Squier Vintage Modified Tele Refin

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by willholt92, Aug 10, 2020.

1. willholt92

willholt92 Tele-Meister

I've had my Tele VM for a good few years and I love it dearly.
    I got this second hand around 6 years ago from a guy who had already done some mods to it.

He removed the middle pickup, put in a new Cap, flipped the control plate and a fender ash try bridge.

FullSizeRender22.jpg

It stayed like this for a year or two.
    I made some mods myself to bring it more into what I wanted from the guitar.

I went for new custom hand wound pickups, a PAF style in the neck and an Alnico 3 flat pole in the bridge wound to lapsteel specs, I'm going after Micawber tone as this guitar lives in open G for Stones and Black Crowes riffs.
    I also changed the saddles from steel to brass as I prefer the tone and added a bone nut as I do this on all my guitars. Also went for a red tort guard.

FullSizeRender.jpg

I'm now refinishing the guitar in nitro butterscotch and a blackguard as for me this is the best colour for a telecaster.

I was planning on sanding the poly down and shooting nitro over the top but to be honest the poly wasn't as thick as on some of the other squier's I've refinned and I've ended up going through in a few places.

So I'm now waiting on some sanding sealer before I can shoot the colour.
    To be honest as I am planning on a light relic the areas I have gone through might end up getting scraped to show a little bit of wood through the nitro.

IMG_1880.JPG IMG_1881.JPG IMG_1882.JPG IMG_1883.JPG

I have also bought new pots, CTS for both tone and volume, I've bought a switch volume pot so I can split the neck hb. And I went for a new orange drop cap as well.

FullSizeRender (1).jpg

I'll post some more pictures as I get into painting in the next week or so.

Frito-Man, Gabrielle84 and Treynor like this.
  2. willholt92

willholt92 Tele-Meister

My impatience got the better of me. Again.

Thought I would be able to get away with spraying straight over after sanding sealer but as the Butterscotch paint/laquer is so transparent it doesn't cover anywhere near what I was expecting so the differnece in the white and bare wood would have been visable and my OCD won;t allow that haha

So I've had to shell out again and get some white primer and another can of blonde and go back a step.

One day I'll learn and not rush things. But it was not this day.

IMG_1914.JPG

IMG_1918.JPG IMG_1919.JPG IMG_1920.JPG IMG_1921.JPG IMG_1922.JPG

Attached Files:

FortyEight and 68Telebass like this.
  3. 68Telebass

68Telebass Tele-Afflicted

I like where you are going!!!
    Keep us posted as you get there!!
    Carl

willholt92 likes this.
  4. willholt92

willholt92 Tele-Meister

I will do, I'm trying to get some projects finished so I can focus on my current amp build, but I keep flitting between the two.

Mad Kiwi likes this.
  5. 1996Standard

1996Standard Tele-Meister

I'm surprised you'd need sanding sealer in that situation. I refinished a MIM strat a few years ago. Sanded through the factory poly and shot it with nitro. Didn't sand and seal. Haven't noticed any issues 10+ years on.

willholt92 likes this.
  6. willholt92

willholt92 Tele-Meister

Ah right, to be honest I probably could have got away with it. Interesting, thanks for letting me know that, I have had different types of wood in the past have issues with paint really soaking in with out sanding sealer. And the last thing I wanted was any issues with paint being patchy in different areas, bare wood to poly. If I'd taken all the poly off it would at least match the whole body if I did have issues.

Plus I've got a can of sealer now with enough to do another guitar.

I flatted the orange peel back last night from over doing the blonde and shot first coat of primer.

IMG_1940.JPG IMG_1941.JPG

howardlo and 1996Standard like this.
  7. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

When I did my butterscotch I found it took a lot of coats for it to start looking creamy. You are on the right track though.

willholt92 likes this.
  8. willholt92

willholt92 Tele-Meister

Yeah I've got a can and a half left of Butterscotch, lots of thin coats is the name of the game it looks like.
    Did you clear coat over top after?

9. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

I actually mixed my own but I probably put on about 12 coats till I got the coverage I wanted. I then did about 6 coats of clear over the top, the grain has sunken now (it is 15 years old) and it has aged nicely.

willholt92 likes this.
  10. willholt92

willholt92 Tele-Meister

So I got all the primer on, flatted it back with 800 grit wet and dry until it was super smooth and shot a couple coats of colour.

This is the second coat

FBF07DD5-C703-4690-A0D4-F6ACEC8E269E.jpeg CFBA7AF5-8475-4444-824F-3E21F637E0FB.jpeg

This was the last of my first can of butterscotch.

So I opened my new one which is from a different supplier and is much thicker and covers a lot better.
    Unfortunately as a result on the third coat I ended up with a little bit of a run which is annoying but I’ll be able to sort that next week.

Starting to look right now
    FCFC4A23-771E-42FC-8A92-312BE52712A4.jpeg

stressdoubt, NigeG and TheOtherNeill like this.
  11. FortyEight

FortyEight Tele-Meister

Great job!!! Looking good.

I actually liked it the way it was though. LOL. I have BSB and for me I'm not in love with that color combo. Isn't funny how the grass is always greener? LOL. I like how it plays a lot though and I don't plan to mess with it much. The only thing I did was put strat knobs on like yours has but off white. After playing a P bass a lot and another strat I've come to really like the numbers on the knobs. And mine is an affinity and the original knobs felt cheap to me.

