1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Squier Vintage Modified Tele Refin

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by willholt92, Aug 10, 2020.

1. FortyEight

FortyEight Tele-Meister

That's what it was. I kick myself for getting rid of it. The sound was unlike anything I ever heard and just... . really good. But yeah, the neck was on an extreme angle to the body and I strum a lot. And it felt really weird to me.

It would've been a good one for solos and such and maybe not so much of a rhythm guitar. It's the one thing I like about Fenders over Les Pauls and such. I feel like I can strum more naturally and longer strokes with the flatter type ergos. The les pauls the strings sort of sit far away from the body and I have tenancy to not be as smooth with the strumming for some reason.

willholt92 likes this.
  2. willholt92

willholt92 Tele-Meister

Litte update:

I've been slowly adding clear coat to the body for the last week or so, 1 coat per day.
    I'm up to 6 coats now, I have a little bit of clear left but may not add anymore now.

I'll leave it for a couple weeks now to cure a bit before cutting and polishing.

In the mean time I went to wire the control plate last weekend only to discover the CTS pots have larger shafts.
    Point to note if you are rewiring a Squier, make sure the pots will fit.

So a couple minutes with the step drill to open them up and I've been able to assemble the plate.

Hoping this weekend I'll be able to wire it all up ready for when the body is finished.

IMG_2243.JPG
    IMG_2244.JPG IMG_2245.jpg IMG_2246.JPG

3. willholt92

willholt92 Tele-Meister

I know what you mean, an LP for me automatically puts me into a lead mindset rather than rhythm.
    A tele for me is the ultimate rhythm guitar, simple and effective.

Sounds like you need an Esquire with a P90 in the bridge ;)

4. FortyEight

FortyEight Tele-Meister

There you go. I could probably dig that. I have been more open to bridge pups and turning the tone knob down lately. I used to barely every play a bridge pup though. LOL.

Tele's can totally do leads though. Well really any guitar can and yes a LP is like the quintessential rock lead guitar. But I don't know, I had two epiphones back in the day and I got rid of them in preference to a tele. For sure I'm more of a rhythm guitarist but I still like doing leads better on a Tele.

I think I would like a double cut slab body Gibson / Epiphone though. LOL

willholt92 likes this.
  5. willholt92

willholt92 Tele-Meister

Oh absolutely Tele's can do leads, but like you I am more of a ryhthm guitarist. And I guess I just think of Sticky fingers era stones which is my favoruite. Keith keeping the rhythm on a tele, Mick nailing solos on an LP. Perfect 2 guitar combo.

Haha yeah slab body junior would be nice, the new Epiphones have some really nice guitars in their range. The LP special is an amazing deal and very well spec'd guitars now, and a nice new headstock to boot

6. FortyEight

FortyEight Tele-Meister

Yeah I was tempted at getting one of them specials before I got the Tele... So it may be in my future.... What I like about some of the specials is they have the pup switch down low. Seems like I've seen both ways though... Or maybe not. If my memory serves me right it's just two knobs and a pup switch down there. Instead of 4 knobs.

I like double cut versions cuz it's usually down low and I think they look a hair better too. Although it's not like I'm opposed to the looks of a single cut.

So how much wiring you got left to do? I'm interested in seeing your finished guitar!!! So good.

willholt92 likes this.
  7. willholt92

willholt92 Tele-Meister

Yeah I must admitt, I do prefer the pickup switch down low. I ALWAYS catch it on my LP, so annoying, especially when I have my neck pup volume turned down for quiet chords and bridge on full for LOUD lead parts.

I need to solder the plate up with pots, caps and jack wiring ready. Hopefully this weekend when I get a minute spare.

I have put the final coat of clear on last night after work and the body is now in my office for a couple weeks so the nitro can dry before wet sanding and buffing.
    I couldn't resist throwing the neck and parts on for some quick shots.

I can't wait to get it finished now, hope you enjoy the pics as much as I do.

IMG_2247.jpg IMG_2250.JPG IMG_2251.JPG IMG_2252.JPG

8. FortyEight

FortyEight Tele-Meister

Niiiiiiiiice. Hey, it's TV Yellow!

Love the flipped switch. I was gonna say that I'm even getting to the point that on my Tele and Strats having the switch on the neck pup is starting to annoy me. I tried to flip my Teles around without doing any rewiring but the wires weren't long enough to do that. So.... I would love to do that mod though.

9. willholt92

willholt92 Tele-Meister

Haha yeah it does look like it.
    Hoping once I've polished it I can get some decent checking to the clear coat and add a bit of dye to make them a little more pronounced.

Yeah flipping the plate is a very worth while mod for sure

FortyEight likes this.
  10. willholt92

willholt92 Tele-Meister

Finally an update.

I've been cracking on with the tele this weekend.

Wired the control plate last weekend ready to fit and wire the pups in.

E6346E19-EA28-4651-86C7-37A2ED81E841.JPG

I spent 4 hours on sunday wet sanding and polishing the body, it takes a while but is very satisfying at the end.
    Hoping I might be able to get the body in the freezer at work over night this week and get some checking happening.

1000 grit wet sand first, this took the longest time to get a flat uniform finish, I did end up going through in a few places but I'm not too bothered as I'll be lightly relicing it any way.

IMG_2359.jpg IMG_2360.JPG IMG_2361.JPG IMG_2363.JPG

IMG_2364.JPG

Then on to 2000 grit wet afterwards.

IMG_2367.JPG
    IMG_2369.JPG

IMG_2370.JPG

Finally polishing, I used colour restorer that I had handy for this and it worked a treat.
    IMG_2373.JPG

11. willholt92

willholt92 Tele-Meister

IMG_2374.JPG IMG_2377.JPG
    You can see my daughter peaking and making sure I'm doing it right.
    IMG_2378.JPG IMG_2379.JPG IMG_2380.JPG

I threw the hardware on to see how she looked. It was only then that I realised that the cap is now hitting the bottom of the control cavity as it is not uniformly routed. Doh.

So I'm going to carefully run my flush cut router bit in there tonight to hopefully tidy it up, and fingers crossed not mark up the finish too badly.

I've bought some more shielding paint to tidy the cavities up afterwards. And I can then press the string ferules back in.

IMG_2381.JPG IMG_2382.JPG

Last edited: Oct 27, 2020
    zippofan and teletimetx like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.