squier tele bullet

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by Rob DiStefano, Jan 19, 2018.

1. RoCkstAr256

RoCkstAr256 Friend of Leo's

Why no surf green bullet tele....

2. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I haven't tried removing the nut yet, but will be doing so before long... I'll post the results!

LutherBurger likes this.
  3. CavalierX

CavalierX TDPRI Member

Yes... both of mine were easy. There is a little glue and the plastic on one kind of broke up, but it was super easy to scrap out and clean up. Just make sure to use a good grippy pliers and pull straight up. The "Graph Tech TUSQ XL Fender-Style Slotted Nut - Aged White" it was a great fit into the slot (width and depth), but it was JUST a touch longer than the neck and needing sanding to round off and fit tight. The string spacing was just right though- no issues with Es being to close to the edge or any of that noise. GL

4. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Poster Extraordinaire

Thank you very much. I normally tap them at one end with a punch and a hammer to get them out, but I'll remember your recommendation and try pliers when the time comes.

5. CavalierX

CavalierX TDPRI Member

Yeah I did have to tap/dig one out after it broke up but it was still pretty clean when I was done. The first one though, pulled out so clean it could have been reinstalled. GL

LutherBurger likes this.
  6. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Poster Extraordinaire

Thanks again for your replies. I replaced mine with a TUSQ XL today.

The nut in mine had been super-glued in, and I had a very difficult time removing it. Tapping it from the ends didn't work, and neither did pulling it with pliers -- the pliers only broke pieces off the top of the nut. I had to tap a tiny, chisel-like screwdriver under one end and pry it out, and then glue back in a chunk of laurel that had come out with it. Lots of swearing was involved.

Blind Owl, SuprHtr and SecretSquirrel like this.
  7. SecretSquirrel

Thanks for the report! I haven't got to mine yet, been putting it off as I do other stuff. But I know now to use caution. In the past, I heated nuts with a hairdryer, which seemed to help them pop out; not sure if that'll help with superglue.

Blind Owl and LutherBurger like this.
  8. jvin248

jvin248 Doctor of Teleocity

Use a saw down the middle of the nut, going across the neck, and then use pliers to collapse the sides into the kerf.

However, those nuts are ok. Just fettle the slots and graphite powder. Saves a potentially big problem.

Players like to 'upgrade' nuts because they are inexpensive but have a huge potential for a worse setup when swapping.

I have seen where the fancy nuts grip strings tighter because the graphite and plastic mixture compresses under wound strings especially creating a ribbed interlock.

Dry graphite powder works wonders. Greases attract and hold dirt.

Blind Owl likes this.
  9. SecretSquirrel

I must say, I haven't noticed any problem with the stock nut, after fettling (thanks for the new verb!) and applying graphite. But an ivory nut would just...make me feel better. :D Won't cost me anything but a little time, and I'll feel good knowing it's there.

A more meaningful upgrade will be a new neck pickup, and since this thread is what spurred me to acquire the guitar, I think OP Rob will be hearing from me before long. :)

10. Bruxist

Bruxist Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Just watched this. Sounds pretty good just stock.

11. Rockdog

Rockdog Tele-Afflicted

The stock pickups are growing on me. I examined them expecting to see the usual single ceramic bar running flush across the bottom. Instead I was delighted to see the two-bar configuration with the slugs in the middle, more or less identical to the stock MIM pickups from the 90s, some personal favorites. They just have that little extra snarl. The only downside I've noticed so far is that the bridge pickup squeals like crazy if I turn up the gain past 3 o'clock on my amp.

SecretSquirrel likes this.
  12. Corvus

Corvus Tele-Meister

God! but we are so spoiled for quality and value these days that I guess some folk have forgotten just how awful and unplayable a cheap guitar used to be. The bullets are incredible value for money and great mod platforms. Once we would have killed for something so good. Perhaps I should write a horror story on "Nasty guitars I hav eknown!"

13. HotDan!

HotDan! Friend of Leo's

For those of you commenting on Bullet necks...They've always been held in high regard with many a Bullet giving up their necks to Partscasters.

14. SuprHtr

SuprHtr Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

For the same reason many have bought Bullets, I bought an Affinity, to use as a platform for modifications. Funny thing is, I've not changed anything out on it yet and am enjoying it! We are living in a golden age of low-cost guitar quality.

JSKC, Rockdog, nicod98 and 1 other person like this.
  15. Danbgreen

Danbgreen TDPRI Member Platinum Supporter

Kept stock ‘cept for some
    Cosmetic changes. Great guitar, little heavy at just under 8bs... $129

Attached Files:

Blind Owl and SecretSquirrel like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.