1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Squire vs Fender

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by cochranmusic, Jul 7, 2010.

1. stantheman

stantheman Doctor of Teleocity

I dunno Jake. I've had 11's on mine now since I got Her used and because I'm not working I've been averaging 3-4 hours a day on these nice days out in the barn - anyways so far so good. The Rosewood Board on The Squier Standard is in a word "somethin' else". I sincerely hope You get a chance to play one that has the real set-up, and I'll promise to take another gander at an American Standard Tele with a Rosewood Board too.

2. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

A setup can make all the difference in the world as we all know. My experience- Go to GC (or any other big music store) and play Squiers, MIMs, and MIAs. Off the wall, all with factory setups with light gauge strings, there really isn't a lot of difference in the feel of them. I know where people get the impression that they are paying more for a label. because truthfully, off the wall in the store with stock setups, I play 'em all, and they are all pretty much the same dang thing. It can be very easy to think there is no real difference.

However, the differences become ridiculously apparent when I take them home and give them "my" setup. I haven't found anything in the Fender line that is not MIA that will handle my setup. Not one guitar out of 50-60. The MIM std. and affiliated (roadhouse, etc) are some of the worst. Most of the time I can get a Squier std. to set up better. But anytime I take one of these home, thinking I found a really "good one", I end up disappointed. I throw elevens on it, and try like crazy to get it to work, but I can't without a fret level and nut work. If I go to that trouble, I end up with a guitar that is constantly nickel and diming me with some stupid little part breaking. The exception there is MIM std.- since they upgraded to the same pots and switches as MIA a few years back, I have not had anything go bad in one, nor have I heard of anybody else having trouble. The squier thing though, ugh. I wish I could get a work worthy instrument that cheaply. But by the time I put all of the money into it needs to make me happy, I just feel like an idiot. It would make more sense to buy a used MIA that needs nothing.

I have a very close friend, another working player, who gigs an old 90's Squier strat. He swears by Squiers. He's also quick to tell people that you have to mod them to get what he gets out of his. He spent over $650 putting this thing in order. When I asked him why he didn't just buy a good MIA strat to begin with, his answer was "I can't afford one". Huh?:confused: Now he's been gigging it for ten years, and it's more than paid for itself. But still, was it worth it? It wouldn't to me. That's all I'm saying.

if a player is happy with a Squier or an Epi, and it helps them get their music out in a way that is satisfying to them, that's fantastic. I applaud them. But if they are only playing one to save money, and truly think "there is no difference", I am going to walk away shaking my head every time.

3. supernewt

supernewt Tele-Meister

I think Jake has a point, even though I have two Squiers.

I grabbed a classic vibe strat and haven't felt compelled to replace/upgrade anything on it whatsoever - so that's a $300 strat - but I'm sure the pots aren't what you'd find on an American Standard by any means and will fail eventually. The pickguard is pretty cheesy too.

I also have a Squier Tele Custom, because it's a cool guitar nobody else makes - standard Tele headstock and standard-sized dual humbuckers that you can swap out easily. On that one, I replaced all the electronics, including the flimsy pots and upgraded the pickups to PAFs. It still has an ill-cut PVC nut and questionable tuners. I love it, but after accounting for the costs of the upgrades, I can't say it was a real value.

I also have an SX strat with p-90s, again because of it's uniqueness. That one was flat unplayable without new tuners and will also have questionable pots if opened up.

All that said, the asian guitars can be an awful lot of fun, with some unique designs and that "low stress" factor mentioned before.

4. Jimmy Dean

Jimmy Dean Friend of Leo's

I have a Squier '51 that I paid $157 new. I have replaced every piece of hardware & electronics except the neck plate. I even replaced the nut with an Earvana compensating nut. I did all the work myself so no labor charges were involved. I spent about $250, so I have a total of just over $400 invested. I had no trouble setting up the neck & bridge. The frets are a little rough on the ends, but I don't notice it. I use 10's on it. I don't play on gigs right now, but I do play 2 to 3 hours a day & it stays in tune very well.

I am almost positive that if I bought a Fender in the $400 to $700 range, that I would be replacing the nut, tuners, pickups & bridge within the first year. I am very happy with my cheap guitar.

5. peaveycaster

peaveycaster Tele-Meister

A while back, I was shopping for a tele. I must have played every one in Austin. One day, while getting frustrated yet again by the tele I was trying out, my wife walked up with a guitar and said, "Try this one". I started playing it and shafts of sunlight struck my body, cherubs flitted about my head, and the planets all aligned in a cosmic hallelujah chorus. The guitar played like a dream, and I still have it to this day. What was it, you ask?

