trees.
I also have self-lubricating nuts on my workhorse guitars.
My guitars and I stay in tune way better!

jhowdysBSB

TDPRI Member
Thank you for your replies, several possibilities to choose from then. Maybe I'll try without the string tree first (bypassing) and if it doesn't work, then put some washer below the existing one. There seem to be better roller ones available, too.

AAT65

Poster Extraordinaire
My Am Elite Tele has all low-profile locking tuners (like your B & E tuners) but still has a string tree: however I think Fender only put it on there for aesthetics, because it is mounted much further away from the nut than usual and barely changes the string angle at all. I keep it because who wants a hole in their headstock?? 😁

jhowdysBSB

TDPRI Member
My Am Elite Tele has all low-profile locking tuners (like your B & E tuners) but still has a string tree: however I think Fender only put it on there for aesthetics, because it is mounted much further away from the nut than usual and barely changes the string angle at all. I keep it because who wants a hole in their headstock?? 😁
You can always use the screwhole to attach a Texas star or something else smaller than a squirrel :D

somebodyelseuk

Tele-Holic
The whole point of staggered tuners was to remove the need for the string tree - a source of string friction.
I would unhook the strings and see whether you get any 'sitaring' at the nut. If you don't, leave 'em unhooked. If you do, hook 'em back in.