Squirrels in my feeders/gardens!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by scrimmer, May 2, 2019.

1. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I was explicitly granted dominion over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the heavens and over the livestock and over all the earth and over every creeping thing, durn it!

scrimmer and rickthescot like this.
  2. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    Use your powers as an Overlord wisely. ;)

3. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

Our local bird store had this on display recently...

20181013_165014.jpg

tintag27, Skamania, Rowdyman and 5 others like this.
  4. magicfingers99

magicfingers99 Friend of Leo's

yes relocate them to the bottom of lake in a sack....

5. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Two words: pigeon army! :twisted:

6. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

dang..i was actually mellowing out today a lil for once....

7. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    Better than Flying Monkeys I suppose

Skamania likes this.
  8. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

Somebody shot my dog with a pellet gun, and he deserved it. He didn't hang out around that house again. Sometimes you have to take responsibility for your own dogs, so that the neighbors don't have to.

sardinista likes this.
  9. magicfingers99

magicfingers99 Friend of Leo's

thats the biggest squirrel I ever saw!!! I didn't realize they grew horns in the spring...

24 track likes this.
  10. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Friend of Leo's

I'm a birder with several feeders of different types..fortunately There are no squirrels in my yard..Lived here 4 years now and haven't seen a one..But there are night critters that will knock a feeder down and tear it apart..I solved that by twisting a wire where it's hooked up..Even if they get to the feeder they can't hang on well enough to do any damage..
    But CATS now..There's a whole different problem..The birds won't come around as long as there's a cat in the yard..
    The cats are smart..When I catch one in the critter trap, I give it a good cold water shower..He's very happy when I release him..
    I've also bounced a few bbs of their rumps..
    Now when I open the door, any one that's in the yard digs a ditch getting to somewhere else..
    Please don't diss me for that. I'm a cat lover..Just want them to kill birds somewhere else..

11. ElJay370

ElJay370 Tele-Holic

Punishing an animal for instinctual behavior is sadistic and cruel.

A squirrel's only concern is survival. You're placing food in HIS domain that you'd prefer other animals to eat instead of him. That's not the squirrel's problem, it's yours.

To a dog, the world is his toilet. He doesn't know any better. It's his owner's responsibility to make sure he doesn't poop where he's not supposed to. Unless you fear for your safety, any issue with someone's dog needs to be taken up with it's owner. If that fails, that's what your local animal control is for. The concepts of "trespassing" and "private property" do not exist to a dog. Shooting him with a BB gun because of that is pointless....and just plain mean.

Last edited: May 2, 2019
    Piggy Stu, Rowdyman, 24 track and 2 others like this.
  12. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Better than flying cows, imagine the droppings

13. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I suppose I’m an odd duck, but squirrels on, in, and around my feeders does not concern me in the least.
    I guess I’m just an old field hippie, but I love them, too.
    Thanks for listening.

14. WhatDoIKnow

WhatDoIKnow Tele-Meister

Rent-A-Raptor(tm)

15. dkmw

dkmw Friend of Leo's

I hunted squirrels as a kid. So I ate a few fried ones.

Around my neighborhood, they can be quite the nuisance. Many consider them rats with cute little fuzzy tails. They will nest in your attic, they even ate parts of the electrical system in one of my neighbor's cars.

We just got through with a little problem. They were getting in under our roof; which would have probably led to a nest. Placed Hav-a-Heart live traps and caught one of the offenders. My ninja kitty killed two more - it was hilarious watching her stake out on the roof and wait for her prey to stick their heads out of the gaps between roof tiles.

The pest removal guy we hired said he wanted to hire my cat:)

I am a conservationist. But we have an overpopulation of squirrels because people are feeding them and they have no almost no natural predators around. I'm not above thinning the herd a bit; provided they are in a nuisance situation.

Piggy Stu, Bellacaster and nvilletele like this.
  16. sardinista

sardinista TDPRI Member

It’s not pointless. It worked. He doesn’t use my yard as a toilet anymore.

You can call me mean, if you like, but I did my due diligence in finding other solutions... and frankly, I don’t care.

17. Bergy

Bergy Tele-Holic

We've given up on trying to keep em out of the bird feeder, although I've never used those weight sensitive ones. May hafta try that out. We've tried the squirrel baffles and some of the other supposed squirrel-proof feeders. None of em worked.

The acrobatics of a squirrel on a bird feeder are pretty interesting to watch, though. They pull off some impressive feats of dexterity. We've had some of em trying to chew through those big ol plastic trash bins. They will chew right through the darn things leaving little rubbermaid chips everywhere.

We just noticed that a pair of Cooper's Hawks took up a nest right across the street, but from what I've read I don't think they go after squirrels as a first option. There are tons of doves and pigeons around here, I imagine they are way easier for Cooper's Hawk to take.

I'm not sure I wanna mess with those furry little hellions either. Especially those ones that enjoy eating plastic garbage bin lids. I imagine those to be even more vicious and I am not entirely sure they don't hold grudges...

When there aren't squirrels on the bird feeders, we tend to get an okay mix of birds around here. House Finches, Goldfinches, House Sparrows, Robins, Starlings, Doves, Red Shafted Flickers, Hairy Woodpecker, Black Capped Chickadees, Juncos, Common Grackles and a few Broadtailed hummingbirds. Blue Jays have made a recovery after disease killed most of them out here a few years ago. See them quite often these days. Every once in a while we'll catch a glimpse of a Scrub Jay as well. The Swainson's Hawks have been passing through the area again lately, too. We had the Hitchcockian experience of waking up to the sounds of a flock of 80 Common Grackles on our feeder a while back.

18. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

I have my BB Gun from my teens, Crossman 760 and it's dead accurate. I used to go Squirrel hunting when I was a teen, but tired of it. The only airtime I get is for the occasional Coyote, moles, rats/mice, snakes and the hind parts of my neighbors cats.
    You can't get rid of the Squirrels if you have available food in your feeders. I don't shoot at them, I watch the dogs chase them for a giggle.

19. DuckDodgers

DuckDodgers Tele-Meister

I have a big green squirrel proof feeder and a metal cone on the post supporting it. I did have a problem with rats, as some neighbors apparently have open compost piles. The rats were brazen, showing up in broad daylight. I dispatched the first three with my trust Theoben Sirocco and Air Arms TX200, but they quickly smartened up and started coming out at night. I actually bought an IR scope, affixed it to my PCP Gun, and went nighttime rat hunting.

Piggy Stu likes this.
  20. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire

Being infirm of sight (and of mind) I misread your title as "Squirrels in my fenders/gibsons."

Skamania likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.