SRV...Y?

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by poptheclutch, Oct 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brewwagon

brewwagon Poster Extraordinaire

i doubt it i'd like to reason

the dream was real to stevie look how he dressed

2. poptheclutch

poptheclutch TDPRI Member

You are correct. I think perhaps my opinion of his music should not have been a focus of this topic, but more as to why the Trekkie like aspect of some of his fans exist. It seems to me that the dudes in the hats and ponchos with their initials on their guitars are just over the top and it becomes less about having him as an influence and more about trying to be him. But anyways, thank you for your input.

3. KenH

KenH Tele-Holic

You have thrown a grenade into a crowd. At 7:02 AM this morning, unprovoked, you pushed the Enter Key and sent a missive that you hate SRV, EC and blues noodling in general. It is boring and you don't see how anyone could like them or that style of playing. I think it was antagonistic and you achieved the "Stir" you were striving for.

In a few weeks another "I don't get it thread" will develop just like the past several hundred have before yours and history will repeat itself.

4. surfoverb

surfoverb Doctor of Teleocity

music is subjective

in other words, nobody cares what you like/dislike.

I dont like SRV much either but I dont lay awake at night wondering why other people do.

Ill say this for someone who hates SRV you sure know a lot about his gear!

5. poptheclutch

I suppose it was somewhat antagonistic as I had just watched another video for a gear review where the guy barely turned the gain knob up on the pedal and proceeded to play blues scales through a clean Fender amp.

However, I did not mean to "stir" anything. I just wanted to know why this is so rampant.

6. telequacktastic

telequacktastic Tele-Afflicted

I'm not a huge blues fan either, I appreciate the music but I'm not a diehard like a lot of folks are down here in Texas. I will say at least you like bluegrass and DK/Flag.

When I was new on this forum, I posted an "I don't get John Mayer" thread and I don't think it was an inviting thread to some of the friends here. I have since given Mr. Mayer more of my listening time I have been rewarded with some new musical ideas from it.

7. brewwagon

[​IMG]
    page stairway solo

8. Red Square

Red Square Friend of Leo's

I bought a Tube Screamer simply because it seemed to be a pretty transparent pedal, as pedals go, and I needed something for a boost at the time. These days I go pedalless.
    I had no clue who else used one and really didn't care. I was trying to sound more like me and less like anyone else. I never got a sound out of it that sounded remotely like SRV.

As far as not getting SRV, I think one can not particularly like a given guitarist, but still "get" what others like about him/her.

A word of caution....using terms like "everybody" or "always" is a sure fire way to get slapped down, not just on this site, but in life.

9. poptheclutch

I didn't figure everyone would actually think I meant everyone. And I understand why people like SRV, that's their thing. What I don't get is why SOME (what seems like a lot to me) people seem to think the only use an overdrive pedal serves is to play blues. I guess I'm just frustrated with this use of and display of pedals in reviews because it does nothing for me as to what the pedal sounds like.

I misdirected my frustration at SRV and I apologize to him and his fans.

10. surfoverb

surfoverb Doctor of Teleocity

here's Keefs amp, does he sound like SRV?

[​IMG]

11. J-man

J-man Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    The way he dressed proves a dream was real?

Ok.:neutral:

12. poptheclutch

I wish I could start a general and positive thread that got this much response!

13. Norton72

Norton72 Tele-Afflicted

I agree with you on these points. Sorry for misunderstanding your intentions at the outset.

14. fuzzbender

fuzzbender Former Member

when i don't get something i blame my ignorance, lack of emotional width and depth, insularity, nurturing, you name it ;)

15. poptheclutch

It's all good, I didn't really make myself clear.

16. edwardb

edwardb TDPRI Member

OK, I can try to answer the question.

To understand why I like SRV, you would have to understand the context of when I first saw him play. At the time, it seemed to me everyone playing guitar was trying to sound like Eddie VanHalen. EVH is a great guitarist and I like his playing, but it seemed like everyone was trying to sound like him. The hair rock days. SRV was like a breath of fresh air. He was a monster player that sounded "new" and exciting to me. He popularized a style of playing that to a generation was "new" (based on something old of course, but that happens a lot in popular culture).

So if that's why I like SRV, could it be that when you first heard SRV, everyone was trying to sound like SRV. So he sounded cliche rather than fresh? Possible theory.

17. poptheclutch

I think you have clearly summed this up for me. Thank you.

18. Breen

Breen Friend of Leo's

I just hope OP learnt something about posting stuff on TDPRI.

Okie my opinion time! - The TS thing is way over dugged. Its the Dumble and the blasted out Fenders, and the absolute one of a kind way he plays guitars. No one can actually play his guitar, because of the action and strings. He has many superfluous sounding stories and claims, but he's the one guy that I believe it is closer to fact then fiction.

19. brewwagon

dreams are how we work out our problems the solution was simple to stevie he consulted the master

i like the "japanese airlines" kimono

jimi liked those alot too

[​IMG]

20. poptheclutch

What is there to learn? I had a question and I asked it. If that particular question ruffled some feathers for whatever reason, what can I do? First world problems and all. Your response is the type that puts people off from posting on forums and turns it into a private club for only like minded individuals.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.