Squirrel Catapult Help,,,

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Shuster, Mar 23, 2020.

1. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Friend of Leo's

Glad you got suckered into responding. You are always the peacemaker in a conversation. That's a good addition to the thread.

2. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Friend of Leo's

Exactly! We love big juicy steaks as a way of rationalizing the indefensable actions that brought the beef to our table. It makes perfect sense now! Your thinly understood pop psychology pulled it all together for me. All this time I just thought steak was delicious. Ha. Now what was it Telemonics was saying about forcing values on others. That seemed a tad adroit as well, I mean, as far as problematic thinking goes, eh?

Shuster likes this.
  3. CCK1

CCK1 Tele-Meister

I agree @MarkieMark. And since the admins have not yet seen fit to lock this thread, my input is that if you're having problems with destructive or annoying squirrels, it is often due to the squirrel suffering from an acute, or ongoing, lead deficiency. In most cases, the liberal application of .22 LR will resolve the problem. Repeat as needed.

Shuster likes this.
  4. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

Ah, what?!

If your reason for eating steak is because you like the taste of it and that's what you publicly declare then that's beautifully honest...no b.s. I applaud you even if I didn't agree with eating steak. If you were to say you eat steak because cows fart and destroy the ozone and you're selflessly helping mankind with your carnivorous inclinations than that would be stellar b.s...rationalizing and displaying a deep sort of dishonesty. You do see the difference, no? And there's been a lot of that sort of b.s going on in this thread.

Also you're blurring distinctions that are important to keep clear. Killing to feed yourself and your family is one thing. Using wildlife for personal amusement by building contraptions that hurl them through the air and then attempting to validate and legitimize that behaviour by declaring the animal a pest and you're doing it for a higher good (domestic safety for heaven's sake!!) is another thing entirely. That's just dishonest. Simply declare you enjoy using certain animals that you declare to be pests based on criteria you have decided suits your needs and that's what gives you enjoyment. That would be an honest statement.

RomanS likes this.
  5. Danjabellza

Danjabellza Friend of Leo's

Hahaha while that is one of my best forms of learning, no... I was reading some really heated and fairly hostile comments and the thread was still open. Apparently it still is... so that’s good... I’ve always wanted to try squirrel. The ground squirrels we have locally here are more like chipmunks...

Shuster likes this.
  6. ArcticWhite

ArcticWhite Tele-Holic

When I was a kid my dad shot six of them (. 22 rifle, Georgia) and brought them home for dinner.
    He dug the bullets out that didn't leave on their own, and mom breaded and fried em.
    Apparently, everyone hated them but me, and I ate five.
    I have no recollection of this, only family lore. I was only six years old.

When I was ten, I shot one with my Daisy 880 and watched through the scope I'd sighted it with as it convulsed to death . I felt bad immediately, and still do as I'd no plans to eat it.

Here's the thing about squirrel launching. Every type of thing has a terminal velocity though air. Terminal velocity is the fastest speed any object can attain in free fall, in an air filled environment.

A squirrel has a rather low terminal velocity due to its fur, low mass, and it's tendency to spread out and flail when in flight. Chances are good a fling doesn't harm the little guys. Watch the videos. They are not going very fast.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2020 at 11:07 AM
    Shuster and Danjabellza like this.
  7. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

can hardly wait for the door to door salesmen catapult and the Halloween trick or treat catapult videos to show up on the catapulting things that annoy me channel...:D

Shuster likes this.
  8. Fretting out

Fretting out Friend of Leo's

Do they have little squirrel parachutes or is this the lethal type of launcher?
    If so might as well get some of those rat terriers from the UK we saw on here not to long ago putting a good dent in the rodent population (if you didn’t see the video it was a guy with a pitchfork digging into a muddy field with hundreds of rats coming out to the waiting dogs)
    It was kind of gruesome but those dogs were doing what they were bred for

Last edited: Mar 24, 2020 at 1:06 PM
    Shuster likes this.
  9. trev333

what if they start turning up with Walnut shells for helmets, little vests with numbers on them... and with the local distance record on their minds?...o_O

10. Jackroadkill

Jackroadkill Tele-Meister

When I was a kid in school some boys cornered a squirrel and goaded it. The sight of it hanging by it's teeth from one boy's lip as he screamed blue murder will stay with me forever.

Squirrels are as hard as nails and have more fight in them than the average human has. If they need controlling, shoot them or trap them. If they don't leave them the hell alone, unless you want a lipful of angry (possibly rabid) rodent.

Fretting out and Shuster like this.
  11. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

Squirrels don’t carry rabies.

12. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

No opinion as to whether catapults are animal cruelty (I’ve seen squirrels do similar tricks, unaided by mechanical means, but that’s neither here nor there)...and I’ve eaten squirrel before (it wasn’t bad, but it’s not going to become a regular part of my diet).

I use a low-powered BB gun to express my displeasure at their presence in and around my barn. It doesn’t kill them, but it lets them know they’re not welcome. Thumper the Useless Terrier was backup when he was younger, but has recently been unable to help.

However, I’ve noticed that there’s a little more vitriol on this website than previously—and not just on this subject. People get so passionate that they can’t politely disagree. I know we’re all under pressure and anxious, but please don’t screw up one of the best corners of the internet.

You can disagree all day long (that’s never been an issue) but c’mon, let’s be nice about it. If the subject triggers you that much, be an adult and block the thread or the person that bothers you.

13. MarkieMark

MarkieMark Tele-Holic

I'll put out a sign up list.
    After all, they can fly airplanes and waterski.
    Squirrel olympics!

Shuster and trev333 like this.
  14. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire

We have Flying Squirrels here … they would just love to get blasted high into the sky .

[​IMG]

telemnemonics and Shuster like this.
  15. trev333

Just going for take out, dear... be back real soon... :)

unixfish, Shuster and tery like this.
  16. Jackroadkill

Jackroadkill Tele-Meister

They can here.

17. DrPepper

DrPepper Friend of Leo's

A gun would be more humane IMHO...

Shuster likes this.
  18. LeftFinger

LeftFinger Friend of Leo's

Have you considered air pressure and good old 2" pvc

Shuster and JuneauMike like this.
  19. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

It is very, very rare for a squirrel to carry rabies. Them passing it on to a human is even more rare. Like practically non-existent .

Look it up. Everything you find will reflect the above.

Someone in here stated “they’re just squirrels - what’s the big deal if we have a little fun torturing them ? They’re just squirrels”

Most of us have animals we’re not particularly in love with - “C’mon - they’re just (fill in the blank)” - but you don’t see me building Burmese tiger pits around my neighborhood to catch pit bulls do ya ? o_O

telemnemonics and Shuster like this.
  20. ArcticWhite

ArcticWhite Tele-Holic

I'd have paid good money to launch a former neighbor's pomeranian.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.