intensely calm

Tele-Meister
I've been planning to build a St. Vincent-ish guitar for over a year now, just never find the time with a hundred other things going on.
Then while watching some of the GGBO official and unofficial builds, I decided to challenge myself to do a prototype build, using less-than desirable materials, left-over parts, scrap lumber... basically a Home Depot build.

So, I foolishly agreed to take on my self-challenge and build another guitar. This knowingly caused a negative ripple in my other projects...I'm a jerk!

StMonroe-front.jpg

Anyway, this project gets roughly 1 hour of build time, at a time. On every other Saturday, it gets about 3 hours.... Then factor in dumb mistakes and glue dry time, for some less than optimal time management.

Bottom line, I'm having fun, testing some new practices (for me), cleaning out some scrap lumber and random component bins.

StMonroe-back.jpg

intensely calm

Tele-Meister
Izzat body laminated?

Yep, it is the poster-child for lamination.
A mixture of two different cabinet grade plys (neither of which are very beautiful = scrap).
One of the plywoods is tuned to "D", the other to "E", so the body should have a sympathetic resonance of roughly Eb. (just kidding)

I don't tonewood, but I plywood.
This is the 3rd ply guitar I've made, but the first with the layers standing upright.
Creates an interesting structural problem, and that is why I added the Sapele wood spine to create a strong neck pocket area. I plan to cut and insert a bridge plug into the body also, adding stability to the bridge mount and transfer of energy - sciencey stuff I guess.

The neck and body weigh in at 6lbs on the nose. A little weight will be shed for cavity routs, but more added for hardware. I'm guessing the guit will push ±8lbs finished.

Current plan includes 2 P90s either from a parts bin or I'll hand wind, possibly a tele-style control layout, but also considering an LP selector switch location.
Probably a boat jack on the lower back (maybe), pickguard (maybe), scavenged tuners, controls and bridge....
New frets and strings though, I have to draw the line at some point!

Should be fun!

intensely calm

Tele-Meister
A number of things large and small have been happening with this project.

Testing ideas, processes, and just winging it as well.

06_RoughFront.jpg

The neck is finished, finger board in CA and the rest in Tru-Oil.
High/Wide frets pressed in, leveled and polished to a glistening luster.
The body "stained" using a diluted black urethane basecoat (reduced to a stain).
Then some sealer/top coat testing using SOLAREZ Grain Filler Sealer. It's really just a sealer, there wasn't really any "filler" in the jug.

02_PUtest.jpg

Some cheap p90s are getting a shielding experiment preformed. Not only did I shield cavities, I also shielded the pickups.
That should make drawing a conclusion, inconclusive.

03_PUshield1.jpg

04_PUshield2.jpg

What else....so busy with my day job I have yet to put it all together.
Considering it's 2020, I feel very fortunate to have work, so no complaints here!

05_RoughBack.jpg

The SOLAREZ was flat sanded to a nice dull 800 grit finish, this photo is before the sanding - still a bit rough.

intensely calm

Tele-Meister
The project is a wrap - for now.
Body sanded back to a matte 800 grit finish, which may change in the future - IDK.

body1.jpg

body2.jpg

Wiring and all is buttoned up. I like the look of the "hiden" output jack, but I question how user-friendly it will be in that location.
If it were a "good idea" the brands would be doing it... oh well, it's a good experiment.
Still need to add some strap buttons, otherwise, it's done!

A little testing reveals the the guitars sounds better than my playing ability.

body4.jpg

This was a fun project and I still have all my fingers. Now it's time to clean my work space and plan the next build.

crazydave911

Doctor of Teleocity
FYI if the body is thick enough you can mount that jack cup in the side where a normal tele jack is. Just as hidden and more handy ;)

Dave

Last edited:

Jim_in_PA

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Where did you source the 4 + 2 tuning machines?
They are readily available. Some vendors like Philadelphie Luther Supply sell preconfigured kits with a brand like Gotoh and sometimes you just need to buy individual tuners with the proper configuration for left-side and right-side.
------

OP, that looks outstanding!!! I actually like the jack on the back and at that angle, I can't imagine it's going to be an issue with that body shape and strap location. I may try that sometime.

intensely calm

Tele-Meister
FYI if the body is thick enough you can mount that jack cup in the side where a normal tele jack is. Just as hidden and more handy ;)

Dave

@crazydave911
Thanks Dave!
The lower rear "bout" of the body tapers from 1-5/8" down to about 1-3/16-ish.
I had thought of using an Electro-Socket, those nice telecaster replacement jack sockets, and that probably would have worked well.
This strat boat style socket would have been VERY tight, that's what made me try a back location.
It works, but I don't think it will have good feng-shui-ergonomics, lol

I'm going to build another one of these, and I'll likely go with either the tele style electro-socket, or some slim-line acoustic style socket - or, I'll change my mind a hundred more times.

I have no idea what I'll do, ha!

intensely calm

Tele-Meister
Love it. Rock on!

Where did you source the 4 + 2 tuning machines?

@tubegeek, these are salvage tuners from a parts bin. I have a bunch of 3x3s and 6 on a side.
I also have a new set of 4x2 hipshot openback locking tuners, which may go on this guitar.

The salvage tuners I used, were "salvage" for a reason. They aren't holding tune well and have poor ratio ta-boot.

A fun project and great experiment... I'm all template ready to build a better version of this now.

intensely calm

Tele-Meister
They are readily available. Some vendors like Philadelphie Luther Supply sell preconfigured kits with a brand like Gotoh and sometimes you just need to buy individual tuners with the proper configuration for left-side and right-side.
------

OP, that looks outstanding!!! I actually like the jack on the back and at that angle, I can't imagine it's going to be an issue with that body shape and strap location. I may try that sometime.

@Jim_in_PA

Thanks Jim!
The only thing that really bothers me is ease of access. It doesn't feel as "natural" trying to plug in on the back. Kinda working blind back there.
Once plugged in, it's actually really nice and out of the way. Cosmetically, it really, really works.

Take care!