Stage Right 5W

bgmacaw

Poster Extraordinaire
I'll at least need a reverb pedal and a drive pedal.

I used the Mosky Spring Reverb with mine until I splurged on a Keeley Caverns. Other cheap alternatives if you want a larger variety of reverbs are the Cuvave (now ChiliShark) Dig Reverb and Behringer Digital Reverb.

On the OD, I recommend a Rat clone so that you can get kind of a best of both worlds of overdrive and distortion. I don't really care for a TS type with this amp, unlike with other Fender-ish amps. I also use a compressor with a boost sometimes, especially for slide playing.

Another inexpensive pedal I recommend with it is the Trelicopter tremolo.

Nicko_Lps

Tele-Meister
I play at low volume
Just wondering what I might be missing out on with a tube amp.
At very low volume, kinda doubt any tube amp will sound as good as those katana's do.
Now when you push some current through that OT.. Magic happens.

Any Tube amp paired with a cheap power soak like the Bugera PS1 will give you the magic you need in lower volumes.
Dont underestimate the 5watts of "Lethal" tube power.. According to some measures i see on youtube, you should not expect it to be less loud from a 40 watt. Just alot LESS headroom, you will still peak at around 110 dBm with a cab.

PS
If you are planning to use effects and need an effects loop, a marshall DSL-1 or a DSL-5 would be the perfect option but that goes bigger on the price.

Linkslover

Tele-Meister
You guys have about got me talked into ordering it. I'm afraid that it will lead me down the pedal path (which could be fun). I'll at least need a reverb pedal and a drive pedal. That means a pedal board and power supply. This cheap amp will end up costing me a lot of money.;)
There are a lot of very inexpensive Chinese clones. Look at Donner, Tom's Price, etc. Most fun $25 - $30.

Terrygh1949

Tele-Meister
My one amp is currently a Boss Katana 50, which I am happy with. I like that I have basically 4 amp tones to play with (each of my guitars seems to have its favorite). I play at low volume by myself.

With the 5W Stage Right being on sale for $135 shipped, I'm tempted to try a tube amp. Am I going to gain anything with the cheapest tube amp on the planet, or is it a waste of money vs just using the Katana?

Summary:
I like what I have. I have no need for anything else. Just wondering what I might be missing out on with a tube amp.
Nothing. Gave the tubes up many years ago. Never will go back.

effzee

Tele-Holic
I was going to say don't bother because to get the tones you're used to, you're going to have to crank it louder than you want, or start buying pedals. But you've got the Katana, which it like a massive collection of Boss effects wedded to a pretty decent amp already.

But since you've got it ordered, be sure to update this post!

I sold my last tube amp and now also use a Katana, a MK2 100W, which I paid €290 for, so dirt cheap. The Katana can't do the glowing EL84 punch, but it does lots of other things that my tube amp couldn't do.

Edit: with the tube amp, experiment with guitar's volume control. It'll change the dynamics of the amp a lot more than on the Katana. Although I have to say, at volume, the Katana is a lot more responsive than I expected
your guitar's volume control

Last edited:

1 21 gigawatts

Tele-Afflicted
I used the Mosky Spring Reverb with mine until I splurged on a Keeley Caverns. Other cheap alternatives if you want a larger variety of reverbs are the Cuvave (now ChiliShark) Dig Reverb and Behringer Digital Reverb.

On the OD, I recommend a Rat clone so that you can get kind of a best of both worlds of overdrive and distortion. I don't really care for a TS type with this amp, unlike with other Fender-ish amps. I also use a compressor with a boost sometimes, especially for slide playing.

Another inexpensive pedal I recommend with it is the Trelicopter tremolo.
The Rat is my favorite distortion pedal. I just watched a JHS pedal show comparing the Mosky Rat to the original. I thought that the Mosky sounded better. They also compared the Mosky Klon to the original and I couldn't tell the difference.

1 21 gigawatts

Tele-Afflicted
Now, after I have purchased the amp, the Katana fans show up. :lol:
I suspect that I might decide the same thing after comparing but I need a new toy and $135 is a small price to pay to try out a tube amp. It is also an excuse to buy some pedals which I have never needed with the Katana.;)

Tarkus60

Tele-Afflicted
I have the 5 watt. I swapped tubes for vintage ones. I love this little rock n roll amp.
Volume from 5 to max really does not get louder just dirtier.
Best 135 bucks I have ever spent.
I really don't think you will need any pedals with this bad boy.

