Squier Tele output jack replacement

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by FuchsMan, May 29, 2020.

1. FuchsMan

FuchsMan TDPRI Member

Hello forum, a new guy with a somewhat new telecaster.
    Got into guitar about 4 months ago. Have been following online resources and am enjoying learning.

I need some advice, because I think my output jack needs replacement.

I have ruled out the cable, since i've tested it with a DMM. I also checked the soldering on the cable terminals.

In addition, regardless if i'm sitting or standing, the jack cuts out randomly when the cable moves. I have a straight connector on one end, and a 90 degree connector on the other end, as 90 degree connectors are better when sitting down for me. The issue is the same independent of which end is plugged in. I have unscrewed the jack plate and the construction of the jack appearing flimsy.

What are my options for replacing the jack?
    Please let me know, have a good day.

(It's has a football style jack plate, on a Squier Affinity telecaster, serial CSSK)

2. Sotakoira Musti

Sotakoira Musti Tele-Holic

I installed standard Switchcraft mono jack to similar CSS-serial Affinity couple of days ago. No mods needed and works like charm.

Edit: welcome!

Last edited: May 29, 2020
    FuchsMan and beagle like this.
  3. Davecam48

Davecam48 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

As an old and retired electronics tech I would suggest you do the easiest and most obvious things first, i.e. fit a new plug on the guitar lead! It's usually the easist and most obvious things that trick you sometimes.

DC

fenderchamp and FuchsMan like this.
  4. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

That's where I'd start too.

Welcome to the forum @FuchsMan .

fenderchamp and FuchsMan like this.
  5. FuchsMan

FuchsMan TDPRI Member

I have just change the guitar lead connector with a brand new spare Neutrik one (1/4in NP2X, silver).
    No luck.

I will have a shop around for the Switch-Craft jack. Thanks for the advice.

Ps:
    I am also considering rewiring the entire guitar in the coming months, because naive me had a look under the control plate and its a horrific scene. Loose frayed wires just floating around, blobs of solder in places they shouldn't be, and some cold joints too. I didn't expect much from a 300$ guitar, but I though at least it wouldn't be that bad.

Tips on what brand for potentiometers/capacitors/wires to use?.
    I am quite experienced with soldering.

Thanks.

6. Sotakoira Musti

With Switchcraft. Had to put an extra washer below, otherwise the jack would sit too out of the plate.

AD86566B-C3EE-468C-81DE-F489834E8FF1.jpeg

And if you’re interested, I’ve torn mine apart just to see what’s inside:

https://www.tdpri.com/threads/2020-affinity-tele-total-obduction.1024053/

Edit: I wasn’t asked, but I’ll say anyways.

Switchcraft jack, Oak Grigsby 3-way, new imperial measurement plate, 2x CTS 250k solid shaft vintage taper pots, new C-lohkossa covereita [meaning cover songs in C-segment -> okay, Finnish autocorrect as it’s best -> shoulda read ”cloth covered] (”pullback”) wiring and 47-mallory/mustard style cap.

Last edited: May 29, 2020
    FuchsMan likes this.
  7. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

Some cables cause this while others don't, unintuitively. Its not a continuity issue: its a dimension and fit up issue. The center pole notch that locks and retains the cable, is slightly off in its location, or off in its shape and depth, and there isn't enough retaining force to keep the poles in contact. If this is the case, you can either replace the cable with one that has a better fit, or you can replace the jacks, or you can re-spring the contacts in your jack, by bending the center pole spring for a tighter fit. I always do the latter on a guitar output jack. Some instruments however, don't provide access to re-spring the contacts, so I've learned which brands of cables don't have this issue.

FuchsMan and beagle like this.
  8. FuchsMan

FuchsMan TDPRI Member

Thanks Musekatcher, I will try that.

Sotakoira thats for the infos. I've had a look, and the tele you gutted had a neater wiring scheme than mine. Also thanks for the recommendation for parts that I can use when rewiring.

How important is cloth wire, really? Additionally I also assume that as long as i buy the cap from a reputable brand, that It'll be okay?

beagle and Sotakoira Musti like this.
  9. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Forget the cloth wiring. It's a gimmick. However, shielded cable to the jack is a great mod -- this is about half of many guitar's idle noise source.

Electrosocket jack mount, because if you have the typical 'cup' mount those cause all kinds of problems over time. If you have the external football or square style with screws then you won't need it.

Switchcraft jack

Bourns or CTS pots (I use Bourns), if you like the tone of your guitar then get similar measured kohm pots (there is a 20% tolerance range) if you want brighter then higher measured kohm volume pot.

Oak-Grigsby 4-way switch, it's like getting a stealth Les Paul as it puts both pickups in series. Wiring diagrams are all over, including the extra ground wire add to the neck pickup.

Try different tone caps, lower uF will give you more sparkle/presence even when the knob is all the way up. Like the push-back wiring gimmick, don't get pulled into boutique caps. They are all about their actual values. Other than buying a meter, just buy a modern green rectangle poly cap as those have a tighter tolerance than many out there and try high and low nominal targets between 0.068uF and 0.01uF.

Aluminum flashing tape the cavities and pickguard, using a meter to verify continuity as you put the tape down (if not then wrinkle or add another bridge strip) and verifying none of your wiring is touching it after installing everything.

10. Sotakoira Musti

Well, a wire is a wire. Cloth wire is easier to install tidely. Plastic covered melt easily when soldering. But IMO any wire will do.

And the cap, a cap is a cap. This is what I use:

https://en.uraltone.com/luthier-shop/guitar-and-bass-tone-caps/mallory-150-s-0-047uf-250v.html

FuchsMan likes this.
  11. Si G X

Si G X Tele-Afflicted

It's not important, it does nothing (some people find it easier to use though) ... for the jack connection I always a bit of screened cable.

yup, doesn't really matter what brand either, just get the value you want.

FuchsMan likes this.
  12. FuchsMan

FuchsMan TDPRI Member

Thanks everyone. What should I choose, log or linear potentiometers?

Sotakoira Musti likes this.
  13. Sotakoira Musti

First you should think about your knobs. Are they solid or split shaft?

CTS 250k is a good call, I think here’s no correct answer. These are the ones I got for both vol and tone:

https://www.kitarapaja.com/cts-250k-vintage-style-solid-audio-pot

And me thinks they’re great!

Buying these will make you get new knobs, the originals won’t fit.

FuchsMan likes this.
  14. FuchsMan

FuchsMan TDPRI Member

Split shaft 11.6mm on my Tele.

Ill take a look at the CTS potentiometers your linked,
    Thanks!

15. WingedWords

WingedWords Tele-Afflicted

I've been using Pure Tone jack sockets which have 4 contacts rather than 2. Very reliable so far.

PTT1_1024x1024_7ceccdbc-c877-4858-b174-a1f0091df186_1024x1024.jpg

tubegeek likes this.
  16. craigs63

craigs63 Tele-Holic

I would just like to commend you for 1) spelling Squier the right way, and 2) noting that it is an output jack, not an input. Carry on!

tubegeek and FuchsMan like this.
  17. Sotakoira Musti

Oh please. I think you’re on the lighter side. Potatoes, bananas, bazookas. We (I) ain’t that good with your English spelling. No need to pick on it?

18. craigs63

craigs63 Tele-Holic

My Finnish is non-existent unless you count Google Translate!

19. Captain Nutslot

Captain Nutslot Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

pull out the jack and bend the long end in a bit so it bites the cable tip tighter... reinstall making sure no wires are touching... might work idk, didn't really read what was going on lol

FuchsMan likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.