Squire Upgrade Questions

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by cnunn30, Aug 10, 2009.

1. cnunn30

cnunn30 TDPRI Member

Hello Folks,

Has anyone out there done any modifications or upgrades to a squire tele? I was considering changing the tuners to a set like what on a 52 reissue. Will they fit without modification?

2. Caper

Caper Friend of Leo's

I tried to replace the tuners on my son's Squire Fat Tele with a set of from an American series but the headstock on the Squire was too thick. This was a staggered set, only the low E and the A worked out. I also bought the Grover Vintage Deluxe tuners but the conversion bushings from Allparts were too small for the Squire factory holes. The Allparts bushings measure 0.399" and the Squire has a 0.403" diameter hole.

3. slowpinky

slowpinky Tele-Afflicted

The tuners on my VM SSH were of the more modern type with press -holes for the casing on the back of the headstock instead of screws. The peg holes were larger - (I dont have it anymore )- but the ferrules were 10mm I think - anyway the classic Kluson type tuners would need new holes drilled for the casing screws if its like the VM. Measure it up and try GFS - Ive bought a couple of good sets of tuners from them.

4. yegbert

yegbert Poster Extraordinaire

If you're after better tuning stability, make sure the nut slots aren't the culprit before you blame it on the stock tuners. All nine of my Squier Teles still have their original tuners.

If you have your heart set on vintage style tuners for other reasons, maybe looks or maybe the ease of restringing with split posts, it can be done. I put a set on a Mighty Mite neck which has the same [larger] size holes in teh headstock as my Squier Teles, and the conversion bushings from StewMac worked well to get them to fit:

[​IMG]

But I can't vouch whether they would fit on your Squire. I don't think they would on the one below. ;)

[​IMG]

5. 13ontheB

13ontheB Tele-Afflicted

Do you mean SQUIER? That is the correct spelling of the Fender licenced overseas built guitars.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.