Squire Classic Vibe 60s Strat

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Hastings, Oct 18, 2020.

1. Hastings

Hastings Tele-Meister

I'm trying to determine which woods are now in those things. The vendors tend not to say, which probably means the woods are not popular ones. The Fender International page say that the bodies are alder; but then, the same page (specs) says that the fretboard material is both Indian Laurel and Rosewood. (Nice one, Fender...) https://shop.fender.com/en/intl/squ...classic-vibe-stratocaster-60s/0303010566.html

If anyone here knows what the woods actually are today, please advise.
    Thank you.

2. 8trackmind

8trackmind Tele-Afflicted

Expect a Laurel fretboard. Body could be basswood. Doesn't matter as much as folks make out. Put a tone control on the bridge pickup and enjoy the ride. Folks pay far more for strats that maybe sound marginally better.

RoscoeElegante and Jlwctn like this.
  3. Hastings

Hastings Tele-Meister

The fretboards are certainly laurel now, it is the body woods which could be poplar, alder, nato, basswood, pine, or boola-boola.

4. Sceeter

Sceeter TDPRI Member

I had the same concerns and I ultimately went to the used market. Finding one from right before wood sourcing was as big of an issue as it seems to be now got me a nice dark rosewood board and a little more confidence in what I was getting. I ended up with a really nice CV custom and saved a few bucks that I can put into some upgrades.

5. Hastings

Hastings Tele-Meister

I agree. I hate buying used stuff, and the pandemic changes everything..... but yes, you are probably right.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.