Squire CV 50s Strat - bridge pickup tone pot ineffective

Thomthom098

TDPRI Member
Hi All,
Just received subject guitare, new. Like it very much but bridge pickup tone pot seems to have no effect. Checking the welds, re-melted them to ensure none dry. Checked capacitor, seems 0.022 microF. Pot Ohms checked ok, 0 to 250 kOhms it seems... Any idea ? Possible wiring wrong from factory ?!
Thanks 😊

Attachments

• 20220111_232231.jpg
    20220111_232231.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 21
  • 20220111_232253.jpg
    20220111_232253.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 24
  • 20220111_232352.jpg
    20220111_232352.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 22

howardlo

Tele-Afflicted
I like to jumper the switch to have it control the bridge pickup from the neck pot. Works great since with a normal five way switch it is never controlling two picks at the same time, since the neck and bridge pickups are never on at the same time. Easy mod, just requires a short jumper on the switch.

As stated above Strats rarely come with a tone pot connected to the bridge pup. My new Players Strat does but it is shared with the middle pickup. Wish they had done it controlled by the neck pickup tone pot as described above.

Thomthom098

TDPRI Member
Most Strats do not have a bridge pickup tone control. Are you sure this is supposed to?
Ok, I am learning something, thanks. Never 100% sure but here am quite sure yes:

- The middle pot adjuste the tone for both neck and middle pickups, I hear it and also see the bridge wire doing that on the switch so that leaves me with the bottom tone pot doing nothing at all - so I think it is not normal.
- My Strat+ from 1988 is exactly the same, middle tone pot acts on neck and middle and bottom tone pot only for bridge pickup.

Doing tests I had it working this morning and when reassembling the guitar it didn't work again... trying to check all welds, wires etc... but fail to identify the issue so far...

Thomthom098

TDPRI Member
We can actually see the bridge here (circled in red) assigning middle tone pot to both neck and middle pickup:

Attachments

• 20220112_093554.jpg
    20220112_093554.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 17

Thomthom098

TDPRI Member
Got it, had to tap on the pot a bit to notice it was intermittently working. I sprayed it w/ contact cleaner and it is working now, so far. Thanks for the help !

Digital Larry

Friend of Leo's
I had a Squier HSS Strat and the bridge pickup had no tone knob on it AFAICR. That guitar convinced me I don't like Strats, but it's me, not the guitar.

Jakedog

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Most Strats do not have a bridge pickup tone control. Are you sure this is supposed to?
Connecting the bridge pickup to the lower tone pot (the tone pot for the middle pickup) is a common mod but Strats don't really come that way.
Not entirely true. Since 1986 with the advent of the American Standard, every modern MIA Strat has had a bridge pickup tone control. The only exceptions have been vintage reissues and some sig models. Top tone does neck and middle, bottom tone does bridge.

OP- your Squier is a 50’s style guitar. It won’t have a bridge tone. But it’s easy to wire it up American Standard style if you want to.

Thomthom098

TDPRI Member
Thanks for the follow-up !,

I confirm my Strat fron 1988 is wired exactly as you describe: "Top tone does neck and middle, bottom tone does bridge"

Now, the subject Squire Classic Vibe '50s Stratocaster bottom tone pot I had an issue with is also wired this exact same way (brand new guitare, received 2 days ago). It is confirmed from what I hear when I play it and I also checked the wiring physically.

Funnily, the Fender site describes yet another type of wiring for the Squire CV '50s: "Controls: Master Volume, Tone 1. (Neck Pickup), Tone 2. (Bridge/Middle Pickup)" which is NOT what I received home...

Leo Fender's legacy, design / specify something and build / sell something else, like the famous bypass capacitors on V1a on the 5F1 champ... 😅

Last edited:

Bruxist

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter

I confirm my Strat fron 1988 is wired exactly as you describe: "Top tone does neck and middle, bottom tone does bridge"

Now, the subject Squire Classic Vibe '50s Stratocaster bottom tone pot I had an issue with is also wired this exact same way (brand new guitare, received 2 days ago). It is confirmed from what I hear when I play it and I also checked the wiring physically.

Funnily, the Femder site describes yet another type of wiring on the official site for the Squire CV '50s: "Controls: Master Volume, Tone 1. (Neck Pickup), Tone 2. (Bridge/Middle Pickup)" which is NOT what I received home...

Leo Fender's legacy, design / specify something and build / sell something else, like the famous bypass capacitors on V1a on the 5F1 champ... 😅

My first strat was an '88 and I was surprised to find out they were not all like this.

Not sure why they aren't. I used to jumper mine so the 2nd tone was M+B and now I just make it B alone. M don't need no tone control!

radiocaster

Poster Extraordinaire
A standard strat has a tone for the neck and a tone for the middle pickup. However, when you combine the middle and bridge you get a master tone for those two. Combining neck and middle will give you two tone controls that affect both pickups.

Since there are no individual volume controls, the tone controls affect both pickups equally. Even most cheap strat copies work like this.

DougM

Poster Extraordinaire

Funnily, the Fender site describes yet another type of wiring for the Squire CV '50s: "Controls: Master Volume, Tone 1. (Neck Pickup), Tone 2. (Bridge/Middle Pickup)" which is NOT what I received home...

Your guitar is not new and the wiring is not stock. It would have much neater wiring from the factory, and all 3 pots would be the small ones, not 2 small ones and one large one.

Thomthom098

TDPRI Member
Your guitar is not new and the wiring is not stock

It came with all the sticker / protective foils and the super slinky original Fender strings, that I know. If some one bought it, modifier the wiring, and returned it I got amazingly lucky, he modified the wiring to my liking 👍😅

codamedia

Poster Extraordinaire
It came with all the sticker / protective foils and the super slinky original Fender strings, that I know. If some one bought it, modifier the wiring, and returned it I got amazingly lucky, he modified the wiring to my liking 👍😅

If the wiring in your opening post is how it looked when you opened the guitar... that does not look factory to me. Somebody in the factory was having a bad day if it is.

Thomthom098

TDPRI Member
If the wiring in your opening post is how it looked when you opened the guitar... that does not look factory to me. Somebody in the factory was having a bad day if it is.
No, I had already remelted all welds by the time I took the photo. All works fine 🙂