SRV sober vs non-sober?

Poster Extraordinaire
So did I, same tour? He was fronting for Joe Cocker, in Michigan. It’s the only time I heard him live other than him getting up with Clapton and IMO intentionally underplaying—as you could hardly hear him—but I can’t imagine him being any better than that “In Step” tour. It was a tremendous performance.

Actually, it was '89 in Saratoga. The owner of the company I worked for was a Patron of SPAC and gave me premium tickets to everything he knew I wanted to see.

StevesBoogie

Tele-Afflicted
I was also at the Lake Compounce show! There are pictures from this show in a SRV book I have. Lonnie Mack was hanging out back stage with SRV after his set. I wish he could’ve sat in for a song.
Way cool! Hey, get this ... my buddy Larry and I call Lake Compounce (this was obviously pre-internet) and was told SRV was the headliner and Joe Cocker was opening. We're like .... COOL, time for beers, we'll catch half of Joe Cocker and obviously watch SRV in its entirety. NOPE. Dang girl on the phone was wrong. SRV was opening. We only caught half an hour of SRV!! But if I remember correctly Stevie joined Joe for an encore. Joe was impressive too, I think he had about 15 backup singers with him, and plenty of horns. That summer I saw Cheap Trick at LC as well. It was a great little venue but getting out of there was a nightmare.

Oh, I was supposed to see Lynyrd Skynyrd there that summer but it was a torrential rain and it was cancelled. LOL I got a trip down memory lane going this morning.

Slip Kid

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
Way cool! Hey, get this ... my buddy Larry and I call Lake Compounce (this was obviously pre-internet) and was told SRV was the headliner and Joe Cocker was opening. We're like .... COOL, time for beers, we'll catch half of Joe Cocker and obviously watch SRV in its entirety. NOPE. Dang girl on the phone was wrong. SRV was opening. We only caught half an hour of SRV!! But if I remember correctly Stevie joined Joe for an encore. Joe was impressive too, I think he had about 15 backup singers with him, and plenty of horns. That summer I saw Cheap Trick at LC as well. It was a great little venue but getting out of there was a nightmare.

Oh, I was supposed to see Lynyrd Skynyrd there that summer but it was a torrential rain and it was cancelled. LOL I got a trip down memory lane going this morning.
I didn’t want to stay for Joe Cocker but the slightly older relatives at the show with me wanted to see him. I’m glad I stayed as he was excellent. And yes, Stevie sat in with him, wearing a purple tie dye Hendrix t-shirt (how’s that for memory lane)! I saw a bunch of shows there between ‘88 & ‘90, including SRV’s previous 2 performances there. In fact my friends and I caught his sound check in ‘88 because we went to the park early in the day to hang out. Fun times, and to stay on topic, am grateful he was sober for all those shows as they are fond memories now.
D80F96CF-799A-4AE1-A319-A189C675DE45.jpeg

tele_pathic

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
Oh man what a question to answer.

I think the answer comes by comparing two videos: Live at El Macambo vs. Austin City Limits.
1. Both are incredible performances, no doubt. I prefer El Macambo for song choice and playing style and tone. I really dislike that "dumble" tone.
2. SRV, and I didn't know him I'm just going on visual appearance, looked much happier in ACL video and zonked out of his mind on Macambo.