Squire Jazz Bass decal to replace or not?

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by Sarde, Jul 15, 2019.

Replace the Squire decal or not?

1. Yes, replace the decal.

2 vote(s)
    14.3%
  2. Just leave it off.

10 vote(s)
    71.4%
  3. Put your own on it man; it's only a Squire anyway.

2 vote(s)
    14.3%
  1. Sarde

Sarde Tele-Meister

My dad found a Squire Jazz bass and gave it to me. It was covered in stickers and was beat up pretty bad. I cleaned it up and polished the body up nicely. The previous owner was ashamed of the brand and put stickers all over the headstock which ripped off the decal on cleaning. You can still see make out the outline of "Squire Jazz Bass" on the head stock. I am planning on flipping it when it is all put back together. Should I make a new decal just like the original for resale value or leave it blank but with the ghost outline of the Squire logo hiding in plain sight?

2. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

*I* would replace the decal with an identical one. When selling, include before and after pictures and the explanation. As long as the Squier serial number is intact, I see no issues.

Do you know for certain that it's a Squier?

3. Ducerro

Ducerro Tele-Meister

Interesting... I was just having this same discussion with myself the other day. I have an old Korean Squier that is just awful to play. Unfortunately, it was my first electric so for some strange reason I'm emotionally attached to it. To see if I could revive it I took the strings off the other day with the intention of restringing it. In doing so I revealed several issues that will need to be addressed - so I've got some parts to order now. At any rate, this Squier has black logos that look very cheap - mostly just stamped on the headstock. And - since I don't mind it being a Squier - I'm thinking about replacing the logo with something else from the Squier line up that doesn't look like an after-thought.

With that in mind I voted Yes - replace the decal.

4. Sarde

Sarde Tele-Meister

It certainly seems to be a squire to me...that is unless someone wants to counterfeit a squire.
    The serial number is MIA; but the neck pocket on the body is date stamped so that should help with dating it...lol. Here is a pic of the headstock sans decal. You can see some of the sun bleaching from the stickers on the front of the headstock and the old decal residuals.
    Squire jazz bass.JPG

5. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

Cool. That's your "before" picture.

Sarde likes this.
  6. ElJay370

ElJay370 Tele-Holic

Eh...sand it down to the wood and reshoot it clear. It'll look a 100 times better. Nobody's going to have any reason to doubt you when you tell them it's a Squier.

7. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Tele-Holic

Now that you posted a picture it's easier to decide. I would get a Squier sticker and re-finish the neck so it looked good again.
    It is just a Squier so I wouldn't loose sleep over it, but make it look good again

8. Peltogyne

Peltogyne Tele-Afflicted

Since you want to sell it I think it would be hard to increase the resale value enough to cover the cost of the decal and your time so I would just leave it as is for the next owner to decide.

If you want the project to see if you can make it look right then I'd add a new decal. But at that point I'd make a custom decal because that amuses me more than having it say Squier.

It could be funny to make a Squire decal since that's the common misspelling. There's a certain charm in a faked Squier :)

9. brbadg

brbadg Tele-Afflicted

This is not worth trouble.People looking for a used Squier will not care
    about this.

10. kaludjerko

kaludjerko TDPRI Member

With label off and indication of what was there before, you have character instrument with a story to tell (no matter how small one).

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.