$140 Peavey Reactor tele-clone

Go figure!

6. Paulbiz

Paulbiz TDPRI Member

I have a Squier and a USA Strat...theres a huge difference. With the USA you get great electronics, a fantastic neck, quality hardware, etc. With the Squier you get a great value...for the money. You also get a great platform for mods and projects. Everything is relative. A buddy of mine loves his epiphones so much he sometimes says things like "These Epis are actually better than Gibsons!" ...of course hes never played a real Gibson Les Paul except for maybe an out of tune-poorly set up Studio model at Guitar Center. Personally I rather have one or two great guitars than 6 cheap ones. To each his own!

7. slickschoppers

slickschoppers Tele-Holic

we have a local band that there lead player uses a bone stock cv50 that he setup. bought over two years ago.. not one part has broken chipped, dented, or otherwise caused problems... it doen't go out of tune constantly.... he's been giggin for over two years with a bone stock cv50 with his own setup....

It's all in what you like, I am in the same pallpark as he is.. I have no issues with any of the hardware on ANY of the squier cv tele's... they just play great right out of the box. and honestly some of the best fretwork of any of the off the wall guitars I've tried....

just a little tweak here or there to suit your taste and your ready to roll.....

8. Squier Buyer

Squier Buyer Tele-Meister

<---<---< :eek:

9. cobrat

cobrat Tele-Holic

I saw a few NYC area bands who made it a point to play Squier Strats....and I'm not talking the CV series. They seemed to be Squier Affinities or Standards and it wasn't as if they were strapped for cash....the same guitarist in both bands also had Gibson SGs/Les Paul for certain parts of the song. Talked to one of them who said he left everything stock except the tuners and that he felt the stock pickups provided some of the sounds he and the band were looking for.

10. Squier Buyer

Squier Buyer Tele-Meister

They were good enough for the late great Jeff Healey, who, as the story goes, picked his Squier Strat over a number of Fenders without being told which was which. Best testimonial I've ever seen for Squiers.

11. supernewt

supernewt Tele-Meister

I think when you pay $200 for a guitar, you have such reasonable expectations that you're bound to be satisfied, even if you have to fix a short or something at some point.

On the other hand, if I pay $1200 for an American Standard, I expect it to be as if it was made by the Elves in Rivendell, and that's just not going to happen the way they're cranking out guitars these days.

12. jimbojo

jimbojo Tele-Meister

That is a greast testamony, tone isn't in the label, headstock shape, or color, every guitar is different, and so is every player, all have individual preferences but ultimately we are all looking for that tone that hits us. I have recently been picking up some Squiers, and I agree some are cheaply made but I did find an Indonesian Standard Strat with a maple neck that is just a sweet playin axe, I paid $100, I also have an Indonesian Standard Tele comin, I am hoping it is equally well made but if it isn't I can mod it or sell it either way I am not out much. I also picked up an affinity that was totally abused, I cleaned it up swapped the bridge pup and shielded it, man this thing sings now. I have no problem with the MIM's or MIA's, they are quality instraments, but I believe if I got one I would probably change a few things as well.

13. Mad-Mike

Mad-Mike TDPRI Member

Not a more fitting place to tell the story of getting my Squier Affinity Telecaster Special Edition (the blackguard butterscotch model). This pretty much tells how I go about deciding weather or not a Squier or a Fender is better - because I played a bunch of them.

When I went into the store that day, I actually had my thoughts set on a Squier Jagmaster. But the one they had had sold, so I went looking at the rack and this new butterscotch blonde version of the Affinity Telecaster caught my eye, I plugged it into a Fender G-Dec and played it for about 30 minutes and found that I liked everything about it, it was perfectly set up right out of the box, it sounded good, and was low and fast...

About 2 minutes later, the clerk, hoping to get more money from me, pulled down a few of the more Expensive Fender telecasters on the wall, and that little blonde Squier blew them away, the Fenders sounded great, but one had too fat a neck, one was too thin sounding, one was horribly setup (easy fix I know, but like frick I'm paying $1,400 for a guitar that's not set up right), I even tried other Affnities in the store and found that little blackguard $184.00 Tele was "the one", so I bought it right then and there.

