1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

staff drawing tool

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by Larry F, Jan 19, 2015.

1. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

There are times when I could really use a 5-line musical staff drawing tool. When teaching, I write down the different things we talked about, mostly as a record of what happened that week. I use blank paper for that. If I want to write in notation, I will draw a staff freehand, which sucks. I once had a tool that you could dip in ink, the drag across the page to produce a staff. It was a mess, with ink. Is there a ballpoint pen version of this? I looked around inside the internet and didn't see anything. Any ideas?

2. Chris S.

Chris S. Asst. Admin

I used to just write on staff paper. :confused: CS

3. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

4. slowpinky

slowpinky Tele-Afflicted

I would love something for the whiteboard whilst teaching- the pre- painted lines on boards wear away , get messy and vague - if I can get near a whiteboard that actually has staves written in. A large stencil for the staff for a whiteboard would be great -or check out this thing!

http://www.cuttingmatms.com/all-products/music-staff-liner

5. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

I had a stamp kinda like waparker4's link, which was nice for short notes, but I use staff paper now. If I find the stamp I'll take a pic of it. As I recall it was just one or two measures at a time which is nice for riffs or a rhythm pattern.

6. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

some sort of rubber wheel stamp with lines on it you could roll on an ink pad... and roll across any width page.....

do they exist?...;)

7. Gautfrid

Gautfrid Banned

8. majorbugout

majorbugout Tele-Meister

Take a thin sheet of Lexan. Draw your 5 lines with a sharpie and straight edge. Drill holes and use a coping saw to open them up. Clean up the slots with a file. Slap it down on your paper or what have you and trace the lines. Bob's you uncle.

9. Larry F

I'm sorry that I wasn't clear. When I teach, I write things down on sheets of blank paper. This gives me room to write sentences, outlines, tables, graphs, and notes as letter names. Maybe 95% of what I write is in this format. The other 5% of my writing uses a staff with some notes written on it. If I used regular staff paper, I wouldn't have much room to write sentences, outlines, etc. If I wrote on blank paper for the sentences, etc., I could switch over to staff paper when writing notes. But that complicates things for the student.

All I really want is a tool to draw a staff line anywhere on the blank sheet of paper that I want. If such a tool exists and works well, my problem is solved.

10. Larry F

11. klasaine

klasaine Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

12. Mister B

Mister B Tele-Holic

How about a Noligraph pen? Never seen one in the flesh (found courtesy of Google). It would be pretty simple to make one - five biro refills, small block of wood with some holes drilled.

13. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.