SS Amp recommendations?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by lineboat, Mar 5, 2019.

1. mthowlett

mthowlett Tele-Meister

Quilter - the future of amplification

Jimmy Dean likes this.
  2. mad dog

mad dog Friend of Leo's

I've been trying SS amps for years. Enjoyed many. Bandits of course. Lab Series L5 and L3. Several Quilters. A Fender London reverb long ago.

My favorites by a long shot are 80s Polytone Minibrutes. 90 - 100 watts, modest size. Warm, beautiful sounds. I have two. A MB II with 12" speaker and reverb. And a MBIV, with 15" speaker and reverb. The more recent ones have a ton of knobs. Complicated. The earlier ones IMO are the way to go.

I'll be selling the MB IV soon. Not cause it sounds bad. Too many damn amps!

3. Danjabellza

Danjabellza Friend of Leo's

Thank orange cr120 is pretty well liked. As far as I can tell sounds good with pedals too. I’ve never played one myself, but my tone snob friend had one and constantly says how it was the best crunch sound he ever had out of any amp.

4. cacophony

cacophony Tele-Meister

I use a pedal format amp from Aion -- Lab Series L5. Two channels.
    IMG20190303033631.jpg

Tele-beeb and faasie85 like this.
  5. Lynxtrap

Lynxtrap Tele-Holic

That question needs an answer. Otherwise these threads go on until everyone has recommended the particular amp he/she uses, or every solid state amp known to mankind has been mentioned. Law of nature.

MusicCityGrooves likes this.
  6. John E

John E Tele-Afflicted

I love my Katana 100. Not only the best bang fer buck, but actually one of the best amps I have ever owned. And I have owned very many.

Bruxist and Chicago Slim like this.
  7. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

Another very satisfied Peavey Special 130 (1983) user here. Those are the models with the mid sweeps... that makes a big difference.
    It's loud, it's clean, it's versatile, it sounds great and it's reliable. Mine takes on about 80% of the workload, the AC30 and SF Vibrolux share the other 20%. Yes - it is that good!

There lies the secret of a Special 130... with the mid sweep you can get a huge variety of voices from the amp.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
    Nickadermis and Henry Mars like this.
  8. BluesGuitarMart

BluesGuitarMart Tele-Meister

I'd recommend a Blackstar TVP60 combo. Not only do they sound great without having to edit via software, I've also never heard a solid state amp that takes pedal as well as this amp does.

An underrated amp in my opinion, they have their fans but they aren't widely discussed on here at all. I use the 6L6, clean bright setting dimed to the USA side for fantastic Fender cleans. Then an OD3 for my crunch.

Edit: Editing just to add, without knowing what style of music you're playing it's hard to recommend anything. I play blues, classic rock and some harder rock also.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
  9. Bruxist

Bruxist Friend of Leo's

I love my Pathfinder 15R, if you can find one used. Not sure how that compares to your cube.

For many years, I had a c. 1990 red knob Fender Princeton Chorus. I sold it because it was not what I wanted, but honestly, I think I could make it be, with the right pedals. Kinda regret getting rid of it. Especially as clean as it was. Anyways, you see these around going cheap. Also the larger Power Chorus (2x12). They are like a Fendery Jazz Chorus.

lineboat likes this.
  10. Jimmy Dean

Jimmy Dean Tele-Afflicted

Quilter.

ucnick likes this.
  11. JustABluesGuy

JustABluesGuy Friend of Leo's

Another vote for the Peavey Bandit. It has lots of good cleans, decent distortion, very cheap, takes pedals well, dependable, LOUD, and very easily replaceable. It would help to know what styles you play, or tones you are shooting for, but the Bandit can cover pretty much any style.

I picked up a (pretty rough) red stripe bandit for $80 because I wanted a high powered amp for loud cleans when needed, and as a backup. It's a very giggable “throw down” amp that doesn’t sound like a throwdown amp.

I personally prefer the edge of breakup tones from tubes, and the Bandit does that better than most SS amps I have tried. I sounds quite decent to me. Other good amps have been mentioned as well. L5s, Roland Cubes and JC models, Katanas and Mustangs all seem to have happy users. The only one of them I have tried was a small, older model Fender Mustang a buddy owns, and I was able to get pretty decent sounds out of it pretty easily.

