SS AMP ADVICE

Arfage

Tele-Meister
Yeah from the videos i saw yesterday I'm sure I'll be happy with the Aviator Cub. I like that it's light and pretty compact, yet delivers a big sound. It sounds warm and bright, with good variation depending on which input you use. I didn't originally consider Quilter because it isn't seen in New Zealand. I'm pretty sure there is no importer here. Although I'd read about them in the past, i just haven't been exposed to them. The Boss/Roland or Blackstar amps are common in NZ, and i have played a few different models.
I've never owned an AC30, but have played through them. I've owned a Twin in the distant past, and love the sound but didn't want the size, weight, or to use a tube amp this time. I'm happy with modern analogue SS amps. They do all i want now.
Thanks for your input. 👍
I'm seeing that people like the Orange SS amps. I could be selling them short but they seem a little genre specific. Are they common where you are?

GrantR

Tele-Meister
I'm seeing that people like the Orange SS amps. I could be selling them short but they seem a little genre specific. Are they common where you are?
Yeah Orange amps, both tube and SS are pretty common in New Zealand. I've played through a couple of earlier SS models, Crush 60 was one from memory. I like them. They do have a good clean sound which is pretty specific to Orange, but it's a very usable sound. I haven't seen the latest versions as yet. I imagine they're good.
I have found and ordered an amp: a Quilter Aviator Cub. It wasn't one I'd previously looked at, but the clean to lightly overdriven Fender style sounds it produces are what I'm looking for. Search over 😊
Thanks for you input.

chris m.

Doctor of Teleocity
Yeah Orange amps, both tube and SS are pretty common in New Zealand. I've played through a couple of earlier SS models, Crush 60 was one from memory. I like them. They do have a good clean sound which is pretty specific to Orange, but it's a very usable sound. I haven't seen the latest versions as yet. I imagine they're good.
I have found and ordered an amp: a Quilter Aviator Cub. It wasn't one I'd previously looked at, but the clean to lightly overdriven Fender style sounds it produces are what I'm looking for. Search over 😊
Thanks for you input.
Orange SS series gets great reviews. But the clean tone is more similar to a Marshall clean tone, not the classic scooped Fender clean tone. I'm sure using something like a GE-7 EQ could help get a more scooped tone out of one, but if that's what you really crave-- classic Fender clean-- then there are better options out there, such as the Aviator Cub the OP bought.

thankyouguitar

Tele-Meister
If your budget allows it, either a Blues Cube Stage or Artist will allow you to use Roland Tone Capsules.

SzY7lqr.jpg

They provide a lot more tonal options for those two amps. (You can find them used for reasonable prices on Reverb, if you’re patient)

The Artist additionally privides a larger cabinet that improves lows and also contains a handy Presence control. (Power scaling from 80 watts down to 0.5 watt is a nice feature too)
I didn't think this image was real! I have seen into a whole new world.....

FWIW, I use solid state amps pretty much exclusively. Once I found the right preamp, whatever class D power amp I've plugged into has been able to amplify it with ease.

The one that still interests me is the Orange Terror Bass. 500watt lunchbox!

Arfage

Tele-Meister
Thanks for you input.
Great! It just seems to behave like a single channel tube amp. Gets along with all my overdrives when it has a bit of it's own going. Using that limiter control is cool, not tube like, can get "solid staty" but in a cool way, a little like a Peavey Bandit. I use it sometimes. Keep the Limiter turned all the way down and it's more tubey. Not the highest gain amp but really nice. Hope you like it.

Doc Smotpoker

TDPRI Member

GrantR

Tele-Meister​

JoinedMay 29, 2011Posts265Age67LocationNew Zealand
I'm looking for a new ss amp. The options I've come down to are, in no particular order: Nextone Artist, Silverline Deluxe, Blues Cube Artist, Nextone Special. I considered the TMDR, but i want more versatility than that provides. I'm after really good clean (leaning towards Fender cleans) to just breaking up / crunch sounds. I don't need any heavy / metal sounds. I play clean mainly. Any recommendations of those choices ? I'm in New Zealand. Gear over here is expensive and some things aren't easy to get. Thanks for advice from those who know these amps.

The Line 6 Catalyst that just came out have a fantastic clean tone, and has some fantastic settings. I would eyeball one of them. I love my Catalyst 60, and with some sweet talk I was able to get it for $50 off MSRP. Sweet amp. Loud, yet can be tamed with a built in power attenuation.