I tried flipping my control plate around but the wires didn't seem long enough to do that. I think it would need to be rewired. I couldn't just flip the switch around either.... Grrrrrrr..... I've never wired a guitar and this is like my main guitar and I don't want to mess it up. It sounds good now so I'm just going to leave well enough alone. I have a strat that may get some more futzing with. Well I have 2 but the neck is getting almost toast on one of them so it's not worth doing stuff to unless I get a new neck for it.

willholt92 likes this.
  12. willholt92

willholt92 Tele-Meister

Haha that is always the way. We covert what we don't have.
    I've been planning on refinishing this for so many years that I just bite the bullet.

They are really good guitars for what you pay for them, and that's the nice thing for me too they are a nice entry to modifications in that if things go wrong it's not $$$$ of guitar ruined.
    My strat was the first guitar I ever messed around with, honestly I was worried the first time I tried changing things and had paid techs to do mods for years, but once you finally jump in you realise that it is really really simple to work on guitars (Much more than amps, that is a new minefield I am treading very carefully)

Flipping the control plate is more work than it seems, to be honest if that is something you are thinking of trying I would buy new parts and make up a second control plate, that way you can keep playing it until you are ready to swap them out. I'd buy some CTS or similar pots, decent capacitor and use it as a nice introduction project. Honestly it is surprising how much of a difference better quality components make. There's great mods that you can incorperate too to make the guitar more flexible (4 way switch, 50's wiring are the first that come to mind)

One quick and really great thing I do is sand all the sticky finish off the neck and then a couple coats of gun stock oil. Makes a world of differnece toa guitars feel

13. willholt92

willholt92 Tele-Meister

UPDATE

I finally finished all the butterscotch coats and let it go off for a week. Flatted a bit of orange peeling back with some 2000 wet and dry.
    She's all ready for clear now.

I couldn't resist throwing the guard on to see what she's going to look like.
    Happy with progress so far.

IMG_2185.JPG IMG_2186.JPG IMG_2187.JPG IMG_2188.JPG IMG_2189.JPG IMG_2190.JPG

68Telebass, bls82261 and FortyEight like this.
  14. FortyEight

FortyEight Tele-Meister

I lightly sand the back of my necks. I have not sanded the fretbaord on my Tele. I did some fine steel wool to one of my strats fretboard and it helped.

That's a good idea about making up a switch first and having it ready to go. I SHOULD learn how to solder. Cuz I think it would be very beneficial. Honestly I like taking used things and making them valid again. I do it with bicycles and all that. I just feel silly buying new when there are so any unused masses of stuff that is just bound for the landfill. I'm not a hippy or anything, and mostly it's cuz I don't have a lot of extra money. But I do get kind of like, man... everyone just throws crap away when it doesn't do what they want to, or loses use for them. And stuff can be brought back to life with sometimes little work.

I just bought a Squier Strat for 80 bucks from a dude that says he bought it for his kids and no one ever played it. I mean it was just sitting neglected. I'm learning how to work on frets cuz it needed some work and I already did a little on my other strat. I don't love the sound of the pups but I the middle pup I like with much adjusting of the tone knob and amp settings. So I may leave it. Or I may put humbuckers on it. Not sure yet.

willholt92 likes this.
  15. FortyEight

FortyEight Tele-Meister

That looks really good!

willholt92 likes this.
  16. willholt92

willholt92 Tele-Meister

Yeah steel wool is great for that, I've never done a fretboard myself just the back of necks.

Yeah it takes a bit of practise to get soldering down, and you will never stop learning, but I find electronics really methodical when you are working on them (and the must f***ing frustrating thing on the planet when they don't work haha) But guitars are the best thing to start with, nothing can hurt you if it goes wrong.

Aww I agree 100%, I try and make the best of everything and reuse as much as I can. I have always been the same even as a kid, if something broke I'd take it apart and try and find out why, even if most of the time it remained broke it's good learning. And to be honest that is probably the reason I ended up studying product design.

Sounds like a great project, why not try something a little left field and go for a filtertron, or a soapbar? I always like guitars that have a bit of a quirk, something out of the ordinary (Says the idiot who's doing a butterscotch telecaster with a humbucker in the neck like he's some visionary lol)

Thanks for the kind words.

17. FortyEight

FortyEight Tele-Meister

That's not a bad idea. I've been jonesing for a guitar with P-90's. I was just concerned that it wouldn't take away as much of the treble as I'd like.

18. willholt92

willholt92 Tele-Meister

Just recently been gifted a Gibson SG by my mate, first time I've had P90's and I am in love. Open G and slide is unreal.

You could tweak it with pots and caps of different values to help with that.
    That would be a cool guitar.

19. FortyEight

FortyEight Tele-Meister

Yeah. P 90's. Mmmmm. I briefly owned a les paul jr when I was like 18. and the sound was out of this world. but I couldn't get over how the neck was on an angle to the body. And kind of drastically. It made it feel awkward enough that I couldn't get used to it. But it was a real Gibson. I wish I woul've saved that one cuz I bet it would be worth a heck of a lot more now than what I paid for it. Which was like 250 or something like that. I remember it wasn't a ton.

willholt92 likes this.
  20. willholt92

willholt92 Tele-Meister

Yeah I'd love a P90 junior, actually that is what I had my eyes on before my mate gave me this one.

There's something about a single pickup, wraptail guitar that is unbeatable. A simple thing but so many sounds available, and really pushes how you play the guitar too
    I've got an '84 Gordon Smith GS1 in this format albeit with a filtertron in the bridge and I will never sell that thing.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.