1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

staff drawing tool

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by Larry F, Jan 19, 2015.

  1. Larry F

    Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

    Posts:
    16,899
    Joined:
    Nov 5, 2006
    Location:
    Iowa City, IA
    There are times when I could really use a 5-line musical staff drawing tool. When teaching, I write down the different things we talked about, mostly as a record of what happened that week. I use blank paper for that. If I want to write in notation, I will draw a staff freehand, which sucks. I once had a tool that you could dip in ink, the drag across the page to produce a staff. It was a mess, with ink. Is there a ballpoint pen version of this? I looked around inside the internet and didn't see anything. Any ideas?
     
  2. Chris S.

    Chris S. Asst. Admin

    Age:
    66
    Posts:
    6,995
    Joined:
    Mar 26, 2005
    Location:
    Near TELE-Town (Wash. DC)
    I used to just write on staff paper. :confused: CS
     
  3. waparker4

    waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

    Posts:
    18,996
    Joined:
    Nov 9, 2011
    Location:
    Philadelphia, PA
  4. slowpinky

    slowpinky Tele-Afflicted

    Posts:
    1,957
    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2009
    Location:
    Melbourne ,Australia
    I would love something for the whiteboard whilst teaching- the pre- painted lines on boards wear away , get messy and vague - if I can get near a whiteboard that actually has staves written in. A large stencil for the staff for a whiteboard would be great -or check out this thing!

    http://www.cuttingmatms.com/all-products/music-staff-liner
     
  5. Obsessed

    Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

    Posts:
    26,760
    Joined:
    Nov 21, 2012
    Location:
    Montana
    I had a stamp kinda like waparker4's link, which was nice for short notes, but I use staff paper now. If I find the stamp I'll take a pic of it. As I recall it was just one or two measures at a time which is nice for riffs or a rhythm pattern.
     
  6. trev333

    trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

    Posts:
    26,539
    Joined:
    Dec 3, 2009
    Location:
    Coolum Beach,Australia
    some sort of rubber wheel stamp with lines on it you could roll on an ink pad... and roll across any width page.....

    do they exist?...;)
     
  7. Gautfrid

    Gautfrid Banned

    Posts:
    2,747
    Joined:
    Aug 25, 2013
    Location:
    England
  8. majorbugout

    majorbugout Tele-Meister

    Posts:
    268
    Joined:
    Apr 1, 2011
    Location:
    NY
    Take a thin sheet of Lexan. Draw your 5 lines with a sharpie and straight edge. Drill holes and use a coping saw to open them up. Clean up the slots with a file. Slap it down on your paper or what have you and trace the lines. Bob's you uncle.
     
  9. Larry F

    Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

    Posts:
    16,899
    Joined:
    Nov 5, 2006
    Location:
    Iowa City, IA
    I'm sorry that I wasn't clear. When I teach, I write things down on sheets of blank paper. This gives me room to write sentences, outlines, tables, graphs, and notes as letter names. Maybe 95% of what I write is in this format. The other 5% of my writing uses a staff with some notes written on it. If I used regular staff paper, I wouldn't have much room to write sentences, outlines, etc. If I wrote on blank paper for the sentences, etc., I could switch over to staff paper when writing notes. But that complicates things for the student.

    All I really want is a tool to draw a staff line anywhere on the blank sheet of paper that I want. If such a tool exists and works well, my problem is solved.
     
  10. Larry F

    Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

    Posts:
    16,899
    Joined:
    Nov 5, 2006
    Location:
    Iowa City, IA
  11. klasaine

    klasaine Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

    Posts:
    9,311
    Joined:
    Nov 28, 2006
    Location:
    Los Angeles, Ca
  12. Mister B

    Mister B Tele-Holic

    Posts:
    564
    Joined:
    Feb 20, 2009
    Location:
    United Kingdom
    How about a Noligraph pen? Never seen one in the flesh (found courtesy of Google). It would be pretty simple to make one - five biro refills, small block of wood with some holes drilled.
     
  13. BigDaddyLH

    BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

    Posts:
    56,711
    Joined:
    Sep 1, 2009
    Location:
    Kelowna, BC, Canuckistan
    [​IMG]
     
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.