Volcanicash01

TDPRI Member
My one amp is currently a Boss Katana 50, which I am happy with. I like that I have basically 4 amp tones to play with (each of my guitars seems to have its favorite). I play at low volume by myself.

With the 5W Stage Right being on sale for $135 shipped, I'm tempted to try a tube amp. Am I going to gain anything with the cheapest tube amp on the planet, or is it a waste of money vs just using the Katana?

Summary:
I like what I have. I have no need for anything else. Just wondering what I might be missing out on with a tube amp.
You would certainly notice the difference with a tube amp,but if you are happy with what you have, what’s the point In spending out on one. Maybe you could borrow one from a mate, or better still, go into a music store and try one! Cheap tube amps won’t last very long mind you. The tubes and transformer will be the weakest links.

notme

Tele-Meister
Some really good info here.
Love my 1st gen 15w (knobs on top)
$124 refurbished. Was brand new looking, had a faulty jack which i fixed. Speaker needed some break in time, was a little sterile when new.

Alex_C

Tele-Afflicted
Yeah- Going from the 12" speaker of the Katana to an 8" is a concern. I guess that I could run the line out from the Stage Right to the Kat speaker; just have to solder an input jack onto the speaker.
From what i understand, the Katana speaker is more like a flat response design vs. a standard guitar speaker. I don't think it will sound good with a standard guitar amp.

Old Deaf Roadie

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Ah yes, the tube amp rabbit hole: long, winding, expensive, almost impossible to find a way out, and when you do finally see daylight, nothing is any clearer.

1 21 gigawatts

Tele-Afflicted
You would certainly notice the difference with a tube amp,but if you are happy with what you have, what’s the point In spending out on one.
To be honest, it comes down to two things:

1. I've been revved up to buy something new for a while, and haven't really found a guitar that I had to have enough to purchase. This scratches that itch for $135.

2. I'm not happy unless I have something to research. This opens up the whole world of pedals for me which I could never justify with the Katana. I now have a reason to watch all of those pedal shows on YouTube. :lol:

bgmacaw

Poster Extraordinaire
Cheap tube amps won’t last very long mind you. The tubes and transformer will be the weakest links.

I bet somebody said that about this cheap beginner's amp in 1964

fenderchamp1964.jpg

(And yes, mine does need a new transformer and tubes right now.)

JSMac

Tele-Afflicted
I just plugged my 5w into a Weber 12A125A. Man it sounds nice. 5w setting, Volume on 6 and guitar volume turned down a little. I find the amp a bit bright for my taste and keep the tone knob at about 3. I like this amp for clean more than I do overdriven.

I'll experiment with the amp turned up more and try to control the treble with my guitar volume.

002.JPG

Last edited:

cheepnis

TDPRI Member
I just plugged my 5w into a Weber 12A125A. Man it sounds nice. 5w setting, Volume on 6 and guitar volume turned down a little. I find the amp a bit bright for my taste and keep the tone knob at about 3. I like this amp for clean more than I do overdriven.

I'll experiment with the amp turned up more and try to control the treble with my guitar volume.

View attachment 999871
Does anyone know if there's room enough to put a 10" speaker in there?

JSMac

Tele-Afflicted
There is only about -1" clearance at the top and bottom of the 8" so not likely able to accomodate a 10".

Last edited:

MaxPower93

TDPRI Member

Summary:
It’s $135! Order it. You’ve got nothing to lose. Anyway you’ll love it! If you don’t, send it back Monoprice has a good return policy. Once you start down the tube amp road you’ll probably never look back. They tend to multiply. 😂

1 21 gigawatts

Tele-Afflicted
It was delivered today, and I just spent about an hour playing with it. I think that it sounds great! Here are some observations:

-At 5W, it is a bit too loud cranked, but that is where the best tone is.
-The 1W attenuator does not work as I expected. It makes it less loud, but also cleaner. I expected to be able to get a really overdriven tone by diming the 1W setting, but not so. It also adds a hiss.
-The 8" speaker sounds pretty good. I didn't really notice it sounding small compared to the Katana.
-Hopefully, there isn't a specific break in period for the amp and speaker, because I just cranked it and let her rip.;)
- I tried all of my guitars with it. The P90 sounded great! Easy to go from clean to crunch with the volume knob on the guitar. The humbucker was easiest to get to break up. I was disappointed with my strat. Couldn't really get it to break up much with the lower power single coils. I guess that is why the Tube Screamer was invented...

Going to need a reverb or delay pedal to wetten up the sound a bit, but it was pleasing as-is.