Stage Right 5W

Volcanicash01

TDPRI Member
To be honest, it comes down to two things:

1. I've been revved up to buy something new for a while, and haven't really found a guitar that I had to have enough to purchase. This scratches that itch for $135.

2. I'm not happy unless I have something to research. This opens up the whole world of pedals for me which I could never justify with the Katana. I now have a reason to watch all of those pedal shows on YouTube. :lol:
It is nice to see the tubes glowing and smell and feel the heat! My apprenticeship was with tube amps (Royal Navy 1950/60’s) They still hold that magic for me, although I gig with Roland Cubes nowadays. Not the same, but what the heck. Thermionic emission was and is a fascinating science subject to me.

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
It was delivered today, and I just spent about an hour playing with it. I think that it sounds great! Here are some observations:

-At 5W, it is a bit too loud cranked, but that is where the best tone is.
-The 1W attenuator does not work as I expected. It makes it less loud, but also cleaner. I expected to be able to get a really overdriven tone by diming the 1W setting, but not so. It also adds a hiss.
-The 8" speaker sounds pretty good. I didn't really notice it sounding small compared to the Katana.
-Hopefully, there isn't a specific break in period for the amp and speaker, because I just cranked it and let her rip.;)
- I tried all of my guitars with it. The P90 sounded great! Easy to go from clean to crunch with the volume knob on the guitar. The humbucker was easiest to get to break up. I was disappointed with my strat. Couldn't really get it to break up much with the lower power single coils. I guess that is why the Tube Screamer was invented...

Going to need a reverb or delay pedal to wetten up the sound a bit, but it was pleasing as-is.

The 5watt/1 watt switch is kind of 'misrepresented' by Monoprice; it's not really an attenuator

It's just a padded input feature, same as the 2 inputs on a Fender amp.

No big deal, I just don't use it, with my Fender guitars.

But I love the sound of the amp and am just using it as is, plus small pedalboard; or just plugging straight in, even at quiet volume.

1 21 gigawatts

Tele-Afflicted
After three more days of playing through the amp, I am still really enjoying it. I have been playing clean out of necessity, because the cranked tone is too loud. This has really made me notice the differences between my guitars (humbucker, P-90, and single coils). Previously, I'd just turn a bunch of knobs on the Katana until they all sounded about the same. I have grown a new appreciation for the strat single coil neck pickup; I guess that clean through a Fender-ish amp really suits it.

I ordered my first pedal- the Joyo Splinter which is a Fat Rat clone. I figured that will give me some OD, distortion, and fuzz tones without having to damage my hearing.

The 8" speaker has been fine. My biggest wish for this amp is a master volume knob. I'd trade the tone knob for a master volume (gain/volume instead of volume/tone).

bgmacaw

Poster Extraordinaire
My biggest wish for this amp is a master volume knob.

This will do it for you. You will also need the appropriate speaker cables.

bugeraps1.png

Volcanicash01

TDPRI Member
It’s $135! Order it. You’ve got nothing to lose. Anyway you’ll love it! If you don’t, send it back Monoprice has a good return policy. Once you start down the tube amp road you’ll probably never look back. They tend to multiply. 😂
The only tube amp I have left is a Carvin Bel Aire 2x12 I got from the factory in S. Diego way back when. Never get rid of this one.

1 21 gigawatts

Tele-Afflicted
With some experimentation, I have found that "amp is about to explode" tone at a lower volume by using the Rat clone pedal. If I set the amp volume to break up and the pedal to its lowest gain setting, I can use the pedal volume to contol the room volume and get a really nice crunchy tone. Not sure if it is the tubes being overdriven or just the Rat's distortion, but it sounds good!