I tend to run into a lot of cheap guitars that way. Some are great, some exhibit a potential to be something greater than they are. I bought a Squier Affinity Strat for $80.00 4 years ago, stripped of it's strings, pickup covers, and knobs, used it for parts, even had it's neck on my Jazzmaster for awhile, and now it's put back together and it's one of the best Strats I've ever owned, though I'm still making a few changes to it.

Some guitars it's like joining a club when you buy them, that it's more about the name on the peghead or the price than the music being played on them. I see brands all over out there, and any other brand with an over $1,000 price tag that way, but I'm not into guitars to join some sort of exclusive club - I play guitar for one reason - to play a guitar, regardless of what the label on the headstock is. That's one reason I laugh at a $25,000.00 relic job, for that price - I'd rather make a down-payment on a house so I can actually build more guitars without worrying about pissing my Landlord off.

14. supersonicman

supersonicman TDPRI Member

My Squier Bullet Strat only had two modifications:I removed the Pickup Covers, and I inverted the Output jack holder. I loved that thing, and it was one of the ****ty first series ones that didn't have a proper truss rod nut. I was glad that it was the (Second)First guitar I had. It gave me a much better view on guitars.

15. wedg14

wedg14 TDPRI Member

I have an old Fender/Squier catalogue from around 2004. They had stuff like les paul like guitars,X-155, the star fire some really cool stuff that fender to my knowledge doesn't really make anymore.

Looking at there line up now tho I see a bunch of strats a bunch of teles a cyclone and a jagmaster. When i first started playing guitars I was interested in squiers because they had different models that fender didn't offer. Now they pretty much have the same lineup. Sure the quality control and parts might be different. But a strat is a strat to me, and a tele is a tele. I really enjoyed when squier was a little more 'creative' with their guitars.

16. supersonicman

supersonicman TDPRI Member

Hey Wedg, are they still offering the Cyclone in Canada, because it's not available in the US anymore, I did see that they were offered in Japan. But I think that if you look at the Squier Duo-Sonic, along with the rest of the CV line, I'm sure you will find a better variety than fender, I mean, I don't see a single fender strat with a gold guard.

17. wedg14

wedg14 TDPRI Member

Yeah I guess thats what i was trying to say, Squier does still offer a good variety. And i think it's great that we have so many choices. I just liked their older more different designs.

I have a red one of these.
    http://de.woodbrass.com/images/woodbrass/F034-0100-506.JPG
    Its a great guitar and it's a shame they don't make them like that anymore.

And i tottally flubbed when i said cyclone I actually meant the Duo-sonic. Sorry 'bout that.

18. kingfish

kingfish Tele-Holic

Gotta split the difference, I guess.

I have a Squier Affinity BSB. The bottom of the Squier line, I'm told.
    And...
    I have an American Standard Telecaster Natural. What Fender considers the flagship model.

I love them both - almost equally.

The American Standard is refined and smooth. Great hardware and fit and finish. I can get almost any sound out of it I want. It's very civilized.

The Squier is rough, ready, and rude. The American Standard can't find the raw spots this one can. Must be those 'horrible' cheap pickups, pots, and switches, I guess.

Never in a million years will I sell that Squier. I don't think I could ever find that 'zone' with any other guitar.

I understand the CV is also 'unrefined'. The one I played at GC was nice, but it's really hard to tell, in that setting, what a guitar is really like.

Squier vs Fender? Each individual instrument stands on it's own merits in MHO.

19. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

The Classic Vibe Squiers are great.

Wanna see my home recording bass?

[​IMG]

20. Janitor Julius

Janitor Julius Tele-Holic

I pretty much gave up on Squier when I pulled one off the wall at Best Buy to find that it had a broken plastic pickup selector switch... the actual mechanism was plastic... and all stripped out. I know the cheaper guitars can be made great. My MIM sounds as good as any MIA I've heard after an $800 investment for sentimental reasons.

Going with Squier is actually sort of doing more harm than good. When we buy Squier stuff cause of the price break, and then rush off to GFS, or Callaham, or Fralin, or wherever for parts, all FMIC sees is a Squier sale. Although that expands the markets for high quality "upgrade" parts, it indicates to Fender that the consumer is satisfied with the quality of their low end instruments, which can then continue to degrade while the increased demand on that level of quality drives all of their products' prices up. It can't just be the weakening of the dollar that has Squiers selling for what MIMs selling for what MIAs selling for what Deluxes used to go for.

As long as we give Fender no incentive to improve the quality of their standard hardware, then we will be forced to mod their guitars to get the sound we want. Fender has no qualms about taking a quick nickel over a slow dime any day of the week.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.