1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

SSS vs HSS

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Kayle McGuire, Jun 25, 2018.

1. Mincer

Mincer Tele-Holic

The Start sounds I like are either neck alone or neck & middle. So it makes sense for me to use a humbucker in a bridge (I use one that sounds good split, too). I have to admit, I like HH better than HSS, though.

2. awasson

awasson Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Yes, I can see the apeal of a H Strat. I tried one back in the mid-80’s. A MIJ “Strat” with a single humbucker and a volume control. No where near as flexible as other configurations but it does what is was made to do very well.

3. Zepfan

Zepfan Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

I want to build a S/S/H Strat. Tele bridge pickup / RWRP Gold Foil or P90 middle / Firebird neck.

That would cover a lot of ground and have a lot of wonderful tones.

4. stratoman1

stratoman1 Friend of Leo's

I tried a bridge bucker in hopes of having a Swiss Army Knife guitar. It just didnt do it for me

5. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Afflicted

While I do generally prefer the sound of a HB vs. SC in the bridge on its own, I find that a HB compromises the bridge/middle setting which is my favorite strat tone. I am leaning towards getting a HH tele to sort of split the difference between a Gibson/Fender tone.

6. Kayle McGuire

Kayle McGuire Tele-Meister

What exact model of strat is this? I looove it!

7. Trow

Trow Tele-Holic

I definitely prefer HSS. My #1 has a ‘bucker in the bridge but it’s coil tapped. Honestly, I rarely use the coil tap though. If I want a single coil sound I switch to the neck.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.