SRV Stratocaster Owner's Club

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by gridlock, Nov 9, 2014.

1. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I did a search for SRV and no hits so I thought I would start this thread (sometimes my Thread Searches do not work out as planned).

Recently picked up a near mint SRV Strat. The S/N makes it out to be made in 1989 (E92), but I understand that these were first sold in 1992. From the paperwork with the guitar, the guitar was purchased new in 1995. I have to commend the previous owner for keeping the guitar in such immaculate condition.

So far, after a much needed string change (.010's), I like the guitar a lot. I've been on a SRV tone chasing kick for a few years and this guitar does help me get a little closer. Now I just need some much improved guitar skills.

Anyway, I am curious to know if we have other SRV Strat owners out there and their thoughts. I plan to some day change out the original pickguard on my guitar with a three ply black or white Fender replacement. Can't decide because they both look good. Hope to hear from other owners.

Attached Files:

2. RedWhiteBlues

RedWhiteBlues Tele-Meister

... I have a black white black 3 -ply on one of mine. I think it looks good.

Attached Files:

3. jd0272

jd0272 Tele-Meister

I had a '92. I stripped it. Painted it light yellow. Then stripped it again. Put a white 50's guard on, and a Duncan '59 Lil Somethingorother in the bridge. It absolutely rocked. Then I did one of the silliest things I've ever done (I've done a lot of silly things...) and sold it to some chap at the other end of The Island for £550. He loves it.

I shall be either i) buying a CS Strat with a bucker in the bridge and possibly a Floyd
    ii) parts-a-casting one.

I need a Strat again.

4. jd0272

jd0272 Tele-Meister

Here it is (was), take the finish off, opens them up. Really.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][/URL]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. jd0272

jd0272 Tele-Meister

No idea why that gig shot is there :(

6. tonyj

tonyj Tele-Afflicted

It gave us some time to think, and to mull over what we had seen and what we were about to see. Great idea!

Btw, your 'ex guitar' reminds me of the time I bought mine. I was undecided on which of two 'finalists' to choose, when the sales person pointed out the delicate, symmetrical, 'onion like' grain on one of them. All things being otherwise equal, this one did seem to have that superb extra quality, which ultimately prompted me to buy it. (Stand the guitar upright if you cannot see the grain I am referring to).

Looking at the body on 'your's', and perhaps because it has been rendered naked - more or less - it stands out even more. I am immediately seeing the 'onion grain', once again. Without the dark edge, it becomes even more evident. Beautiful! Even the colour is correct. Almost brings tears to my eyes ....;)

Great guitars - the SRVs - onions or not!!

7. gridlock

I like the gig shot.
    Cool guitar and I bet it sounds great with the mods. Mine is going to stay original except for the pickguard.

8. gridlock

Your guitar does look great and I'll probably go with the black pickguard also to keep with the SRV theme.

9. RedWhiteBlues

RedWhiteBlues Tele-Meister

...my other one still has the original pick guard. Some people think it's a bit cheesy, but I'm actually okay with it.

10. gridlock

Going to install a 3-ply black pick guard on my guitar today. Wish me luck.

11. tiskit86

tiskit86 Friend of Leo's

I bought one in late '92 or early '93 when I lived in New Hampshire. I liked it fine, but did put a MOP pickguard on. I think I sold it in Lexington, KY around '97 or so to fund a Taylor 714. Nine years later I sold the Taylor in San Francisco to partially fund the Froggybottom that I still own. And so it goes...

12. digiprod

digiprod Tele-Meister

I have owned more than one of these. The one I have now was the best one I found. I have changed the pickguard a few times. Stored away the SRV one. Recently I went back to the original saddles. This one is a 2008, but Stevie would have never played one in mint condition, LOL

Attached Files:

13. gridlock

Well I did the pickguard swap yesterday. Very happy with the look but I cannot get the bridge pickup to seat properly and the pickup moves up or down at the top side (low E string side ) of the pickup. I am guessing that I will have to remove the pickguard, and then figure out how to get the pickup to remain stationary once adjusted.

The adjustment screws on the pickups did not appear to have springs on them as shown in some "how to change your Strat pickguard" YouTube videos that I've watched.

The pickup adjustment screws seemed to just have (had) an orange colored silicon-like grommet (caulk) to hold the pickup in place VS springs. Unfortunately the grommets deteriorated as I removed the pickups from the pickguard and were not replaced. Not that I only have this problem with the bridge pickup and only one the top side.

I am hoping there is an easy fix to this problem and that I do not have to pull the guitar apart again.

Attached Files:

14. Bruxist

Bruxist Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Huh, just realized I never joined this club...

Planning to put on a plain black PG. Maybe black knobs and pup covers.

[​IMG]

15. tonytrout

tonytrout Friend of Leo's

I always wanted an SRV Strat but - never could afford one. FWIW, I think the "SRV" pick guard looks great on the guitar. I don't get why everyone wants to remove it.....That would be like taking the "flower-like" paintings/decal off of the extremely-hard-to-find Waylon Jennings tribute Telecaster......

Bruxist likes this.
  16. Bruxist

Bruxist Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Well, the genius that owned mine before me seems to have chiseled his way to the truss rod adjustment screw with some kind of improvised tool, possibly made in prison out of a spoon. Not only does this look bad, it seems to have started to crack the pickguard.

17. Drzfender

Drzfender TDPRI Member

I dont own an SRV strat but I'm a huge fan!

18. Radspin

Radspin Friend of Leo's

Gridlock, the rubber grommet you describe goes between the pickup and the pickguard to give it some "spring" tension, the same way a spring would. Depending on the year and model, Strat pickups can have either grommets or springs and both work fine. Those grommets are dirt cheap, or you can cut your own.

Make your own from these:

http://www.stewmac.com/Pickups_and_...n=2015-10-gp&gclid=CL_Y2tLp3sgCFQoTHwodwqAL0g

Or buy these: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitar-pickup-covers-parts/fender-pickup-tubing-12?cntry=us&source=3WWRWXGP&gclid=CLjA0u3p3sgCFYcTHwodT4MPrw&kwid=productads-plaid^131990803467-sku^361159000000000@ADL4MF-adType^PLA-device^c-adid^83738188347

There are those who say springs are more microphonic than using tubing...I never put it to the test.

Strat pickup height adjustment springs:

http://www.stewmac.com/Hardware_and_Parts/Screws_and_Springs/Single-coil_Pickup_Height_Spring.html

19. mojosman

mojosman Tele-Meister

I have a first year SRV model. Sadly not one of the rare Brazilian rosewood ones. I changed out the pick guard for a tortoise shell one. I'm thinking I may buy another one to modify. I don't want to alter the early one. I would prefer one with chrome hardware, and I'm not a fan of the Texas Specials. I would swap them with a set of D. Allen Texas floods. ImageUploadedByTDPRI1445820028.778346.jpg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.