GrantR

Tele-Meister
The Line 6 Catalyst that just came out have a fantastic clean tone, and has some fantastic settings. I would eyeball one of them. I love my Catalyst 60, and with some sweet talk I was able to get it for $50 off MSRP. Sweet amp. Loud, yet can be tamed with a built in power attenuation.
Thanks for your input. As can be seen several posts back, I've ordered a Quilter Aviator Cub. It hasn't arrived yet, but from the videos I've watched it sounds as if it produces the Fender style clean sounds i like.
I agree. The Catalyst amps do sound good. I'm just not wanting all the bells and whistles of modelling 'type' amps. I know the Catalyst says it isn't trying to copy any particular amp models. I hope you enjoy your new amp. 😊👍

Doc Smotpoker

TDPRI Member
Thanks for your input. As can be seen several posts back, I've ordered a Quilter Aviator Cub. It hasn't arrived yet, but from the videos I've watched it sounds as if it produces the Fender style clean sounds i like.
I agree. The Catalyst amps do sound good. I'm just not wanting all the bells and whistles of modelling 'type' amps. I know the Catalyst says it isn't trying to copy any particular amp models. I hope you enjoy your new amp. 😊👍
I’m enjoying it immensely. Hope you are happy with what you ordered. For my tube amp I use a Bugera V5 Infinium which can go from 5w down to .1w that has been serving me well. I took it over to my dads house the other day when we were having a dinner, set it up outside, and just let it crank. That felt so good, and it could be heard clear as a bell. I was playing my new ‘59 Epi Limited Edition Les Paul Standard, and having some great fun with it. What a growl that thing has. The Gibson Custom Shop working with Epiphone on this guitar really paid some great dividends. It has all the ‘59 spec wiring, and Mallory caps. Monster sound from it.

chris m.

Doctor of Teleocity
I will reiterate that a simple EQ like a GE-7 can sometimes really help you dial in the amount of "Fender sparkle and chime" that you seek. Many clean tones out of amps seem a bit dull-- too mid forward-- and setting your graphic EQ in a Mona Lisa smile with the sliders, scooping the mids just a little bit, can really make the clean sound have that classic Fender tone. When you go for a more distorted tone, such as by kicking on an overdrive pedal, just click off the EQ pedal at the same time since you typically get a nicer sounding lead tone with the mids more forward.

bobio

Tele-Afflicted
Gold Supporter
I will reiterate that a simple EQ like a GE-7 can sometimes really help you dial in the amount of "Fender sparkle and chime" that you seek. Many clean tones out of amps seem a bit dull-- too mid forward-- and setting your graphic EQ in a Mona Lisa smile with the sliders, scooping the mids just a little bit, can really make the clean sound have that classic Fender tone. When you go for a more distorted tone, such as by kicking on an overdrive pedal, just click off the EQ pedal at the same time since you typically get a nicer sounding lead tone with the mids more forward.
Ditto 👍

20220417_152611231_iOS.jpg

GrantR

Tele-Meister
Thanks for the suggestion. I haven't tried using an eq pedal. I'm pretty happy with the sounds I'm getting out of the Aviator Cub, but may experiment with a GE-7 sometime.
I'm very happy with the Cub. It's a very nice amp, very responsive and takes pedals well. I'm pretty sure it will keep my GAS in check for some time 😁
Thanks everybody for your input 👍 Cheers

Barquentine

TDPRI Member
Had a Blues Cube Stage (60 W). It was OK, but somewhat difficult to dial in.

Sold it.

Bought an Aviator Cub. Love it.
3 flavors of Fender clean.
Decent useable reverb.
Layout is simple and easy to adjust.
Since it's SS and there's a Wattage selector switch, you can practice at reasonable volumes and then kick it up to the full LOUD 50 Watts or whatever the rehearsal or gig calls for.
Separate volume control for what goes to the board, so you in effect have a monitor.
Weighs 20 lbs.
Quilter is AMAZING for customer service. Send 'em an email and get one back in 24 hours from Pat Quilter himself.
View attachment 965542
Wattage selector switch? Can you post a pic? There's no such switch on my Cub.

Leonardocoate

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
I gigged with a Roland Blues Cube BC60 1x12 combo for a few years. Rock solid and really great tones.
Add a few pedals, and the only people that will sniff the air when you play will be tube amp snobs that can see you're playing through a SS amp. If it were behind a curtain, they'd think it was tube.
Does it feel like a tube amp when playing?

Disconnected

TDPRI Member
Orange SS series gets great reviews. But the clean tone is more similar to a Marshall clean tone, not the classic scooped Fender clean tone. I'm sure using something like a GE-7 EQ could help get a more scooped tone out of one, but if that's what you really crave-- classic Fender clean-- then there are better options out there, such as the Aviator Cub the OP bought.
True but I would suggest trying Orange Super Crush 100. That has some almost Fender-ish clean tones. Not so much experience with SS amps but that one impressed me.