1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Stacking "Klone" + ???

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by thejeffersonlee, Oct 23, 2020.

1. thejeffersonlee

thejeffersonlee TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

My first thought after plugging in the Tumnus was, "Ermergerd, I need another one." I'm keeping the gain around 9 most of the time where it gets that mid-to-late 90s indie/alt OD sound. Getting another one would give me a lower gain option, allow turning down the Tumnus gain a bit for a "middle" gain by itself, and still get that nice break up with both engaged.

I'll probably end up doing this. I know I'll end up doing this. I'll tell myself the little "regular" Tumnus will be enough. Then I'll get FOMO for the added EQs on the Deluxe and end up with two golden klones on my board. #thatpedallife

2. johnny7

johnny7 Tele-Meister

This thread is very timely for me. I am looking at a Klon Clone for my board. I am torn between the Tumnus, Archer, Belle, Morning Glory, ODR-1 and the Timmy. (I would put it in front of my Keeley modded TS into an OCD all in the pre loop). I don't want to purchase all five and swap them out to test them on my board (my wife would divorce me if I did that) but am looking for recommendations. From my research, I believe the five pedals I am considering are relatively equal so the question really is which one to get. I play country and classic rock.

3. bo

bo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I put my WH Conspiracy Theory in front of my VS Open Road. That way I can get the drive from the CT but add back low end with the clean OR.

4. Cali Dude

Cali Dude Tele-Holic

I think that my Wampler Pantheon is pretty good for not coloring the basic tone of your rig. I am impressed with his pedals in general.

JayFreddy likes this.
  5. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Afflicted

I think a Timmy or OCD would be a perfect complement. I stack my Tumnus with an OCD and a Box of Rock -- between these 3 there's not much ground that can't be covered from perfect clean boost through ripping distortion.

JayFreddy likes this.
  6. thejeffersonlee

I won't argue that there is an upper-mids hump, but I will argue that the Klon mid hump doesn't stop my guitar & amp from sounding like my guitar & amp. The Klon circuit, exemplified here by the Tumnus (Deluxe), is not an amp-in-a-box, not compressed, has headroom for days, and it is "touch-sensitive." My specifically chosen pickups still sound like they were designed to sound, and both of my amps still retain their characteristic sound qualities. That, to me, is the definition of a transparent OD.

7. thejeffersonlee

Yeah, same. I like that he tends to include features we wish most pedals had. The Pantheon is his Bluesbreaker circuit, and it's got some real tweakability.

Cali Dude likes this.
  8. High Head Brad

High Head Brad Tele-Meister

Most of those pedals are not klones. The Tumnus and Archer are. The Tumnus is a good starting point if you want to try a Klone..... readily available and modestly priced

Cali Dude likes this.
  9. johnny7

johnny7 Tele-Meister

I ended up by a EHX Soul Food for $115 CAD. (The price was right). I will put that before my TS and OCD.

10. High Head Brad

High Head Brad Tele-Meister

good luck

11. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity

Another great video by Keith Williams.

12. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Klons and clones do have some sort of eq. There is a tone knob, which affects the highs, and I usually have it all the way down. The volume knob also boosts the bass. I use it in a master volume amp with a mids knob, so that may not work for other people.

I also have a Boss, I think OD-2. Supposedly too many mids, but I cut them somewhat and it sounds good.

Amp distortion is what these things were made to stack with. I guess if you really need to use another pedal instead, you can.

13. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire

I still like my SD-1.

Haven't tried stacking it with my Tumnus Deluxe, but it's on my list of stuff to try.

I also intend to try stacking the Tumnus Deluxe with a Paisley Deluxe, a Rook Royale, and my humble Silver Pony DIY Archer.

I gave up searching for "one board to rule them all". I find having a bunch of little ones dialed in to specific tone concepts works better for me.

Edit...

Wampler has a good video about stacking overdrives. The key takeaway is place the drive that you want to shape your overall tone LAST after the other drives.

14. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

The usual story is that Bill Finnegan played a Twin and designed the Klon to actually use the gain circuit & breakup in the pedal for cases when he couldn't turn the volume up loud enough on the Twin to get it to break up. So it was not necessarily intended to be used as a clean boost with the gain all the way down. A Klon with the gain all the way down and the volume up into a twin that was turned down below it's own natural breakup would not produce breakup, it would just make the amp deafeningly loud/bright/piercing because the amp would have plenty of headroom to take the pedal's boost and just get louder.

It was designed for Amps like Fenders that have a hole in the mid-range, that's all, seemingly like the TS.

IMO TS & Klon(e) work fine on amps with more mids if the amp is already turned way up to the point the mid-range boost just saturates the mids more instead of producing a mid-focused volume boost/EQ shift. But if the amp is turned down clean they won't work as well as they will into say a Fender amp.

radiocaster likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.