SRV on strings--1990 interview

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by eichaan, Feb 26, 2020.

1. mikestearns

mikestearns Tele-Meister

When I was a kid I read that, so I bought those super heavy Blue Steel strings and put them on my Mexican strat, not realizing you need to have it set up for that. It pulled the bridge up like crazy. I couldn't figure out whey I kept breaking strings....

2. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire

When Stevie died, I put 12s on and played that way for about a year. It really hurt and the guys in my band yelled at me a lot, but it was my tribute. Now it's slinky 10s.

I've always believed that Billy Gibbons was BS-ing everyone with that talk of 7s. I'll bet he uses 9s or 10s, like everyone else.

3. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

I use an 11 gauge high E set on my Tele because it's the closest gauge to the 12-13's on my acoustics.

I guess I like my acoustic and my electric to feel similar.

I'm not a flashy player.

Carry on.

4. Rich_S

Rich_S Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Just yesterday, I wimped out and bought a set of Ernie Ball 9-42 for my Tele, after 40 years of playing 10s. I haven't played much at all the last six months, and then I stupidly whipped off "Message In A Bottle" a few weeks ago without warming up. Those blasted sus2 stretched something my pinky that's been causing me pain since. So now I'm taking it easy, playing some simple exercises every day and NO Police songs and figured dropping down to 9s couldn't hurt. Also, Rick Beato sez it's okay.

Maybe when I get back in shape, I'll switch back to 10s. Or maybe (now that I'm 60) I deserve the lighter strings. When I hit 80, I'll switch to 8s.

5. FredDairy

FredDairy Friend of Leo's

When I first started SRV was a huge influence and I did heavy strings tuned down.
    I grew, evolved, and discovered my tone know has more effect than string gauge.

6. Ian T

Ian T Tele-Holic

Beato’s channel is huge and I enjoy many of his videos.

His playing is not my cup of tea. Flashy and complex, impressive to many at face value. 8’s work good for that. Lots of hammerons and pulloffs, compressed and higher gain. Doesn’t move me but hey, to each their own.

The string gauge changes the way I play. I prefer heavier strings because I end up playing simpler and with more intention. When I play light setups, I play more notes which is usually not a good thing.

I was one of those kids that put 12’s on in the early 90’s inspired by SRV. Later 13’s for many years. It helped me develop strong hands and solid mechanics. I never have hand pain, knock on wood. Now, usually 11’s though I occasionally wonder if it’d better to go up.

It is a different approach to the instrument. Hardly anybody plays shred guitar on 13’s. Hardly anybody plays bebop on 8’s.

I am strong enough to play a strat w 13’s or 8’s. What comes out is totally different.

The string gauge changes the approach more than the tone; that seems to be what Stevie was saying here, and I agree.

OP thank you for sharing the very cool article.

One more thing that guides my decisions is atrophy. Play 8’s and soon I’d be too weak to comfortably play anything heavier, acoustic and archtop chops suffer; not where I want to be.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
    mexicanyella likes this.
  7. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

I read a biography about him a dozen years ago, which stated thy towards the end of his life he started having pain & inflammation in his neck and hands that was treated by steroid injections—which partially explains his face/jowls being fuller in later pics of him (the other factors being age—he hit his 30’s—and getting clean & sober—which generally makes you gain a little weight).

Undoubtedly, this would have eventually become an issue at some point...to what extent, we’ll never know. :(

thunderbyrd likes this.
  8. RoCkstAr256

RoCkstAr256 Friend of Leo's

I feel like 11-52 is limti for E standard for Les paul and Tele/Strat type Guitars, Just like 12-58 for D standard or 13-64 for C Standard

9. Shuster

Shuster Poster Extraordinaire

String with 9's,,, Date 10's,,, and play Amps that go to 11:);)

Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
  10. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Buck Owens when he was doing his own guitar playing used to tune down to E so did Bob Seger.

11. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    I must have seen Ian 250 times over the years. I saw him at the Steamboat in Austin... at the Continental Club... at Junaita's in Little Rock... saw him open for Bryan Adams and the Rolling Stones at the Cotton Bowl. I caught him here in Nashville about a year ago... small room, about 75 people. He actually started taking requests (of his own songs).

Ian has been as big of an influence on me as Stevie, Jimmie, Billy, and EJ.

He befriended a group of my friends in the mid-90s, and was even planning to play a song at a wedding of some friends, but had to cancel.

He's a singer/songwriter/guitar slinger with great conviction... screw what the record execs what him to do.

Fiesta Red likes this.
  12. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

I was at the Stones/Adams/Moore show at the Cotton Bowl as well...did you see me there? :p

I saw Ian Moore open up for Eric Johnson at the Bronco Bowl (Lord, I miss that place!). We didn’t know who he was, but toward the end of his set, I was thinking, “Forget Eric Johnson—I want to see more of this!” That killer Strat with the Tele (Esquire?) neck flicked my Bic—it was so cool-looking and sounded so good!

(Of course, EJ came out and performed brilliantly, and I felt foolish for casting him aside...I’ve forgiven myself, hopefully Mr. Johnson has as well).

But that was the beginning of me loving Ian Moore’s playing...loved his solo stuff...loved it when he joined Joe Ely’s band (around the same time Reese Wynans did!)—we went down and saw Joe at Antone’s during his 1991 “Tour of Austin”...that’s one of the few concert shirts I don’t allow my daughter to steal.

I don’t know the rest of the story of how Ian kinda fell off the “Major Label” map—I heard different things, but overall I hope he’s happy, personally and artistically.

If you know more of the back story, please share it here or DM me.

13. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Interesting that in the "string gauge thread nr. 15.789" we are still falling for the same internet BS.

Play what YOU like.

If you know HOW and WHAT to play it really doesn't matter what gauge of strings you use.

grooveiron likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.