Squier Tele Custom II pawn shop rescue & rebuild

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by AZkoaMan, Apr 29, 2017.

1. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Nice work, much better!

AZkoaMan likes this.
  2. syrynx

syrynx Tele-Afflicted

I love rescue stories.

I love natural finishes, especially after stripping factory paint reveals wood as attractive as this.

I love soft roundovers.

I love "the stock pickups sound great!" stories.

Yessir, this one punches a lot of my buttons. Well done, congratulations, and thanks for sharing in such detail.

Telesphere, nicod98 and AZkoaMan like this.
  3. MonkeyJefferson

MonkeyJefferson Tele-Holic

I've had one since they came out, gigged it a 100 times (it's always my bar backup), and mine has that discoloration, much like yours. It's very "reliced" already- and I commend you on your good work, and for keeping those original pickups. The minute I played mine at the store, and walked out for less than 2 Bills, I felt like I had stolen it. Such a killer ride, and the pickups are perfect if you like cleanish gain....

syrynx and AZkoaMan like this.
  4. AZkoaMan

AZkoaMan Tele-Meister

I used a rasp to rough out the shape of the cut then used a right angle orbital sander with 80 grit paper to smooth it out. These things are amazing for shaping curves on guitars!
    IMG_3704.JPG
    Then I switched a standard orbital sander and used progressively finer grits to get rid of the swirl marks and finished up with a sanding block.

syrynx likes this.
  5. AZkoaMan

AZkoaMan Tele-Meister

I really love this guitar now and the stock pickups are fantastic! How often do you get to say that with a budget instrument! I definitely like a dirty gain and the P-90s have this nasty grind to them that no other pickup has. I love the clean sound just as much. They have the best characteristics of humbuckers and Strat-type single coils: the fullness of humbuckers but the nice top end and articulation of single coils. They're the perfect pickup!

6. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Tele-Afflicted

How do you shave for belly cut?

7. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Tele-Afflicted

Just read 2nd page. Thanks!

AZkoaMan likes this.
  8. cdwillis

cdwillis Tele-Meister

I've refinished a couple Affinity series Squiers and they were both three piece bodies. I've got a MIM Fender strat body that was originally sunburst and there are five pieces of wood underneath a thin veneer they used to make the sunburst top look nice. It doesn't make a difference in tone as far as my ears can tell.

nicod98 likes this.
  9. Marcelo R

Marcelo R Tele-Afflicted

Very nice, congratulations!

10. scottser

scottser Tele-Afflicted

That's a first-rate job. I fully agree the stock pots, switch and jack need to go and i had mine upgraded and the cavities shielded like yours. I couldn't be happier with mine - enjoy ☺

AZkoaMan likes this.
  11. nicod98

nicod98 Tele-Afflicted

You love prety much everything by the looks of it. :)

12. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

I am so impressed by that wood. I would have thought they would save that for a burst body.
    After doing all that work to such a promising body I would have been tempted to buy one those $199 Fender replacement necks.

BTW, the neck on my Affinity is a pretty slim C shape. I like it well enough but our is pretty acceptable to sudden temperature changes.

13. syrynx

syrynx Tele-Afflicted

There's a lot to love on TDPRI! Frankly, I have to stay out of the Tele Home Depot, because I could spend twice the number of hours there are in a day, just groping for words to express my admiration and appreciation. But on the other hand...

I hate 7 1/4" radius fingerboards (in my fretting hand; if it works for you it's fine with me).

I hate lap steels with crappy user interfaces (reflective fret boards and controls and palm rests that interfere with my picking hand).

I especially hate "My new Insertguitarname will be here in two days; what pickups should I get to replace the stockers?" posts.

There should be a fine for using the word "best" in any discussion of something as subjective as music and the tools we use to produce it.

And I probably shouldn't post my thoughts about the sex lives of people who think an electric guitar's signal comes out of an input jack.

But when a post like this one catches my eye, I do try to say not only that I like, but why I like.

AZkoaMan likes this.
  14. knopflerfan

knopflerfan Tele-Afflicted

AZkoaMan - great work. I'm a big fan of "rescues" - guitars, basses, or amps.

AZkoaMan likes this.
  15. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Yeah, that came out nice!

AZkoaMan likes this.
  16. PCTim

PCTim TDPRI Member

This post is my inspiration. Just started mine tonight. Still have to sand it down, but the yellow paint is all gone for now. 20190417_204453.jpg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.