Squire Strat Neck Swap

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Skip D, Nov 6, 2017.

1. Skip D

Skip D TDPRI Member

I will need to replace my neck soon on my Squire Strat. SN prefix is: ICS14.. I found a new neck with tuners on e-bay.. The SN prefix is IS13... Should be a direct fit,,,, right????

2. codamedia

codamedia Poster Extraordinaire

Serial numbers are irrelevant... it's the model that matters.

Most Squiers will take a standard strat neck without any issues, but IIRC there are a few models (over the years) that cannot use a standard neck as they are not scaled the same.

3. LowThudd

LowThudd Friend of Leo's

May also have fitment issues. Necks are fit to individual guitars. When you buy a NEW neck, they are undrilled.

It could easily fit, with some minor adjustments at most. Or in the worst case, it could need the screw holes filled and redrilled.

The other issue is, the condition of the used neck you are buying. Is it straight? Is the nut good? Are the frets good? Etc.

I bought a Squier standard neck on ebay, and not only were the screw holes not in the right place for my Affinity, the frets were well worn and I needed to dress them. Really, it needs a refret. Frets are really low after dressing them. But, I only paid $40 shipped, and it was worth it to have something to learn to level frets on.

You might be better off buying a NEW neck. Fender sells Mexican necks fro $200, and I have seen them for less than that on ebay.

Or, you could get a licensed neck from Allparts or Mighty mite. etc. They will likely be of much better quality than the used Squier neck, and possibly better than the Mexi fender neck.

Felino likes this.
  4. Skip D

Skip D TDPRI Member

Thanks for the replies!!!

5. maloburro

maloburro Tele-Holic

I got a new MIM Fender 50s Soft V neck and put it on a 2008 Standard Squier body and it’s perfect.

6. metale

metale Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

For what it's worth, when I had two 90s Squier strats I once experimented with swapping necks and the holes did no allign. At all.

Still I would like to try to put the all maple neck of my Squier Deluxe on my refinished 90s one and may give it a try one of these days.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.