1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

squier tele bullet

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by Rob DiStefano, Jan 19, 2018.

1. hemmings

hemmings Tele-Meister

The strings were garbage on mine, and I had the ball end break off on the high E as well.
    The way they were installed was berzerk, one string had just one wind on it???
    My advice is new strings, after you polish the frets and oil the fingerboard.
    I used auto polishing compound on the frets using a cloth. It shined them up without damaging the fretboard.
    Once I did that I cleaned up any residue and oiled the fingerboard.
    Mine is looking more like rosewood now than laurel wood.:D

2. LesPaulPlayer001

LesPaulPlayer001 TDPRI Member

Did new strings fix the fretboard friction that is on these guitars?

3. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Earlier I said my frets were fine but some did have that 'scratchy' friction and needed polishing; the top three of four frets had something like a yellowish finish substance or other coating.

Does anyone know what make of strings the factory puts on these?

Despite using .010's on almost everything else, when putting on new strings, I decided to try staying with the .009 gauge that comes on the guitar. Not committed to .009's—bought only one set—but liked the out-of-the-box feel of this guitar enough to give them a chance.

4. SecretSquirrel

About 35 years ago I asked my guitar teacher Al Turay, "how many wraps on the post?"

He held up a finger and said, "One." Two at most, he added.

So ever since then, I've gone for minimal wrap around the tuner posts. Works for me. I'm sure more is no biggie, but after four or more I'd worry about tuning issues as the strings gradually tighten along the wrapped length.

650thunderbird likes this.
  5. Xingshen71

Xingshen71 TDPRI Member

Just picked up one of these the other day. On sale at the a local GC. Brand new in the box. Frets ends were ok. A couple of quick passes with one of those Stew Mac Micro Polish sticks and good to go. Polished frets with some steel wool and cleaned/ conditioned fret board. The Indian Laurel wood cleans up nice. The control plate and cavity accept full size pots and switch. The route for the output jack seems a little big. Mounted an Allparts Electro Socket but will change it with a square style from the parts box. Pickups are ok unless you push them too hard with the gain. Then they seem to lose a lot of the mids. Not happy with the tuners, so I'll be changing them for some Fender/ Ping Sealed ones. I will have to drill the 2 pin holes but no big deal. Overall, a fun guitar!

IMG_20191102_140757770.jpg

IMG_20191102_140757770.jpg IMG_20191102_140812334.jpg IMG_20191102_140823087.jpg
    IMG_20191102_140851549.jpg IMG_20191102_140941421.jpg

willc68, preactor, d barham and 3 others like this.
  6. Xingshen71

Xingshen71 TDPRI Member

For those who might be interested, I measured the pickup resistance. Seem a little light to what I normally see. Need to play with them some more and decide if I'm going to change them out.

NECK:

IMG_20191111_104802298.jpg

BRIDGE:

IMG_20191111_104840961.jpg

SecretSquirrel likes this.
  7. DADGAD

DADGAD Friend of Leo's

But because of the steel pole pieces, the pickups have higher inductance than alnico pole pickups with the same DC resistance. Antigua Tele has explained it here on TDPRI before. Resistance doesn’t tell the whole story of how a pickup will sound.

8. timtheshredder

timtheshredder TDPRI Member

I love the surf green. I just ordered mine. Hopefully, the frets and electronics don't need any work. I'll post some updates when it comes in.

9. Corvus

Corvus Tele-Meister

Regarding low pickup resistance. It is a way of making very cheap pickups - very low wind of thin high resistance wire and then boosting with high power ceramic magnets - I don't like it and I'd certainly change them. There are a lot of decent alnico pickups made in the far east that are very affordable and would be way better. A decent vintage wind for a tele pickup should be at least 6k or more. That said - the actual guitar you get as a Squier Bullet is incredible value, very playable and worth the upgrades.

10. Xingshen71

Xingshen71 TDPRI Member

I played this guitar for several hours straight out of the box with only a minor truss rod adjustment. It played fine with many usable sounds up to a point. The fret ends were not that bad at all. A couple of passes with polish stick was all it took. Polishing the frets and conditioning the fret board wood are just basic setup items and not what I would call defects.

As far as the pickups go, I was able to get some decent clean and over driven sounds out of them. I found them to be somewhat limiting and decided to change them for something more familiar like Alnico's. The resistance values for the stock pickups I previously posted did confirm the limits of these pickups.

Overall, with a little bit of basic polish work and setup, these are fun guitars. Especially when you get one on sale

And for those of you who might be interested:

IMG_20191129_000424460.jpg

Rockdog, DADGAD and SecretSquirrel like this.
  11. The Angle

The Angle Tele-Holic

What's the depth of the neck pickup rout in the deeper screw holes?

