1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Squire Mini P-Bass Refinish?

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by teleman78, Jan 26, 2021.

1. teleman78

teleman78 Tele-Holic

Hey guys,

long story short, a few years ago the wife wanted a bass guitar so I bought her a Classic Vibe Squire PBass in daphne blue.. really nice bass except the pickups and electronics (they were complete garbage) upgraded those and it was perfect except for the size and weight.

A friend came over to jam one day and he brought a short scale bass... my wife and I tried it and realized that we had bought the wrong bass.. she needed a short scale bass.

Sold the Classic Vibe and bought her the Squire Mini PBass in black, since she didn’t really like the red at all. Now that she has had it for a couple of months the black isn’t really working for us, just looks “eh”..

She really wants a natural wood color body but I’m thinking “This is a $179 bass with a poplar body so it is probably 4 piece, chances are under the black paint there isn’t a very attractive looking piece of wood for a natural finish”

I’m also thinking, “IT MUST BE A NIGHTMARE to strip that poly finish” so my next idea is to refinish that black body with a Vintage White nitro... I have left over rattle cans of nitro vintage white, clear coat and primer from another project as did..

What can you guys recommend? Should strip the black poly? Sand off the black poly to see the wood underneath instead? Or should I paint over the black poly with white nitro? What would be the best way?

thanks so much In advance.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2021
  2. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Poster Extraordinaire

A better question, assuming you can strip it to bare wood are you capable of putting on a finish that both you and she will be happy with? Be honest, finishing a guitar is one of the hardest parts about making one.

3. Jerry_Mountains

Jerry_Mountains Tele-Holic

Oh man I have a similar situation over here, I have an El Cheapo strat in black, and I want to refinish it in white because everybody knows white guitars sounds best. But I think it doesn't worth the hassle.

4. teleman78

teleman78 Tele-Holic

Yes, I believe I can put a nice nitro finish, I’ve done it twice before on other guitars. My concern is the Polyurethane finish on the mini PBass... I’ve read poly is very difficult to remove and not sure how the nitro would adhere to it. Also since the color is black, not sure how the white nitro would work over it..

5. teleman78

teleman78 Tele-Holic

now this is hilarious lol

Jerry_Mountains likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.