Squire Super-Sonic build - the hard way

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by unibox, Apr 16, 2019.

1. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

For what it's worth, superglue and baking soda can repair dings and such on acrylic templates pretty easily.

unibox likes this.
  2. unibox

unibox TDPRI Member

Made up a pickup template and it worked great. Also, I am so glad I switched to Basswood for my first build. Super easy to work with and it looks like the Squire Super-Sonic came in Basswood.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One little where the bit was too deep because I can be stupid. Little bit of wood filler and you won't even see it.
    [​IMG]

3. unibox

unibox TDPRI Member

Did the arm and belly carve with the belt sander. Not perfect but I will sand away at it with sime 120 grit paper and get it set.

[​IMG]

Switch hole cut and a wire route. I ended up cutting the wire route deeper later when I did the control cavity.
    [​IMG]

I freehanded a control cavity template. I smoothed it out more with some sandpaper.
    [​IMG]

Checking the fit. I am using a Fender Jaguar control plate flipped upside down. I plan on using it as a template to make my own. Might as well. ;)
    [​IMG]

I drilled some holes in the screw holes in the template and then center punched the location I want the plate on the body. This helped get the location right. Otherwise I didn't have a good way to get it excatly where I wanted it.
    [​IMG]

Tape and gel super glue.
    [​IMG]

All done. Deepened the wire routes.
    [​IMG]

Lots of sanding. I taped up the neck pocket ready for primer.
    [​IMG]

First light coat of sandable primer. It was really gritty and rough after a few coats.
    [​IMG]

I sanded the primer down and show some silver base coat down. This is getting sanded as well. Came out kind of blotchy. About what I expected from a can. It is also 90F/32C today so I am sure that didnt help. This is not the finnish layer. I have some glitter paint that will go on this after I wet sand it smooth.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 5, 2019
  4. unibox

unibox TDPRI Member

After some wet sanding on the silver it looks good.
    [​IMG]

First coat of glitter! It is like fabulous camouflage. It is hiding everything. You can see on the tae that the glitter coats didn't really add much color just sparkle.
    [​IMG]

Adding some clear and it looks great. I picked photos that do not show the big run in the clear too much.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Couldn't wait for a quick mock up.
    [​IMG]

And with some of the hardware laying on it.
    [​IMG]

Next up is to wait for the clear to harden up to wet sand and polish. I also need to make a custom pickguard somehow and I want to try to make a neck plate out of some stainless steel I have lying around.

5. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Lovin' the Reverse Super Sonic.

unibox likes this.
  6. unibox

unibox TDPRI Member

Delay in the project to build some stairs.
    [​IMG]

Pressing in the tuner flute things. Couldn't figure out a way to get them in straight. I ended up with the old screwdriver technique.
    [​IMG]

Test fitting the tuning machines and marked the holes to screw them in.
    [​IMG]

Lots of little tasks. I am going to try to make a neck plate out of some stainless steel. Check out my inverted clamped jigsaw idea. This really doesn't work well at all.
    [​IMG]

This was the first attempt. Need to clean it up or somehow polish it. A grinder would be nice. I'll work on it more later.
    [​IMG]

Time to sand the clear. There were quite a few runs and the surface was really rough from the glitter coat.
    [​IMG]

Used some 220 grit.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wet sanded to 2000 grit. Still need to do the edges then I can polish.
    [​IMG]

Drew up a rough sketch.
    [​IMG]

This was not the right way to do it. I made an mdf template and tape glued it to the pickguard. Way too much work. Plus I cut it upside down. I did not know there was a plastic covered good side. There was enough to cut an extra one so that worked out.
    [​IMG]

Oops.
    [​IMG]

The better way for me was to cut the rough shape and use the sander to get close to the line.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also sealed the neck with some awesome aged clear from Stewmac. First coat.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Six coats looks about right. I am not sure though.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. unibox

unibox TDPRI Member

Got some custom headstock decals made up from Etsy. My last name + Super Sonic. They came out really nice for $12. I am waiting on installing these then I'll shoot some clear over it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Working on the custom pickguard. It would have been much easier if I'd used the templates.
    [​IMG]