12. Xingshen71

Xingshen71 TDPRI Member

I didn't measure before I put her back together. With the thinner body, I don't think a direct mount would be possible.

Fender Sealed Tuners, CRL 3-way switch, CTS 250K dish back pots, Orange Drop Cap and Bootstrap Palo Duro Pickups. Just need a jack plate. The Electro-socket was too loose and everything else I have is too curved.

Will probably change the nut for a Tusq XL eventually. As others have said,the high E is a little close to the lower edge.

IMG_20191202_152504505.jpg

The Angle likes this.
  13. The Angle

The Angle Tele-Holic

Thanks for the note. I asked because I have one of these guitars on order and I intend to drop a mini humbucker into the neck position. It mounts to the pickguard and I'm sure the pickup will fit, but the screws extend an inch below the pickguard. It would just be convenient if the pickup + pickguard assembly will drop right in without any additional routing or drilling to make clearance for those screws.

I ordered a lake placid blue Bullet from MF about two weeks ago, but they're on backorder until Dec. 10. Today I noticed the website indicates surf green Bullets are in stock, so I phoned to switch my order to surf green. The guy I spoke to on the phone checked the warehouse and counted a dozen surf green Bullets on the shelf. Unfortunately, they already had 14 orders ahead of mine, and he didn't think they'd get more surf green until January. I guess I can wait a couple more weeks for lake placid blue. :(

UPDATE: And today, after weeks of the guitar being listed as backordered until Dec. 10, I got a note that it was shipped. This is a full week earlier than expected. Whether it's lake placid blue or surf green, you can color me pleased. :)

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
  14. SecretSquirrel

15. Xingshen71

Xingshen71 TDPRI Member

Angle,

Glad to here you got good news about yours. The surf green was the deal for me but the LPB looks real nice.

SS,

Those look like what come on it which I did not like personally.

The ones I put on where from an American Special Strat and they do not drop in without drilling additional 2-pin holes. Also noted that the 6 main holes seem slightly off from each other. Nothing major and no effect on tuning stability. Not sure of any upgraded tuners that will drop right in.

IMG_20191206_231026997.jpg

IMG_20191206_230958617.jpg

IMG_20191206_230941191.jpg

DADGAD and SecretSquirrel like this.
  16. SecretSquirrel

Thanks—it later occurred to me that those were probably the same low-quality tuners...lot of good they would do me. :lol::rolleyes:

I started noticing some slop in some of the tuning keys—grrr!—so defintiely want to upgrade. I'll measure the holes and do some homework.

Meanwhile I saw these pearloid pickguards for $16 and one arrived this morning...I love it!...

00 Sparkle Tele wPearloid 2.jpg

Definitely plays & sounds better now! :lol:

00 Sparkle Tele wPearloid 1.jpg

Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
    TequilaCaster, Xingshen71 and DADGAD like this.
  17. willc68

willc68 TDPRI Member

E6E3B76F-2F95-49A0-82D5-5140547CDF47.jpeg I just got a red sparkle Bullet Tele and I am super impressed with it.

This is my first Bullet and I really can’t believe I paid 119 for this.
    My 03 Affinity Tele was 160 I think and that was bought new over 15 years ago.

Plus the Bullet has string thru body and electro socket jack where the Affinity is top load and cheap LP style jack.

Now I have only played the new Bullet for about an hour and it definitely needs frets polished and intonation set plus some new strings but so far I think it is an excellent player.
    My old Affinity is a killer guitar in terms of playability and that is why I have kept it for so long.

I have a few parts Teles that ended up costing a lot more than these and the Squiers hold their own with them.

SecretSquirrel and DADGAD like this.
  18. SecretSquirrel

I know! Crazy huh. Congrats!

I've been jamming away on mine with country backing tracks. My 'lounge trio' is game for doing a country twang trio on the side, the bassist and broke into the "Green Acres" theme for a laugh (it's a great tele tune!). I would love to gig the sparkle Bullet.

So far, I'm sticking with .009's on it, and they seem to be working out (use .010's on most everything else). I took #0000 steel wool to the back of the neck, gave it a good burnishing, it feels fantastic.

willc68 likes this.
  19. SecretSquirrel

Also, for anyone getting one of these Bullet teles... check all the screws—a few on mine were rather loose. Same thing on the Bullet Mustang I subsequently got.

20. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Poster Extraordinaire

I'm curious -- has anybody removed the nut from one of these Bullet Telecasters? Was it easy or was it difficult?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.