Squier Telecaster Standard (Indonesia) pickguard

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by TheDams, Jan 14, 2019.

1. TheDams

TheDams Tele-Meister

Hi Guys,

Happy 2019 !

I own, as a backup, a Squier Tele Standard (2018 Indonesia), which BTW is an excellent guitar for the price.

It is stock, and I intend to keep it that way as it doesn't really need mods (even the stock AL V pups a really decent).

I just want to swap pickguard (don't care much for that shiny white), for a 1 ply black (or 3 ply).

Now, I know the Squier parts are mostly different from US or MiM Std (bridge plate and such).

I'd like to find a black guard that is a direct fit for a Squier Std (8 holes pattern, PU mounts holes, etc.), and of course, that is NOT $50.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks !

2. Fretman67

Fretman67 TDPRI Member

Not sure if I'm able to post a retailers website but if you PM me I can give you the info.

3. nicod98

nicod98 Tele-Afflicted

to be honest, I've changed a few pickguards over the years, and the worst thing that happened was one screwhole being just a little bit off... Filled it and redrilled

Cobra1957 and WingedWords like this.
  4. Sollophonic

Sollophonic Friend of Leo's

I have fitted standard pickguards to my Squier Standard, with few problems with the screwholes, I think on one of them I had to loosen the control plate to fit it.

The main hassle is the overhang of the 22 fret neck and feeding the guard under that

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Fleabay has a massive range of guards for around $10 bucks delivered from China. Buy from the sellers with really high sales numbers and good feedback. The guards I have bought, around 5 now have all been great and fit Fender tele's well with no mods required.

6. RegularJim

RegularJim TDPRI Member

Try musiclily. They have a website, and they are also readily available on Amazon. I've purchased Tele pickguards from them that fit on both a MIM and Squier Bullet Tele. Huge selection of colors and inexpensive.

7. TheDams

TheDams Tele-Meister

Thanks for all the suggestions guys ;)

8. TheDams

TheDams Tele-Meister

3 weeks later, here is the result (really crappy pic... sorry about that !)

Pickguard 1 ply, mat black.

So, it is my backup Tele (#1 is an American Special)

Re-did the electronics (250k CTS, CRL selector)

Pickups are Slicks Fullerton (truly amazing for the price... one of these "hidden gems" in the world of pickups)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
  9. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's Vendor Member

Famous last words ;).

Another victim of the irresistible "modding bug." [EDIT - you forgot to mention the new knobs and strap locks!]
    I agree the stock pickups in these are really nice but who can resist, with Tele's being so easy and simple to work on. This is a great guitar and I hope you enjoy it a lot. I think the necks on the Squier Standard Teles are just about perfect for me. I actually copy their dimensions when I build my own custom necks.
    I would consider a treble bleed circuit like Fender is using on the American Professional Teles - a .0012uf cap and 150K resistor in parallel, but with a 20K resistor in series with the .0012/150K combo. 20K attached to the first volume lug, the .0012/150K combo to the second. Works very nicely all up and down the volume sweep with a nicer taper than just a .001/150K parallel which is what I normally use. I just soldered up a bunch of these new ones after playing a friend's Am Pro that he had me put a 4-way in, but I have not installed them in anything yet - looking forward to it.

Cheers,
    Rex

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  10. TheDams

TheDams Tele-Meister

:D

Well, as for the mods for electronics, I found that I didn’t really care for the 500k pots. I put a pair of 250k i had in my spare parts bin.

I have the Slick pickups from a previous Slick Tele... just wanted to give them a try in the Squier, and actually liked them on that guitar ;)

[edit: I ALWAYS put strap locks on my axes... and the knobs, well, I had to find knobs that fit CTS, these where parts from my previous Twin Reverb]

11. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's Vendor Member

Oh now you're sounding defensive, and I was just ribbing you about the "keeping it stock" quote. I think everything you did is just great, and you'll like the treble bleed too. That, and a cap in the .022uf range seem to me to go a long way to making your volume and tone knobs way more useful. Did you note what the original cap value was/is?

Mod on,
    Rex

12. TheDams

TheDams Tele-Meister

Don't get me wrong, I am not at all on the defensive :D, I was just explaining the reason for my mods...

As for the cap, I already put a .022uf ;)

But I don't want a treble bleed (well, I don't feel the need for it ;))

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.