I drilled a test hole and used a sharp o-ring pick to scratch the underside so it would be exactly lined up.
    [​IMG]

Used the drum sander technique to grind it back to the line. I had it on and off a dozen times to creep up on the line.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Didn't come out perfect but it is ok. Maybe it won't be too noticeable. I can always make another one using this as a template to get it close. I am going to wait on the next one. Take it slow.
    [​IMG]

Captain Nutslot, Ekko and Zepfan like this.
  8. Allan Allan

Allan Allan Tele-Meister

This thread really drummed up some nostalgia for the SuperSonic I had. Sadly, it was on loan to a friend and he lost it in a home fire.

unibox likes this.
  9. oldrebel

oldrebel Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Oh that is terrible!! So very sad. I guess that you need to get on with building another one.

10. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

Very cool project!

unibox likes this.
  11. unibox

unibox TDPRI Member

More updates.

I was able to get the other pickup hole cut and it came out ok. Just need to bevel the edges and somehow line up the hole for the switch and not mess it up. I have too much work in the pickguard.
    [​IMG]

Time to work on the neck plate. I had already had it cut out just need to drill the holes and counter sink them. I have been filing it flat as I can and using some metal sandpaper.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I bought some polishing stuff from harbor freight. This was my first time trying this and it didn't come out great. Mine is in the middle in the photo below. The left is how I started and the right is one from ebay.
    [​IMG]

I called in for help and had it polished by a pro. I also drilled the holes for the screws. Looks pretty good.
    [​IMG]

Time to experiment and figured out how to bevel the pickguard. I came up with this and it worked!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Little bit of shielding.
    [​IMG]

Headstock waterslide was way harder than I thought. Some of it folded but I got it fixed. The edges lifted up as well.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    About 40 coats of lacquer later and I can still see the edges.
    [​IMG]

12. Zepfan

Great job so far and good job on the guard even if it's white.:D Black White Black would really make the Silver Sparkle pop, use the white one as a template. Sorry, do what you want.

unibox likes this.
  13. unibox

unibox TDPRI Member

I totally agree. I didn't think I'd be able to make the white one work completely without screwing up. I am amazed it did. I picked white because it looks like my inspiration for the project. I think a black or white pearl 3 ply pickguard would be cool too.

[​IMG]

14. Zepfan

Fantastic job on the guitar and the pickguard looks like it was store bought.

unibox likes this.
  15. unibox

unibox TDPRI Member

Here is a quick preview before it is completed. I couldn't resist seeing it together.
    [​IMG]

16. unibox

unibox TDPRI Member

The project is complete! and it came out great for my first attempt. I am super excited. I'll post a video of it playing in a few days.

It has been a while since I posted. I was waiting to get the guitar set up locally. I had tried to do some sort of fret leveling but did not want to mess it up. So I had Paradise Guitars here in Beloit Wi set it up. I had them set the neck, level the frets and wire it. I told them I had low expectations so if they were not able to get the frets level or maybe the neck was too far out I was ok with that. But... the frets leveled great and the neck was fine. He said things went really well and it came out awesome. It plays great with no fret buzz. The only thing was that the bridge could be a few millimeters back but that it will totally work they way it is.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. RiversQC

RiversQC Tele-Meister

Beautiful, man. That is a super cool guitar! A pleasure to revisit this thread, and that headstock logo looks shaaarp.

unibox likes this.
  18. tdoty

tdoty Tele-Meister

Nice!!!

Late to the party here, but even after buying a 14" bandsaw, I find I prefer my $30 pawn shop scroll saw over the bandsaw for most things. A little slower, but mistakes happen slower too.

Great work on the guitar!

unibox likes this.
  19. Zepfan

That turned out great.

unibox likes this.
  20. reckless toboggan

reckless toboggan Tele-Holic

I miss my Super-Sonic so much.

Your build turned out great, and brought a lot of memories rushing back.

I loved that guitar. It was that, or food and shelter for a month. One of my biggest regrets.

unibox and RiversQC like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.