Try and play as many different ones as you can, to see what sounds best to your ears for your style.

12. DOC DYA

DOC DYA Tele-Meister

I use an Orange Crush 35 RT, no bells and whistles but wonderful sounds. If you want more power the Crush 60. Otherwise, you can't go wrong with a Peavey Bandit or even an Envoy...

13. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Tele-Afflicted

Cube 80 is plenty loud for gigs. Cube 60 also. And, an efficient external speaker is even louder. And, I find they are bug free.

Honest Charley likes this.
  14. OldGuy6873

OldGuy6873 Tele-Holic

I'll also recommend the SS Orange products. They sound great.

DOC DYA likes this.
  15. The Blood

The Blood Tele-Meister

Another happy Peavey Special 130 owner here, although I gig more with my DRRI and PR silverface. That 130 has too much power for most of my situations. I also have the Katana 50 which I think is great, for what it is. A grab and go, lightweight and self contained solution for a lot of situations.
    There's a Peavey Bandit in our local Craigslist right now for $120 which I'd jump on if I had a bunch of cash, and space. If nothing else, just out of curiosity to see why they are so popular.

16. adeiderich

adeiderich Tele-Afflicted

I had one back in the day- they are excellent amps and you can them for about $350 now.

17. lineboat

lineboat Friend of Leo's

Wow. Lots of options out there!

To answer the question, I play everything from sparkly clean stuff to pretty hard rock. Not metal, but punk rock, classic rock, a little country sometimes.
    And yeah, I’m looking for something cheaper, something that won’t hurt too bad if it’s stolen or destroyed by a bunch of rowdy drunks. I have some good Tube amps, but I’m trying to get away from taking them to some of these places.
    Thanks for all the advice! I’ll check them all out!

18. Ted Witton

Ted Witton Tele-Meister

Modelling amps are generally lighter in weight and offer a greater variety of sounds and in many cases, added effects. But when you have finished twiddling knobs, you tend to end up with a very few favourite settings.
    With the progress that has been made with multi effects in particular, pedal boards also, the best bang for buck just has to be your chosen effects into a Peavey Bandit of one or other variety. The earlier US versions are built to last and get close to Fender tone, the later Chinese models a bit less heavy but still well built and offer a wider range of tone and facilities. I just picked up a red stripe for £50 which will give most of my other amps valve and modelling a run for their money and if it gets stolen/trashed well I shall just find another.
    Ted

19. Tele-beeb

Tele-beeb Friend of Leo's

That “Lab Series in a Box” must be the coolest pedal on the planet!

cacophony likes this.
  20. strat56

strat56 Tele-Holic

I'll chime in. I have 5 good solid state amps I use to play country, classic rock and blues. I use them all as a clean pedal platform.

Roland Blues Cube Artist - not inexpensive, even used, but includes reverb, tremolo, effects loop, presence, two channels, boost and a tone switch that sounds like it bumps the mids a little on each channel. Also includes a switch to use both channels at the same time, allows the cleans to be run with the dirty channel to put some sparkle back in. Master volume and a power attenuation knob that can run at 4 settings between 80, 45, 15 watts and 1/2 watt, sounds good at all of them. One drawback here is shared TMB between the channels.

Quilter Aviator Gold - Not inexpensive either, two channel amp, clean channel has a Quilter "Tone" control, dirty channel has TMB, High Cut also has reverb and dwell for the reberb, an effects loop, direct out and ext speaker jack. 100 watts per channel.

Peavey Bandit - I have two Bandits, a red stripe and an 80's Bandit 65. These are both great, the red stripe is more complex than the 65, switches to change the character of each channel and a couple extra knobs that I don't use much. The 65 is a simple two channel, shared EQ (pull thick on one of the knobs maxes the mids when on the overdrive channel). Both are great but I lean towards the 65 for it's simplicity.

Peavey Special 130 - great amp like the Bandit 65, simple, but it's very loud.

lineboat likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.