Stacking Drive Pedals

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by thefruitfarmer, Dec 7, 2017.

Which order of stacked drive pedals do you use?

1. Hi gain first down to lower gains last.

26.4%
  2. Lower gain first down to hi gain last.

59.7%
  3. Some other order....

13.9%
  1. thefruitfarmer

thefruitfarmer Tele-Meister

Well, I have recently started stacking a Boss OD-3 into a Boss DS-1.

Sounds great.

I have been using the OD-3 as a heavier crunch than the amp and the DS-1 as a lead sound with the volume up a tad and the drive at a moderate level. They blend together to make a more complex third sound, which is cool.

Someone suggested running the higher gain first so I tried that and it does retain the higher gain but without the squeels, artifacts and noise. It was more controlled with higher gain first but I am not convinced, I like the thing where it almost going out of control with the DS-1 after the OD-3 rather than the more polite alternative...

What is everyone doing ? and Why?

Noface and RetroTeleRod like this.
  2. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

don't stack myself, but Pete Celi from Strymon discusses it well, half-way through this

chemobrain likes this.
  3. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

I run my SD1 into my OD3, both with gain set fairly low. Depending on the amp and guitar, one might work better than the other by itself. But kicking on the second one makes for nice creamy, sustainy lead tone for all amp and guitar combinations.

kevsonic and irie like this.
  4. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I run a fuzz and a Gunshot into a MIAB that I keep on a low gain setting. Almost clean. Fuzz for balls out solos. Gunshot for a little more sustain and smoothness. If I boost, I do it after everything else.

5. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's

I actually prefer more of a EQ/boost or treble booster in front of higher gain pedals to push them into higher gain. Then after that I'm firmly in the high>med>low stacking camp.

I use this to bang the front end of higher gain pedals, adds just a hint of hair with gain knob and eq lets me push a certain range of mids forward a bit.

Early version VFE Rocket parametric boost.
    [​IMG]

6. funkysoul

funkysoul Tele-Meister

fisrt goes EHX east river drive.then joyo sweet baby

7. DeVilleDude

DeVilleDude Tele-Holic

My current favorite stacks are a Paisley Drive, Skreddy P19 or Dingotone germanium fuzz into a Euphoria.

Kayle McGuire and ndeli55 like this.
  8. Tele-phone man

Tele-phone man Tele-Afflicted

I like a lower gain, slight level boost going into a mildly driven pedal. Currently, I have my OD3 going into my Tech21 Hot-Rod Plexi. It's more harmonically complex than using the straight boost section of the HR Plexi to up the gain.

9. Iago

Iago Friend of Leo's

The pedal that's further down the signal chain will preserve more of it's character when stacking IME, that's what I take into account, not necessarily which one is gainier which one isn't.
    Usually, I'll have "amp-based" pedals (Plexi Drive, Marvel Drive, English Channel, Professor Tweed, etc) coming 2nd. Solo boost pedals (Clark Gainster, Zendrive, Treble Booster, etc) and fuzzes will be first.

coolikedat99 and thefruitfarmer like this.
  10. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

Since I switched amps to a Hot Rod Deluxe I've been enjoying the way a Tube Screamer sounds again. I also have a Rat on my board right after the TS-9. I've heard that stacking a TS into a Rat is magical, so it's definitely on my "must try" list. Previously I've not been much of a stacker, with the exception of a compressor into a dirt pedal. Here's an interesting article about some classic pairings.
    http://tonereport.com/blogs/tone-tips/4-perfectly-pleasing-pedal-pairs

11. Obelisk

Obelisk Tele-Afflicted

I use a fOxx Tone Machine fuzz/wah or Roland Double Beat Fuzz/wah going into another drive box. Right now I have been using a Black Arts Toneworks Black Forest or an 80's Maxon ST-01 Super Tube Screamer(basically a TS-9 with a better tone control system-great pedal). I like the idea of using the higher gain pedal first with the second pedal being set up more clean almost like a boost pedal. I use a Slide Rig compressor before both of them to drive them harder. You have to figure out what works for you. I am in the higher gain pedal first camp, but will adjust according to need.

12. Danjabellza

Danjabellza Friend of Leo's

So I do low gain up to high gain with a little twist. My first pedal is the looking glass OD from DOD, which is fairly amp like, and I generally have it set to a mid-gain rhythm sound. Then I have a bifet boost(more as a buffer and subtle tone control), then my volume pedal, then my 805(TS type)which I set for more bluesy early breakup sounds, then my gunslinger distortion for more the hot rodded 800 sounds. Then my tremolo into my M5 which does either verbs or delay.

13. Bill

Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Used to use a pair of Vox Valvetone 810 Overdrives. First one high Level, low Gain. Second one low Level, high Gain.

14. Platefire

Platefire Friend of Leo's

I recently turned in my DS-1 for a RAT2 and happier for it but on my minimalist pedal board I've been running a VS Route 66(TS 808 clone) into a TS-5.
    Wouldn't thought running a TS into a TS would be
    to hot but I'm liking it a bunch. Got the Route 66 set at 12:00 Gain and pretty loud volume and the TS-5 Gain about 2:00 with less volume. I only kick both of them in when I really want to squawk! Platefire

BTW-Don't mind the settings in the picture compared to what I said, they have changed!

IMG_20171110_214213.jpg

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
    RetroTeleRod likes this.
  15. j5jarod777

j5jarod777 Tele-Meister

Soul Food>BD-2

16. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Lately for dirt tones I have been using a Visual Sound Garagetone Drivetrain OD and newest version of Fulltone OCD.
    The DT set medium dirty into the OCD with gain low and level up is a great lead tone.
    TS into Rat is cool too used that for a long time.
    Most guys have multiple dirt pedals just experiment and see what you like.

Staypuft1652 likes this.
  17. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

Have you tried stacking them like this?

[​IMG]

18. KellyCaster71

KellyCaster71 Tele-Holic

So glad I just saw this post. I literally just got done re-ordering my board.
    I switched a few things around and I get so much conflicting information so I just used my ears. I stack 3 distortions and usually put 2 of the 3 on at once. Here's the order I just switched to. I'm not a professor at this so I tried to make sense of it. Let me know if you see any weirdness in this. I wasn't sure where the compressor and the smart gate should go. I don't use the gate much anyway.

Polytune
    Rogue Compressor
    Lovepedal Babyface Tremolo (don't use much)
    1968 original Vox Tonebender
    Tubescreamer at lower gain
    MXR 78 Badass Distortion at higher gain

Rogue Analog Delay
    MXR Smart Gate

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  19. ScribbleSomething

ScribbleSomething Tele-Holic

I’m fond of fuzz to tube screamer to distortion of the moment.

20. RockinforJesus

RockinforJesus TDPRI Member

5FC522D9-4729-4C32-93E7-DA60A2A7EFBC.jpeg Compressor>Octave>Lower gain Overdrive>Higher gain Overdrive>Volume(tuner output)>Delay>Reverb>ABY>Vox AC15C1 Normal and Top Boost channels with extra footswitch for amp reverb and tremolo

thefruitfarmer and Bill like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.