1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Stacking "Klone" + ???

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by thejeffersonlee, Oct 23, 2020.

1. thejeffersonlee

thejeffersonlee TDPRI Member

Recently purchased a Wampler Tumnus Deluxe, which is a *fantastic* pedal. It really opened my eyes, er, ears to just how much my other overdrives were coloring my tone. I have an SD-1 (SD stands for "standard") and a TC Electronic Tube Pilot. Never been crazy about either one, least crazy about the SD-1, and neither stacks well with the Tumnus.

I use the Tube Pilot almost exclusively for warm, bluesy stuff, but it's mostly a one-trick, specialized pony for my purposes and at risk of being removed because I can get great blues sounds from the Tumnus, too.

The SD-1 is a cheap pedal, I know, and it sounds cheap in my setup. I've mainly used it as a boost and not an overdrive because it's like pouring pink-packet sweetener over everything, doubly so with the fine vintage that is the Tumnus.

Can anyone suggest overdrives that don't color the tone, or "muffle" the clarity, that I could stack with the Tumnus? Something that will give me distortion-level overdrive when I kick it up a notch, or a meaner lead tone on demand?

(My Tele has G&L MFD single coils; Fender and Vox amps)

2. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Why not another Tumnus? If one is great, two must be better, right? They ARE pretty transparent.

I run a JHS Prestige boost (also acts as a buffer) in front of my Nux Horseman (another Klon-type)...it fattens up the tone and gives just the right amount of compression. For a similar fattening with less compression, I've also had great success with the TC Electronic Spark Booster, which is true bypass (I had the full-size one, which was more versatile than the mini). For what you're doing, stacking a boost ahead of your Klon-type might be all you need. Working the gain knobs of both pedals can get you into some pretty glorious overdrive, especially through a good tube amp (even moreso if it's set on the edge of breakup). A boost will also typically color the tone less than an overdrive, IME.

If you do need more drive than that, you might look at the TC Electronic Mojo Mojo. I've never owned one, but I've heard very good things about them.

3. bftfender

bftfender Poster Extraordinaire

My Rimrock MO seems to play well before pedals..after..or on its own. Just a great weapon to have for tone shaping. very precise.

4. kevsonic

kevsonic Tele-Meister

Mad Professor Royal Blue
    Timmy
    Barber Gain Changer
    Boss OD3

5. dswo

dswo Tele-Holic

Timmy is even more transparent than Tumnus. I’ve got ‘em in separate chains, though, haven’t stacked to date.

redchapterjubilee likes this.
  6. igor5

igor5 Tele-Meister

Klon circuit works amazing to stacking. My preferences are: king of tone, timmy, e nobels.

7. TX_Slinger

TX_Slinger Tele-Meister

Mine are all clones:

Klon>OCD>TS.

(Pegasus>Ultimate Drive>line 6 HD Tube screamer)

This really agrees with everything P90, Tele, and Gretschbucker, but not with my high output humbucker guitar, which prefers TS>amp distortion

8. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Friend of Leo's

I favor a blues breaker (KoT, Foxcatcher, etc.) in front of the klone. I would think a Timmy (or the like) would be equally useful here.

9. Mexitele Blues

Mexitele Blues Tele-Afflicted

I'm fond of treble booster into klone, gives a killer rock crunch. Also klone into full range OD gives up a great heavy sound. I tend to keep the gain up around 2:00.

I'm surprised to see the work transparent being used to describe the klone sound. The circuit has a very pronounced mid push and bass cut. I've found that using it as a clean volume boost results in a very boxy tone.

10. thejeffersonlee

I'll try a boost first, probably the TC Electronic Spark boost. I like their stuff for the most part, and they're built like tanks.

I think I'm going to look at the Timmy and the Foxcatcher. I can see immediate applications for the Timmy, and I like the clipping options on the MXR version. I don't need to stretch the imagination much to hear it on my board.

The Foxcatcher intrigues me. Its versatility could make it indispensable. Anyone have experience with this one?

11. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Afflicted

Timmy, OCD(and equivalents), and above all, other Klonez all stack well with Klones.

Like, 7 Klones deep turn on a buffer maybe, but experimenting is half the fun....

Treehouse and Lawdawg like this.
  12. jman72

jman72 Tele-Afflicted

I currently have the following set-up that works pretty well for most things (although I'm ready to put my Ratt or DS-1 back on board to give me some more aggressive tones):

Klone > Timmy > TS > OCD

The Klone is set to a low gain and is ALWAYS ON- basically it just gives my guitar tone more punch and presence. The Timmy is set for pretty thick gain if I want to kick it in. The TS isn't used much these days, and I use the OCD if I want a very overdriven tone (but I have a love/hate thing with the OCD because it gets buried in the mix so easily). I would say the Klone is my favorite, and it pretty much improves the tone of anything it is stacked with, but I still haven't found the perfect "other" OD pedal that will give me all I want.

13. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

I use a Klon type stacked with a RAT type.
    You should experiment with which pedal is before/after the other. Here is one way.

14. mikestearns

mikestearns Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

My BYOC Color Driver (clone of the colorsound power boost/overdriver) sounds great into my Klone, it also loves fuzzes. I never had issues putting my SD1 into it, but mine is also modded.

15. thejeffersonlee

I like using an OD to refine and add some clarity to my RAT. Still haven't settled on a happy medium between the Tumnus (alone) and the Tumnus+Rat sounds.

16. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

Brian Wampler will tell you the Tumnus/Klon is not transparent, and has demonstrated so in videos, even going so far to show it on an oscilliscope or analyzer IIRC.

It's mid humped just like a TS, just a little bit higher frequency (~1000hz). The tone circuit affects frequencies above about 300hz so can kind of boost the treble end but can't do anything about the bass. I've owned a Tumnus Deluxe and I found even it's added bass and mid knobs didn't really change the nature of the hump, who knows, maybe the mids knob frequency doesn't match up with the hump in the circuit.

If it sounds transparent it may be:

- Gain knob is really low so you're mostly getting your clean signal, the Klon gain knob is a dual stacked gain/blend knob. If you run it more as a boost you're mostly not hearing the gain part of the circuit anyway, which is where the hump comes in. Wampler also has discussed this in videos on the Klon.

- It just meshes well with your amplifier

If you want to stack it I'd suggest a flatter or scooped pedal.. a second humped pedal might be too much mid hump.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2020
    JayFreddy, 57fenderstrat and dswo like this.
  17. thejeffersonlee

It's not a flat frequency band, but it frequency and tone are separate elements. The Klon circuit and other "transparent" drives don't change the actual tone coming from your guitar. Some drive circuits can alter the actual tone of the signal going into the amp. I think of it like a clear coat vs opaque paint.

18. Mexitele Blues

Mexitele Blues Tele-Afflicted

Really splitting hairs here. Frequency response curve is one of many components to electric guitar tone.

19. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

In my experience (for which I am certain to be flamed) klones are very mid heavy. I’m gonna dive cover now... but they are.

Treehouse likes this.
  20. naveed211

naveed211 Tele-Afflicted

I like Klons with Bluesbreaker or JTM45 types. My favorite combos have been with a King of Tone clone and an OCD.

And to the other point in this thread, I don’t consider Klon circuits transparent at all. There’s a noticeable high mid thing going on there. Pleasing to the ear, but clearly there. They all sound a bit different though, I’ve had some more transparent and some more mid heavy, actually.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.