1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Squier Tele Custom -to- Custom II

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by yegbert, Feb 13, 2008.

Tags:
  1. yegbert

yegbert Poster Extraordinaire

I have a Squier Tele Custom. I'm replacing the humbuckers with P-90s. I have a pickguard and a set of the P-90 pickups made for a Squier Tele Custom II. I have the pickguard assembly ready to drop in. In doing a test fit I have discovered that I have a limited amount of depth in the body. The pickups bottom out while still sitting about 4/32" above the top of the pickguard.

For anyone who has a Squier Tele Custom II: how high relative to the pickguard and to the strings, do you set your P-90s?

If anyone has a Squier Tele Custom II body handy without the pickguard and pickups in place: how deep is the rout for the pickups? My Squier Tele Custom is about 24/32", except for some areas immediately under the pickup mounting screws that are routed a little deeper. The main body of the stock P-90s are the same depth as the stock humbuckers, however there's more space taken up by the P-90s, for a mounting bar underneath. I'm wondering if the bodies for the Squier Tele Custom IIs were routed any deeper than those for the Squier Tele Customs.

Thanks in advance for anyone who has any info to help me with this!

2. reverend

reverend TDPRI Member

Hi, I have a pair of Squier Tele Custom Humbuckers in drawer, and I'm interested to know what are the pot and also the capacitor sizes on Squier custom. Are the pots 250k or 500k? I can't find the the wiring diagram to check these.

3. metulmykul

metulmykul Tele-Holic

I'd like to help yegbert but i've recently changed my Duncan Designed for Seymour Duncans. This created a heap of issues as none of the mounting plates or covers matched up. I have had to put the SD's on the DD plate even though they don't actually fit or match, then lower them right down as they are a lot hotter and sit higher on the plate. I reckon you'll be safe though.

500k pots but dunno about the caps reverend.

4. yegbert

reverend, the caps from my custom have 223 on them, the ones from my Standards have 333 and are slightly larger. I don't have a meter that can measure capacitance, but those two different caps are almost identical to the Radio Shack "green chiclets" that are .022 and .033 respectively. So my guess is .022.

I like to experiment with different spec caps anyway, so a while back I bought several 5% tolerance Mallory 150s in each of these sizes from Mouser: .022, .033, .047 and .1. Here's a link to the .022, which is the size I use most often including this Custom with P-90s; and here's a link to guitarpartsresource's page that lists those 150s in several popular sizes. I think Mouser is cheaper if you're buying a good handful (shipping is more expensive than guitarpartsresource), but they are easier to find on guitarpartsresource. At the time I bought my stash guitarpartsresource didn't have them.

On my Squier Tele Custom, just like my Squier Standard Teles, the stock volume pots were dime-size split shaft linear taper 500k; the tone pots were the same except for being audio taper. I decided to try some Alpha pots for this P-90 project, so I ordered some from Antique Electronics here. I stuck with the same electronic spec as the stock (500k, linear volume, audio tone) but they are the 3/8" bushing with a 1/4" diameter solid shaft. I had to enlarge the holes in the stock Squier pickguard slightly (small round file), but they fit the Fender '72 Deluxe/Custom knobs I'm using perfectly.

5. yegbert

I got it put together and working, likely high pickup position be damned. It sounds good, probably would be better with the pups a little lower but I had been waiting too long and had to hear this. :lol:

The thicker than stock wire I used was one factor in my first try at this that limited room to lower the pickup, so I'm going to try to find some thinner wire.

The wire type I need is single conductor with a shield and insulation over that, but it needs to be real skinny stuff, even skinnier than the StewMac stuff here. Anyone know where I can find some?

6. reverend

reverend TDPRI Member

Ok, thank you very much for the info.

7. yegbert

I gave up trying to find the skinny wire. I removed some wood in the floor of the cavities to make the room I needed, using a drill and a couple different sizes or forstner bits. Now I have plenty of room to adjust the pickups.

I started off trying to use the same long L-shaped Switchcraft switch the MIM '72 Deluxe/Custom uses and it wouldn't fit. I got a short version and I'm using it instead. It's still a cramped fit, for now the direction of the switch movement is a bit of a compromise.

8. jwsamuel

jwsamuel Friend of Leo's

I have one of each. The bodies are identical. Only the pickguards are different.

