Stage act / habitus?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by jarpat, Oct 17, 2019.

1. jarpat

jarpat Tele-Meister

I guess that most players are not too ostentatious on stage and for example my wife often encourages me to "at least try to smile", but a forced smile usually becomes out as a grimace.. If not evaluating playing now, but who is the player whos "stage act" you admire? Who's got "the moves" and presence that you would like to have?
    Instead of standing stiff and looking at your fingers - as many do - what would you like your act to look like?
    You can post videos of good examples.
    I kinda like the relaxed feel that I see when I watch for example Eddie Angel. The way he "steps back and forth" - I try to remember that and if I find myself doing that on stage naturally to the music, that gives me a good vibe.
    Eddie: (the mask thing is irrelevant here)

2. Torren61

Torren61 Friend of Leo's

Plant

3. dlew919

dlew919 Poster Extraordinaire

Angus. Freddie. Mick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stxrus likes this.
  4. Splodgeness

Splodgeness TDPRI Member

Wilco Johnson..........

5. Guran

Guran Friend of Leo's

Depending on what style I play at the moment, but a young Andy McCoy for high energy rock.

ClashCityTele likes this.
  6. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Like Deke in that clip

fendertx likes this.
  7. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

I wondered what it would look like if a guitarist tried to move in a way that looks like dancing. It's pretty bad:

Bill, Fretting out and robinn like this.
  8. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Ad Free Member

Boz Burrell of Bad company..so cool just point his bass at audience.
    He use to walk around like that. skip to 2:10

Other than that, probably AC/DC stage antics of Angus.

Me, my wife has to keep reminding me to smile. Closest I get is
    a tone face that might have a smile.

lowatter likes this.
  9. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

Whether or not you like his music... As a stage presence, nobody beats Springsteen ...

Bill, RetroTeleRod and Stringbanger like this.
  10. Wrighty

Wrighty Tele-Afflicted

I tend to stand with my weight in my left leg and concentrate, not really stage presence, more existence! Also gives me aching leg and shoulder. Only noticed when I saw a friend’s iPhone video. Am trying to do something about it, at least see if I can’t stand up straight and concentrate. Can’t do much when I’m singing but will attempt some guitar God poses when I’m not!

11. Plumber

Plumber Tele-Holic

I saw Punky Meadows from Angel last year

The guy is nearly 70 and what an amazing thing to watch his act, and a really great guitarist too

Last edited: Oct 17, 2019
  12. RoyalBaby

RoyalBaby Tele-Afflicted

The person who came to mind was Phil Lynott. He was playing bass and singing so there wasn't a lot of opportunity for jumping around but he would sashay a bit and he just looked so into it. Just as cool as ****.
    When I used to do group work ( I worked with groups of drink drivers and things like that) we used to talk about 'lending focus' which is a thing I see musicians being bad at doing. Really that's just looking where you want the audience to be looking, not messing with your pedalboard during the bass solo ( I know, I know...) because you are just sending the message that your pedalboard is more interesting than the bassist ( I know, I know...).
    Generally looking like you are into it whatever 'it' is and not like you are terrified or wish you were elsewhere.

13. Owenmoney

Owenmoney Tele-Afflicted

Keef, early career, just energetic, later sort of kicking and somewhat exaggerated arm movements and just generally cool, from wasted to finally getting slower now, he just seemed to come alive on stage.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Alamo likes this.
  14. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

You want stage presence? Watch videos of INXS.....four out of six members had the charisma of a "frontman". The other two had great "backline" presence. I'm sorry Michael was taken so soon.....I liked their music, their musicianship, AND their show.

15. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Thanks, I learned me a new word: habitus.

Definition of habitus

: HABIT specifically : body build and constitution especially as related to predisposition to disease

16. RatBug

RatBug Tele-Meister

@Guran

Can I tell one of my favorite stories here?

It was 1990 and I was living in Hollywood CA playing in a band heavily influenced by The New York Dolls, Johnny Thunders, Sex Pistols, Stones, Ramones, Aerosmith, etc. What I called "Junky Rock".

We rented a room on the southwest corner of Hollywood and Western in a building called Hollywood Billiards. It was a condemned office building, but every office was at the time used for band studios. It was a dirty, filthy dive with a rickety old elevator filled with trash and the halls were covered in graffiti and years of band flyers and stickers.

At our shows we usually played just a couple covers, but at practice we played lots of stuff for fun and a couple of those songs were Taxi Driver and Tragedy.

One day we were jamming when someone knocked on our door. When we answered the door we saw Andy McCoy and Sami Yaffa. Sami was no longer in Hanoi Rocks but he was playing with the Band JetBoy who also had a practice room there. I guess someone told them that there was a band in the building that was always playing their songs so they stopped by to say howdy.

Andy asked if they could sit in on the songs we knew so I got to sing Taxi Driver, Tragedy, and So Alone (A Johnny Thunders song) with Andy on guitar and Sami on Bass.

Here is a picture of my band at the time. I'm second from the left and this picture was taken right around that time in the elevator of the Hollywood Billiards building.

[​IMG]

Sorry for the topic detour, Most people have no idea who Andy McCoy is so I don't get to tell the story of one of the most exciting things that ever happened in my life very often.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2019
    rz350, Wildcard_35, P Thought and 6 others like this.
  17. joealso

joealso Tele-Holic

I went to a lot of Grateful Dead shows back in the day. I remember this one time, I actually saw Jerry move.

rangercaster and P Thought like this.
  18. suave eddie

suave eddie Tele-Afflicted

Enjoy. Someone described this as the Tai Chi Fart Dance.

Wallaby likes this.
  19. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Prince

20. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

I smile all the time on stage...but nobody can tell!
    Me at CCBC Reunion gig, color - April 2015.jpg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.