1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Squier Thinline '69 VM (24.75") body with '69 Thinline CV (25.5") neck?

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by gramgramp, Feb 27, 2021.

1. gramgramp

gramgramp TDPRI Member

IMG_0170.JPG hAnyone out there have one of these? I just got mine two weeks ago. In fact it is my first electric guitar. Been a strictly acoustic fingerpicker my whole life...until now. Obviously I have no basis of comparison but I love it! Mine had been upgraded to Fender Pat Pend 3-barrel, brass, compensated bridge. And stock white pickguard replaced with tortoise shell. Body is black. Just wondering if anyone else out there has a Thinline with CV neck on the 24.75" scale VM body?

Update: upon further study I think my neck is from a Squire Classic Vibe Telecaster 50's model. Either BSB or VB, same neck. The headstock logo looks to me to be a CV Telecaster 50s as other CV tele models had a different headstock decal logo. It has CGS serial number.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2021
  2. Boreas

Boreas Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Welcome aboard!

We respond much quicker if you show us your guitars!

Fendereedo likes this.
  3. DjimiWrey

DjimiWrey Tele-Meister

welcome and congratulations on yer new guitar
    i've had a squire RI '69 thinline that was nearly identical in feel and sound to my original '68 thinline
    the easy playability, jangly open tone unplugged, lightweight, clear deep sparkly pickups (in a good amp)
    they were like twin sisters but one was much more affordable

Fendereedo likes this.
  4. Boreas

I have Squier Thinline 72 VM (25.5") that I put a custom rosewood 24.75" (Gibson specs) neck on. I had to move the bridge up a bit, but I was switching bridges anyway because of the Bigsby.

20200309_183231.jpg

Fendereedo likes this.
  5. dpang2836

dpang2836 Tele-Meister

They came in Gold or Black and maybe made in China. Not many made this way. Then Fender Launched the "Fender" Labeled Modern Player Tele in 24.75 Scale also. Made in China and $100-$200 more than the Squires? All nice to play. I favor my 24" Scale Mustang over my 25.5" Tele.

Boreas likes this.
  6. gramgramp

gramgramp TDPRI Member

Thanks Boreas, I figured out how to upload a pic.

7. gramgramp

gramgramp TDPRI Member

Wow...THAT is quite the compliment to your Squire Thinline. Since I'm new I'm still working on the nomenclature. When you say Squire RI '69 Thinline...was that a Classic Vibe?

8. Boreas

Nice looking guitar!!

9. gramgramp

gramgramp TDPRI Member

dpang, as you can see from my now posted picture, mine is black. I prefer short scales also in the acoustic world which is where I have been my whole life until two weeks ago. But I have never had a 24" scale. That is REALLY a short scale. Must be some awesome fun to play. I always just tune my long scale acoustics down a half step to loosen the tension... so that's what I did with the Thinline. Works for me! Mustang...24" scale...THAT is something to think about.

Boreas likes this.
  10. Boreas

When I play in my recliner, I also prefer the 24" scale on my Mustang and Duo Sonic.

11. Boreas

The short-scale offsets are all great players - and usually with rosewood fretboards. I prefer rosewood over maple.

12. gramgramp

gramgramp TDPRI Member

So you did the opposite of mine. Put short scale neck on long scale body. I can appreciate that since in my acoustic life I prefer shorter scales. How is that guitar working out for you?

Boreas likes this.
  13. gramgramp

gramgramp TDPRI Member

Boreas, what does "offsets" mean?

Boreas likes this.
  14. gramgramp

gramgramp TDPRI Member

Go ahead, rub it in, Boreas! :)

Boreas likes this.
  15. Boreas

It is an asymmetric body style. Common examples are Mustang, Duo Sonic, Jazzmaster, and Jaguar.

16. Boreas

It is really the only way I can play! If I stand and use a strap, it is like I am playing a different instrument. It is a bad habit to get into, but with arthritis, it can be helpful.

17. Boreas

I was trying to find a cheap rosewood neck, but the Gibson specs (~14" radius & 24.75" scale) intrigued me. I have several Gibson's and like the way they play. It was a $60 unfinished import from China that turned out to be excellent quality. It is very dark and almost like ebony. Very happy with it.

I too prefer short-scale acoustics. I have a vintage 00-18 Martin, and sold a vintage 000-18 Martin a few years back. I also have some newer 000-16 series guitars, and a 0-15M, but do not like the 25.5" scale length. The 24.9" guitars fit better in the recliner.

18. dpang2836

dpang2836 Tele-Meister

DSCN1663.JPG I don't see a Pic? Sorry, I see it now! I lived in Tucson 20 years (1974-1994). Loved it till I moved to Phoenix for 10 years! Hated Phoenix. 15 years in Idaho now. Too damp and Cold! We booked a month in Green Valley. but cancelled due to Covid? Hopefully you don't have a 25.5" Scale Neck in a 24.75 Body? Did you measure Nut to 12th Fret, X2, or Nut to Fat E string Saddle? Pic of my Girlfriends! Down to 3 till I build my Short Scale Bass this week.

19. gramgramp

gramgramp TDPRI Member

I have a '52 00-18 which my seven year old granddaughter likes to practice on. I tune it down half step and capo at the first to shorten the neck for her. My favorite acoustics are 60's ladder braced Harmonys. Have three Sovereigns and an all mahogany H-165, 000 body. All have 25 1/8 scale. And actually two of my Sovereigns are Silvertone "branded" but purely Harmony Sovereign with a Silvertone logo. Old Martins and Gibsons are great guitars but I prefer the ladder braced Harmonys with Sovereigns on the top.
    Nice to share, Boreas.

Boreas likes this.
  20. Boreas

My 00-18 is a 51. Beat to heck, but sounds sublime. I also have a 56 LG1 that I often play in D open tuning as it can sound similar to a resonator. Think Little Martha.

dpang2836 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.