Jim

9. eddiewagner

eddiewagner Poster Extraordinaire

is anybody interested in selling me a pickguard for my custom 2? eddie

10. jwsamuel

jwsamuel Friend of Leo's

Edited....did not realize I had already answered this two months ago.

Jim

11. rizZo77

rizZo77 Former Member

i need a pickguard for a custom I, i want to switch out the p90s for humbuckers

12. yegbert

Check out the info in this thread; Music Parts Guru has them new, mine was $15 plus shipping.

I see them occasionally on ebay but since many folks don't seem to know they can get them new for that cheap, the used ones sometimes go for more than those new ones.

You could put an ad in the garage sale here for a used one.

13. rizZo77

rizZo77 Former Member

Thanks, I've sent an e-mail to musicpartsguru asking for one.

14. pchilson

pchilson Friend of Leo's

Are the Duncan Designed P90s in the Custom II the same dimensionally as other soap bar P90s?
    Drop in replacement?

I've always eyed these Custom IIs with desire but have yet to pull the trigger on one. Hmmm....

15. yegbert

The pickups might be dimensionally the same. However, their method of mounting in the Squier Telecaster Custom II is to the pickguard, so there is a flat mounting bar underneath the pickup that the pickup is screwed to, and the screws that go through the pickguard screw into that bar.

I bought one of those stock Squier P-90s used and got the bar with it. I bought the other P-90 new through my local Fender dealer. The new pickup didn't come with the mounting bar, and my Fender dealer couldn't locate and order one of the mounting bars for me.

I used the one bar as a guide and fabricated another mounting bar from a strip of flat aluminum I found in a hardware store.

There's almost no room underneath the P-90 pickups for any extra material. I couldn't find wiring as skinny as the stock wire and the aluminum bar was slighty thicker than the stock brass-looking bar. So I carved the body out some more with a Dremel to make room for the thicker bar and thicker wiring.

I later found somewhat thinner wire from Stewmac. One day I'll take the pickguard off and redo it with the thinner wire, because I have some iffy grounds on the bottom of Alpha pots to fix anyway and the thinner wire is more flexible than the stuff I used.

I like the stock neck P-90 okay but I don't like the stock bridge P-90 as much, it's quite a bit hotter. I'd kinda like to find another P-90 with an output even cooler then the stock neck, put my old neck neck in the bridge and the cooler one in the neck.

But I put the Custom on a back burner and haven't messed around with it lately, I've been preferring to play my Teles with traditional Tele style single coils.

16. pchilson

pchilson Friend of Leo's

So theres no way to use the traditional mounting screws or are they not even in the DD P90s?

From what you see can a traditional P90 be mounted with out the bar and work with the existing pickguard or no?

17. yegbert

With a dogear the mounting screws go through the tabs on each side of the pickup, right? If so, I think the soapbar style would be the easiest to adapt to this guitar.

There are two holes in the cover of the stock Squier P-90s: one between the 2nd and 3rd string polepiece screws; and the other one between the 4th and 5th string polepiece screws. And if I remember correctly, there are holes in the metal baseplate underneath each of those. Are those where the screws would go for a traditional mounting of a soapbar? And I suppose you'd have to remove the plastic pickup cover to insert those screws?

And what goes underneath a traditionally mounted soapbar - is it foam or springs for a somewhat adjustable mounting height? Or some precisely sized and shaped shim of something uncompressible like wood or similar?

You'd have to locate where to mount it, but if my understanding is correct how a soapbar mounts, you could loosely insert the pickup in the pickguard hole, set it in place and make a starter screw hole in the pickup rout with something like an icepick.

The holes in the pickguard for the stock pickguard mounting of the pickup would be left unused.

18. pchilson

pchilson Friend of Leo's

Ok, sounds like it would be doable then if the stock pup has the two holes. I wonder why they mounted it to the pickguard? Did they make it height adjustable mount on the pickguard? I may have to gather up some cash and go find one.

19. yegbert

Yes, the mounting to the pickguard allows you to adjust the height of the pickup.

The design probably allows a less expensive and easier building process, than if they has used a body mounted pickup design.

20. rizZo77

rizZo77 Former Member

I've changed my mind about changing my tele. instead, i bought new p90s for my custom II, but I'm not sure what pots/caps are the right ones to use. I've read that stock pots are 250K, and i haven't really liked the sound of my tele too much, it's muddy and a little too dark. I play punk/alternative/hard rock stuff, so I'm looking for that kind of sound, what should I use?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.