Stacking Compressors… What Madness?

MilwMark

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
I like playing dynamics. So one compressor pedal is dicey but two is a no for me. Running a dynamic playing signal through two comps post is an entirely different thing. That makes sense to me if compressing a 12 string to harness and emphasize the beautiful harmonics is the goal.

Flip G

Tele-Holic
I remember watching YouTube videos on recording vocals, and a number of them suggested stacking as many as four compressors on the vocal track for the final mix. It separates the vocals from the rest of the mix. Stops them from being buried. I ended up with two in combination that I liked. Maybe it's a trick of digital recording that I should try on future projects. Thanks for the suggestion.

JohnnyThul

Tele-Meister
I have an Origin Cali 76 Stacked Edition and it can do beautiful things to my sound. I have had the pedal only for a month now and haven't gotten really into it, but it is capable of very subtle to very squashing tones. There is a setting in the booklet called "clean overdrive" and it actually sounds exactly like that. Pretty cool pedal!

Platefire

Friend of Leo's
Makes sense to me. I use a Modded BOSS CS-3 at the front of my chain set low as a type of leveler and add a bit of sustain. The Boss stays engaged all the time. Next is line is my Dyna Comp for my insane squash tone. I just stomp the dyna when i want to take a squash trip. How could you live with any less:>)

Here she be
Church Board.jpg

Tele-beeb

Friend of Leo's
Makes sense to me. I use a Modded BOSS CS-3 at the front of my chain set low as a type of leveler and add a bit of sustain. The Boss stays engaged all the time. Next is line is my Dyna Comp for my insane squash tone. I just stomp the dyna when i want to take a squash trip. How could you live with any less:>)

Here she be
View attachment 942025
Really making me think hard about a second comp.
Another SP or that cool Harlow by Bogner!$!

codamedia

Poster Extraordinaire
Stacking compression is common in a studio, and not just with guitars. Most tracks go through 2 - 3 compressors by the time the final mix is done. Quite often when someone is trying to figure out a guitar tone from an album compression is the secret sauce that is overlooked. The tone of an LA2A, 1176, and others is stamped on EVERY guitar track we love.

I use two comps on my board.... one is more aggressive, kicked on for the obvious effect when needed. The other is very subtle, always on, and sits at the end of my chain to add a polished finish to my tone.

Daytona.57

Tele-Meister
Often I, will use a BOSS CP-1X, at the front of chain and a Diamond compressor after overdrives. I have the option of boosting into overdrives or after to retain picking dynamics or running both at the same time.

Sometimes, I will add a BOSS CS-2 at the end for sustain or multiple compressors and delays for Gilmourish or Ry Cooder sounds.

loopfinding

Friend of Leo's
I use an opto in my chain, but for experimental music I slap an additional brick wall at the end and slam it. Bringing the imperceptible up to the same level as the rest of the signal, or having lots of ducking as a result can lead to some interesting sounds. Kind of like the same way this music is made:

And of course for normal music I will still add light comp to a guitar track in the DAW, even if I was using a comp to record it. I probably would not use two in a live situation, I think that’s overkill.

Last edited:

4pickupguy

Doctor of Teleocity
Mastering can involve MANY stages of compression. I haven’t run across a need through my rig. I can get away with one for cleaning up my ODs for less gain.

That Cal Webway

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I wonder how many compressors they used on "Welcome To The Boom Town" by David and David? I bet they used ALL of the compressors.

Great tone memory/reference!!

I know one of the guys used a Boss- not as commonly used then, fuzz type pedal.

That Cal Webway

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I hv 5 compressors. Very subtle use when I use one.
Sometime I'll try 2, going for the subtler enhancement. Sounds fun.