SRV shuffle

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Bluetelecaster, Sep 15, 2019.

1. Bluetelecaster

Bluetelecaster Tele-Meister

Why!? is this sooo hard to get down!? Seems simple but yet I still crap it up!

2. Just-Jim

Just-Jim Tele-Afflicted

I gave up trying years ago. On rare occasion I still give it a shot. I just feel I am not coordinated enough or rhythmically challenged in this sense. When I hear it, it sounds natural or second nature for SRV, but for me it's a train wreck. I hit the strings too hard or miss them all together.

Bluetelecaster likes this.
  3. Bluetelecaster

We must be on the same train brother!

Crowcaster likes this.
  4. 2 Headed Goat

2 Headed Goat Tele-Afflicted

Practise it slow and make your strumming in wide circles - in E hit the low strings (E & A) with your picking/strumming hand going towards the neck pickup on the downstroke and then come around on the up stroke and hit the high strings muted with your strum coming up and towards the bride and bride pickup. Make the circle nice and round - this ensures your timing will be bang on... Perhaps an easier description - superimpose the face of the clock on to the pick guard of your guitar - with 3 o clock at the end of the neck and 9 o clock at the bridge... swing your strum down from 12 o clock toward 3 o clock then around to 6 coming up on the upstroke at 9 then back to to 12 o clock. Practise it just fretting an open E power chord or an E7 down at the nut. As you get more comfortable and in time with the shuffle swing the circle strum will take on a more elliptical shape... tho when first having a go with it start with a round circular motion til you get the hang of it. Stevie basically did this as can be seen in several vids....

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
  5. Bluetelecaster

Thanks I appreciate the help!

6. 2 Headed Goat

Sure thing man, I struggled with it until I suss'd out the circle bit. I might add, start with just the E7 chord and then in time add on the 4th (A6) and 5th (B7). Once you get the hang of the strum with the basic 1,4,5 chords then move on to the doing it with the hitting the single bass notes on the 2nd 3rd and 4th frets... from there you'll pretty much have it. Cheers!

7. Kebmel

Kebmel Tele-Afflicted

I struggle with it also, due to small hands

8. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

Yeah I’ve worked a bit on this too... Stevie makes it sound so good and look so easy, but it’s one of the most deceptively difficult things to get right (which I hope to get at some point). Cold Shot lured me in... one of these days I’ll get it!

2 Headed Goat and Bluetelecaster like this.
  9. Fretting out

Fretting out Tele-Holic

I don’t try to play exactly like Stevie but have a similar Sound I use ,I’d recommend like others to start slow and focus on the low strings with 2 or 3 notes not trying to even make music but just to get the rhythm down

10. richiek65

richiek65 Friend of Leo's

[/QUOTE]

Stevie playing a Musicman amp!

2 Headed Goat likes this.
  11. fasteddie42

fasteddie42 Tele-Holic

Go slow.

One thing that makes that sound so distinctive is the attack. I looks pretty off the cuff, but SRV's attack is really firm and precise.

MickM and 2 Headed Goat like this.
  12. jimilee

jimilee Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

While lot of Texas rake goin on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. 2 Headed Goat

Stevie playing a Musicman amp![/QUOTE]

Nice - Good eye mate!

richiek65 likes this.
  14. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

Yes, "rake" is a good term. It's that upstroke sweep, quick down thang, almost circular pick sweep... I been shuffling for decades so don't find it (mostly) too difficult, certainly not SRV at it though!

15. MickM

MickM Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

This guy was a GIT instructor for 30 years. This link is only 6 minutes of a 1 hour DVD called Rockin the Blues. You might be able to find it on Guitar World site if you search for Keith Wyatt.

2 Headed Goat and Bluetelecaster like this.
  16. Northern Tele

Northern Tele Tele-Meister

The thing about the Stevie shuffle is that in a band context you need a good rhythm section for it to work. One of those things that's a lot harder than it appears.

2 Headed Goat and nojazzhere like this.
  17. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's

You need Chris Layton. Seriously, SRV had a great rhythm section. I'm perpetually amazed by how few drummers can swing a shuffle. It's excruciatingly panful to play in a band where somebody calls a shuffle and the drummer can't manage a swing feel.

SRV is playing straight against the swung triplet. It sounds like ass without a good drummer

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
  18. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

The long-short (down-up) rhythm of a dotted 8th followed by a 16th, is here played as a double-dotted 8th and 32nd. You wait a little longer than normal, then hit the upstroke as late as possible. This will drive into the next beat, in a way. I think of it as a physical thing. It's a very laid back, almost indolent kind of attitude. Cig hanging from the lip, good deep tissue neck massage before the gig, and loosening your belt all help. If you've got cowboy boots, you play the upbeat rocked back on your heels, then relax and let them slam down on the floor on the downbeat. If you're wearing shoes with laces, loosen them up a little, or just untie them.

It goes without saying that you can't play this properly while a virgin.

2 Headed Goat, RLee77, MickM and 2 others like this.
  19. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

Northern Tele and maxvintage hit the nail on the head.....it's the drummer stupid! ;)
    Can't explain it....as much as I may struggle with a LOT of things, the "Stevie-shuffle" kinda comes naturally, but I've played with several good drummers who just couldn't "get it". Are you unconsciously fighting a drummer or bass player that prevents you from playing it right? Good luck.

20. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

It's all in the boots and hat.
    Get them right and the rest will fall into place.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.