Squier Tele Popping sound

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by hughbdoo, Feb 15, 2020.

1. hughbdoo

hughbdoo NEW MEMBER!

Hello Everyone,

I'm new to these forums so apologies if this is posted in the wrong spot. I have a squier CVC that I dropped a baja tele control plate and pickups into. I absolutely love how it sounds, but i'm encountering a small issue with a crackling/popping sound. This sound grows considerably quieter (along with the usual single coil hum) when I touch any piece of metal on the instrument, and is really only noticeable with high gain, but it still bugs me.

I have tried the same amp/cable with different guitars and i am sure the amp isn't the problem. The sound is the same in all switch positions. I have scoured this forum and some others looking for solutions, and have so far ruled out static electricity, a bad tone pot or output jack (replaced both with spares i had around) or bad solder joints as the source of the problem.

I initially though it was a grounding problem, since I had to do some routing in the control cavity and therefore removed some of the original shielding. I re-shielded the cavity with copper foil and connected it to the tone pot and it made no difference, so I think I can rule out grounding. I am beginning to suspect the s1 switch or maybe one of the pickups is faulty, although everything works properly aside from the popping. I'd appreciate if anyone could shed some light on this issue, thanks in advance.

2. Esquier

Esquier TDPRI Member

I was going to guess knuckle static on the pickguard but it still does it when you select the bridge pup.
    Still got something wrong in that jack area? I'll never use that stock Fender jack-cup dilly-whacker no more... I use the Chinese "Electrosocket" jack holder

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.