Stage antics

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by wulfenganck, Aug 3, 2016.

1. wulfenganck

wulfenganck Tele-Holic

Hi,
    we all have our stage antics, rituals, oddities etc.
    I for example always argue with our singer where to stand: I like to stand left on stage, she wants me to stand on her right side, as she thinks we have better eye contact and therefore communication; I also tend to hold the guitar with the neck pointing downwards when we play Country and Rockabilly tunes.
    Well, it's an individual habit....

There are some stage antics I really hate, 'though: for example some showcase soloing like picking the guitar with your teeth or behind your back.
    I also find it incredibly boring to stand around like a statue while playing.

What are your stage antics and what do you like/dislike on stage?

2. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Let me know how that one comes out will ya'? ;)

3. Fred Rogers

Fred Rogers Tele-Afflicted

I had stage antics when I was younger. Now I'm happy to be boring and just play the guitar.

Tazz3 and 3-Chord-Genius like this.
  4. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

My biggest gimmick and craziest trick is "not sucking". On nights when I can actually pull it off, it's magic!

Tele1966, Flakey, Dolla Bill and 14 others like this.
  5. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I'm not a statue, but antics, I don't know.

Because I sing in almost everything we do, moving in and out of the mic and working the mic while playing guitar provides some drama I suppose.

I tend to "move" something to the groove of the music. And at big moments I often do something that gets "big" - but I don't plan it out. I just try to listen to the groove, watch my bandmates and react to/play-off the crowd.

Like the last show we played a song that has dramatic bit and often we get louder and bang on chords and different fills. I happened to notice I was getting really beautiful, in-tune feedback that wasn't running away with volume, so I dropped my part, dropped to my knees and worked the Bigsby to move it to the pitch - for the rest of song (key being I had no vocals left) and then the last thing we heard was the feedback finally slowly trailing off. Honestly it was cool and eerie and transfixed me so I didn't even notice what I was doing. It was also a set closer. After the set all 4 bandmates came up and gave some variation of: I have no idea where that came from but it was cool as hell. And then several folks who were watching said the same thing.

But honestly, can I take "credit" for that? I hadn't planned it. It was a happy accident. I just noticed something and went where it took me. My "antics" tend to be physically related to executing the music I'm trying to express, I guess. And, when I try to plan "antics" or "moves" they inevitably backfire anyway. A choreographer would hate me.

6. wulfenganck

wulfenganck Tele-Holic

I circle around.....

soulman969 likes this.
  7. Daddy Hojo

Daddy Hojo Friend of Leo's

I hate the swing your guitar around and catch it move. It was cool the first time I saw it. Now it seems a little tryhard.

8. wulfenganck

wulfenganck Tele-Holic

That's what I meant. Something spontaneous - but on a regular basis.
    It's those choreographed moves bore me and especially those guitarhero-tricks seem phony to me.

9. Kingpin

Kingpin Friend of Leo's

My antic? I host a clam bake while I play.

J Hog, teletimetx and xafinity like this.
  10. troy2003

troy2003 Friend of Leo's

I was always kind of a statue. I moved some, but not a lot. I only have one eye, so I have a blind side and no depth perception, and am paranoid to stumble and look like an idiot. I like to be on the drummers right side (my good side) and keep a nice full view of where everyone is at.

xafinity likes this.
  11. soulman969

Good thinkin'. :D

12. Tele Fan

Tele Fan Friend of Leo's

When I was gigging it depended on the size of the stage. There were many times there was no room for antics or breathing ;)

13. soulman969

I do the Freddy. ;)

beagle and Tazz3 like this.
  14. RyCo1983

RyCo1983 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I have my power stance. That's about it haha.

Tazz3 likes this.
  15. xafinity

xafinity Friend of Leo's

I stick out my tongue and thrust my hips in a threatening manner.
    Its all very natural and spontaneous.

3-Chord-Genius likes this.
  16. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

I never really thought about it until I saw a video once of me playing on stage. I was moving back and forth completely independent of the beat of the music, like I had to go to the bathroom.

wulfenganck and SecretSquirrel like this.
  17. 1955

1955 Poster Extraordinaire

Antics are a combination of incongruous desire-motives, fear-adrenalin, and death-wishing meeting at disproportionate levels of preparedness and crowd-paraphilia.

xafinity likes this.
  18. Chicago Matt

Chicago Matt Friend of Leo's

Ha! I guess I've come full circle. I started off in the 60's like Jakedog, just trying not to suck. Then by the 80's I was jumping up and down, doing the pogo. Now I'm back to just trying not to suck.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2016
    DarkKnight37 and Jakedog like this.
  19. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

When I play a clam, I look behind me as if to see where that came from. :oops:

I'm not a really 'seasoned' performer (more 'half-baked') so I'm mostly just trying to listen to the band and keep my part together. One reason I dropped performing goals after college is that I had a fairly inhibiting stage fright, hiding behind the horn section when possible. Years later I renewed my desire to try performing again, and after a couple years of serious practice I felt more prepared with something to offer an audience and lost the stage fright. I'm still not much good for antics but after about 50 shows in this new effort, I do move to the music a lot more and make an effort to engage the audience with eye contact etc.

And I've gradually moved my stage spot/pedal board forward, whereas before, when there's a front person (I don't sing), I'd set up as far back as I could, sort of hanging out with the drummer and out of the spotlight. But I think that's kind of short-changing the audience.

I thought about what I like to see from a group when I'm in the audience: performers having a good time, acknowledging the audience, doing whatever naturally makes it a good show for them and the audience.

So I'm slowly working on that. Meanwhile I'm designing a pair of jetpack boots so I can fly out over the crowd and do loop-de-loops as I wheedly-wheedly a "face melting" solo. :cool:

wulfenganck and xafinity like this.
  20. wulfenganck

wulfenganck Tele-Holic

Well, that's kind of different as it is a clear handicap.
    But as you wrote: you move.
    I see an astoundingly high amount of bands where the musicians appear being restrained by a forcefield. They don't seem to enjoy what they're doing - and I'm not talking about some technically challenging stuff where you just have to concentrate for sorting out your fingers, I'm talking about the "common" R'n'R, Blues, Rock, Swing, Pop etc. for a Friday/Saturday night's out.
    Watched a band a couple of weeks ago where the guitarist and bassist showed zero movement except for the fingers and some unmotivated turning back to "check" the amps (another guitarist-stage antic: the look above the shoulder to check, if some fairies mysteriously fundled the controls....); then after a couple of songs the singer seriously shouted "Wanna see ya move!". ???!!!??!!!??
    How's the audience supposed to party when the band seemingly has no fun playing at all.....?

SecretSquirrel and troy2003 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.